New ACO Tiger Lotus Leaves and Roots Separated from Bulb

So I bought a Tiger Lotus at ACO yesterday and when I got it home to plant it, the leaves and roots had separated from the bulb. Is this normal? Can I still plant just the bulb? If I plant the leaf/root part will it grow too?

Oh, and the bulb stinks like crazy, but that's normal, right? Or does that mean it's busted?

I just sent them a message via the website. I've never had an issue with anything from ACO, but their whole deal makes me think they'll be all about making it right. Pretty much love 'em to pieces either way.

I love that dirt smell BTW. I just squeezed the floss from a couple canister filters in to a new tank. It smells like camping.

• Like 1

• Administrators

The plant can separate from the bulb. As long as the roots grab on in the substrate it should grow. For the stickiness it sounds like some damage happened to the bulb and it started to rot. The bulb is nutrient storage for the plant. As you've reached out to customer service, I'm sure @Candi will get ya taken care of.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:03 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

Thanks, Candi.

I hope this thread doesn't feel tattle-y. I just wanted to find out if it was broken first. I'm still kind of a newby nerm. 

Cuz, like, I'm not sure how Tiger Lotus es work.

It’s a little un-nerving the first time a lily/lotus plant separates from the bulb, but they will usually continue to grow and do fine.  If they grow well enough, they will form a new bulb which can sprout new plants.

Is the bulb firm or squishy?  Does it sink or float?  If it’s squishy or floats, it’s done.  If it’s firm and still sinks, I would try it in a jar or bowl by itself and see what happens.  It may still be OK.  Check it at least 1-2 times weekly to see if it starts floating or gets squishy. Make sure it’s no more than 1/4 to 1/2 covered and I sometimes just leave them sit on top of the substrate.  It might still put out leaves or roots.  If it does either it will eventually do both.

My bulb also separated from the plant and sank when I attempted to plant it. The plant(s) seems to be doing well.  Can I let them drift for a while, or do I need to plant.?  I'm guessing that they will not remain upright as they grow.

If the plants have roots, just plant the roots and they will be fine and grow happily. Do not plant the bulb as it will rot. If you let it sit on the substrate you will see it pop off new plants as long as it's healthy.