plant farm idea

SC Fish

so when i finish moving my tanks around (5 gallon into 10 gallon, 10 gallon into a new 20 gallon) i will have a spare 5 gallon tank which i decided i will most likely use for plant growing. im wondering if i can grow plants out of water completely? on a "breathable" (holes in it) rack above water and the tank covered in cling film so that way the water evaporated does not escape and keeps the plants moist and stops vapour escaping.. in the water i will most likely ahve floating plants growing too. will this work? or do plants need to be submerged completely , maybe just some of the roots??

Im not sure if i can pull this off though, as a 15 year old in the middle of exams. but i have faith 

(this whole thing wont happen till next year, proberably)

Edited by SC Fish
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• Administrators

Most plants that we use in the hobby in our aquariums are actually terrestrial or immersed plants. So to answer your question, yes, you should be able to grow plants in the humid environment that you described. Good luck...and study for your exams!

Look for the common terrestrial names of aquarium plants example ludwiga is water primrose. You can get thousands of seeds for a few dollars. Cardinals are commonly sold seeds for terrestrial gardening as well. Most aquarium plants are if you find the common name grow them really humid they should transition ok.  I’m currently experimenting with some but not to sell. 

• Like 1

I used to propegate plants like what you described for years. I actually had a rack that I dedicated to it and was propegating some of the rarer species of crypts, erios, and non-common java ferns. It was a great project, but you need to know your dosing and work on a good substrate mix. Here is an picture of my old setup.

acTecrx.jpg.27813dfec6c34c37495ec5942a66283d.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

@Tihshho your planters on the bottom I have some questions.  Have you grown them from seeds?  I have 3 types of ludwigia seeds 2 have completed stratification the third needs no stratification.  I also have Cardinal lobelia seeds I’m starting this week.  I’m comfortable in sprouting but am uncertain when I should start submerging. Do you have any insight to share on this?  I’m asking on this thread because the OP may benefit.  Thanks. 

On 5/5/2022 at 7:17 PM, Patrick_G said:

@Tihshho, that’s really cool. I might have to start a new project 😁

If you need help, let me know. I ended up growing more plants out of this than I could keep up with. Lots of runners from plants with runners, stems went insane, buces started slow and then exploded, and crypts went through some melt (not all) and then came back in force. Keeping up with these setups was more intensive in trimming than any high tech tank I've maintained once things were going. Key thing was light, nutrients, humidity control, and heat. Some setups I even experimented with atmospheric CO2 injection... That's a whole discussion on its own...

On 5/7/2022 at 12:20 PM, SC Fish said:

Thanks to all off you who gave me info!! really appreciate it!  and thanks @Tihshhofor the picture! really helps!

Anytime! Seeing something makes it easier than just explaining it.

On 5/10/2022 at 8:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

@Tihshho your planters on the bottom I have some questions.  Have you grown them from seeds?  I have 3 types of ludwigia seeds 2 have completed stratification the third needs no stratification.  I also have Cardinal lobelia seeds I’m starting this week.  I’m comfortable in sprouting but am uncertain when I should start submerging. Do you have any insight to share on this?  I’m asking on this thread because the OP may benefit.  Thanks. 

Nothing, besides some Erios, were started from seed. Everything started from cuttings or in-vitro cultures. Per the seed discussions I've seen discussed over years, the best method that worked for people were starting them in seed starters, smaller types of those enclosures you can see on the bottom shelf where I was growing carpeting species of plants.) You can get away with the trays though for the best yield. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...