Filter suggestions for a 3 gallon shrimp tank? Reasonable to go without one?

Ambassador

I have a heavily planted 3 gallon rimless tank setup for shrimp that is on our kitchen countertop. I'd like it to be as clean looking as possible so my original intent was to leave it without a filter but I'm second guessing that choice.  Is the nano HOB they sell here at the Coop the best choice for this purpose? Is it foolish to go without? I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!

Hi @Ambassador. I don't keep shrimp but I have smaller tanks and I really love this filter- it's completely unobtrusive and works for up to a 5 gallon- comes with an extra sponge. I personally have several and pull a sponge from a cycled tank to put in small QTs when I need them:

https://www.amazon.com/Hygger-Aquarium-Single-Sponges-Submersible/dp/B07XZ831WR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2HCGPG4O5STA3&keywords=nano+hygger+filter&qid=1653242895&sprefix=nano+hygger+filt%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-1

Then I'd pair it with ACO's lithium backed air pump in case of power outages it will keep going! 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/all/products/aquarium-co-op-air-pump

You could go with their nano pump but I like the idea of not skipping a beat when the power goes out. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

I have a three gallon that has no filter or heater but contains only snails. I've also had the same tank with fish and a heater but no filter and  a third one with a heater and small Co-op. sponge filter. 

My thoughts are that you probably wont need the HOB filter for bio-filtration but you might want it for mechanical filtration. Detritus can build up pretty fast if you’re not completely on top of vacuuming it out a few times a week. 

• Like 1

The only concern with any internal filter for me would be how much real estate is the filter taking up inside- if it doesn't take up much room I'd not have a problem trying it for sure- I like the Quiet Flow line myself. While @Patrick_G has a good point for detrius I feel like the shrimp do a pretty good job of cleaning most stuff like that. As it is I use that sponge in my 4 gallon cube with 10 CPD a Nerite and a lotta bladder snails and it seems to keep up well with the tank (I actually run 2 because one is on a lithium backed pump) and my clean up crew keeps the tank pretty clean. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 5/22/2022 at 12:32 PM, Ambassador said:

I have a heavily planted 3 gallon rimless tank setup for shrimp that is on our kitchen countertop. I'd like it to be as clean looking as possible so my original intent was to leave it without a filter but I'm second guessing that choice.  Is the nano HOB they sell here at the Coop the best choice for this purpose? Is it foolish to go without? I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!

I don't think it's foolish at all.  I'm doing the same thing with a 5.5 gallon tank on my desk at work.  It has 4 guppies and healthy populations of snails and neocaridina shrimp.  The only thing in it that's plugged into an outlet is the light.  I don't see why a 3 gallon tank with just shrimp wouldn't also be fine.

For a 2.5 g snail tank I used an ACO nano pump but took half off because it is 2 cages snapped together so it was not so tall and could be hid. I cut the sponge in half as well.  It hides nicely and does not take up real estate.  The added circulation keep the BB well and it stays stable. Neocaridina love to let their babies hatch on sponges. It gives them safety and when first released they stay where they are for a bit.  The sponge provides tons of yummies. 

• Like 2

I've considered using the nano sponge but I think the air-stone bubbles would drive me/us nuts. I've been running just a stone in there without a filter as it is getting established and my wife has commented more than once that she isn't a fan of the constant bubbling. I guess if I went with a filter it would be more of a pump style since it is in such a common area...although I'm sure that wouldn't be entirely silent either. 

I guess my preference is for light only but I'm worried if I don't run something in there the plants will die (Montecarlo) or I'm going to find dead shrimp since it seems that most people suggest keeping the water moving in some way. 

I’ve seen plenty of people do filterless aquariums like this and as long as it is heavily planted with a light bio load I wouldn’t see too many issues arising. For something that small I would stick to a sponge filter as I wouldn’t want the shrimp to be living within a vortex lol.

On 5/23/2022 at 2:19 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

As proven, hobbyists like @JettsPapa (and several others) can go filterless and there is lots of evidence and information on the web- this can be done. So if this is what style what you'd like to try- totally go for it! 

There's at least one prominent youtuber who's doing it also.