Saffron Shiner Journal

On 5/30/2022 at 3:41 PM, Torrey said:

Wait, @WhitecloudDynasty is in NC?

When I finally make it back East, we're going to need to plan a pig-picking so I can meet up with everyone!

My last pig-pickin' was in Cary a few years ago - good stuff! (just make sure there is vinegar-based sauce, none of that mustard stuff from SC).

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:31 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

My last pig-pickin' was in Cary a few years ago - good stuff! (just make sure there is vinegar-based sauce, none of that mustard stuff from SC).

Aything other than vinegar based is just a poor imitation of bar-b-q sauce!

::ducks, and runs::

• Haha 2

On 6/20/2022 at 10:51 AM, Fish Folk said:

Here’s a video from last night. I’m trying out a stone container to see if it triggers any into spawning dress. Probably won’t this season. But it’s worth a try…

Glad to see everything going so well with these guys!

May you make many more (and post them for sale/trade please) 😄

Edited by Jawjagrrl
cheekiness
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• 5 months later...

Well… sometimes you win, other times you lose. I definitely lost a battle against a nasty bacterial infection in this Saffron Shiner tank. All fish died. *sigh*

I’ll let things settle awhile, and look forward to a new project in here over the winter. I always get “new-fish-stir-crazy” by mid January… 

• Sad 2

• 6 months later...
On 6/30/2023 at 9:14 AM, JoefishGofish said:

I’ve been hoping to breed these guys as well up here in Canada. 
I’ve had good consistent success with the Rainbows (thanks to @WhitecloudDynasty) and really want to find a breeding group of these….

any suggestions would be great. 

They're tricky to come by. In truth, no one I know of has a system figured out. Mine did not make it due to some nasty bacterial infection that crashed the tank unexpectedly. For me, they never turned red / yellow.

There are some US  aquarists active online who are keeping them and might be able to help. Try visiting the NANFA Facebook page, and making a post about your interest.

I'll add that, sadly, unless you're able to arrange for a trip stateside, that shipping fish into Canada has been tricky. I've wanted to ever so badly, but the paperwork was too much to handle.

Edited by Fish Folk

On 6/30/2023 at 9:18 AM, Fish Folk said:

They're tricky to come by. In truth, no one I know of has a system figured out. Mine did not make it due to some nasty bacterial infection that crashed the tank unexpectedly. For me, they never turned red / yellow.

There are some US  aquarists active online who are keeping them and might be able to help. Try visiting the NANFA Facebook page, and making a post about your interest.

I'll add that, sadly, unless you're able to arrange for a trip stateside, that shipping fish into Canada has been tricky. I've wanted to ever so badly, but the paperwork was too much to handle.

I had the same problem earlier year of breeding rainbow shiner..they was very bad picking up bacteria infection. Now my line maybe more inbred but seem to do better in home aquarium setup 

Edited by WhitecloudDynasty