Shrimp Haven

zayackylepga

Currently have a Biorb 5 gallon and a Fluval Flex 15 gallon. The biorb houses my neo caradina colony and they’re thriving. However we are moving and I’d like to break the biorb down and move everything to the flex so I can set up the biorb at the new house and let it cycle. The last time I had shrimp in my Fluval flex, for whatever reason the shrimp never made it. They would die during molting because they couldn’t break out of their own shells. Is it the water quality? I NEVER change the water in the biorb, literally just top off because the shrimp produce such little waste. I do about 30% water change every two weeks in the Fluval flex. Would this be why the shrimp have issues molting? Same tap water going into both tanks. Thanks!

C3C24317-92F3-494C-A1E3-EC71E73EE492.jpeg

AC24E8F0-0AB9-4DBD-AC9F-3127B2EFDF45.jpeg

Are the water parameters different? What other differences may there be (temperature/ temp fluctuations)? Is there an age difference (the orb more mature?) or predators? Try and list the differences then you can work towards a probable answer. Is there something in your tap?

On 5/9/2022 at 8:53 PM, Dancing Matt said:

Are the water parameters different? What other differences may there be (temperature/ temp fluctuations)? Is there an age difference (the orb more mature?) or predators? Try and list the differences then you can work towards a probable answer. Is there something in your tap?

The flex runs at about 75 degrees with a heater and the biorb is strictly room temp. Biorb is older but both tanks are old and very established. Nothing in either tank that would eat the shrimp either. I do use ferts in the flex for my plants. Easy Green, Easy Iron, and Seachem Potassium, all invert friendly 

• Like 1

You mentioned the flex is more plant oriented. What about substrate? I'm thinking there is too much difference between the two tanks' water parameters. If so, you need to slowly acclimate your shrimp to the flex 15. Once you get a generation to survive they will do fine.