Pea Puffer 10 - 20 Gallon planted Tank

Hi, I have an empty 10 and 20 gallon tank. I LOVE pea puffers I think they are just the cutest. I have been researching them for months. I am absolutely obsessed. So I want to set up a planted tank for them. I was wondering whether I should use a 10 or a 20 gallon tank. When I do set up the tank I know that I want some dither fish in it two like some Celestial pearl Danio's or maybe ember tetras or harlequin rasboras, etc. I'm going for a sort of jungle type of look. There will definitely have to be lots of plants. Any responses appreciated. Thanks!

Tanks

10 gallon standard

20 gallon high

Thanks I was probably going to do the 20 gallon anyways, but since I also have the 10 gallon I just wanted to ask. 

On 5/20/2022 at 3:11 PM, Colu said:

group of six  as long as you get them all at the same time

I have a good LFS that sells lot's of pea puffers. So when I do get them I will be sure to get them all at once.

Do you have any suggestions for good dither fish for pea puffers?

In my limited personal experience with puffers everything in a puffer tank lives at the discretion of the puffers.

Short fins, fast and middle/top water swimmers probably have a better chance of living  together than anything down low, slow, or long finned. Its possible the pea puffers will decide to pick at those types as well. 

I had my group of 6 in a semi planted 20 long and made  seperate attempts of schools of strawbery rasbora (Boraras naevus), zebra danios, and finally adolescent variatus platies. All got evicted to other tanks by the puffer group danios lasted the longest. Id guess more plants might have helped but puffers really enjoy exploring and really enjoy playing/ grabbing just about everything... eventually. 

I dont think they really need dithers but if I wanted other fish with pea puffers id probably try a big school of ember tetra, celestial  pearl danios, or something like the strawberry rasbora and some nice thick bushy plants and roots to breakline of sight when an escape is necessary

Just FYI, I tried embers in with my pea puffer shoal in a heavily planted 20 long and there were 10 for months, then suddenly 9, then 8, then 7 in a matter of 3 days before I could get the rest out.  They showed no spots, a few fin nips, no bodies found, just gone.  The otos in that tank were reclusive after the embers were moved, so they eventually got moved also after I started seeing fin nips (missing crescent shaped bits from fins).  The otos are much more outgoing without peas.

Amanos survived pretty well, but fishy cohorts were not as happy.