Tank Advice Welcome

Zac

On 5/3/2022 at 2:48 PM, Fish Folk said:

Endlers will explode in population. Parents don't eat as many as you'd think. If you get good Brooders to start with, you'll end up with MILLIONS in no time. I would build the tank to look beautiful, and not worry too much about fry hiding. But that's just my opinion.

Good idea. My plan is to just have 3 females and maybe 1 male. Then hope to be able to offload the fry at the 5 week mark to try and keep the population under control. Would this be manageable for a 29 gallon?

• Like 1

Okay take this with a grain of salt, I'm just having fun with it a bit because I think you'll ultimately get it the way you like it.

Do you also have an hob filter in there? If so, I'm thinking hang the heater near the intake to disperse the heat more efficiently.
Move sponges to the corners, then place the wood where the rh sponge was, letting that long branch hang over the cave.
Attach anubias and java fern wendetii to wood and caves to help hide equipment.
Jungle val starting from just in front of the heater and then thickening up to hide the lh sponge. 

• Like 1

@ZacBack to the point of your thread.  I would make sure to leave enough room around any hardscape that you can get to the glass for cleaning/scraping.  I would move your main pieces (the wood on the left, the rocks on the right, a little bit closer together so you can clean the glass easily.  Make very certain the rocks won’t collapse (glue them together somehow).  And I would also move those sponge filters farther apart and tuck them behind their nearest hardscape.

I’m a huge fan of sword plants of all types.  Make sure to pick species that will work long term for your tank.  I also love Anubias but they also come in many sizes, so choose carefully.  Keep in mind that it’s easier to compose with fewer species used in larger clumps than putting lots of species in or using them widely dispersed.  You get much better visual impact from larger clumps of the same plant.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 12:58 PM, SC Fish said:

i thought it was pretty common breeding nerites in freshwater???

it just didnt have much luck most the time?

On 5/3/2022 at 1:02 PM, Odd Duck said:

There is apparently a freshwater nerite from Israel but that’s the only one I’ve ever heard about and I’ve never even seen anybody post pics of one.  Loads of people have tried to breed nerites but 99% are unsuccessful, even when switching them to brackish, etc.  Nerites will absolutely lay eggs in freshwater, sometimes abundantly bedazzling everything they can including each other.  Those eggs will even hatch in freshwater.  But the larvae don’t survive.  Do you have pics of your baby nerites?  Maybe there’s some confusion as to what is, or isn’t, a nerite snail?

I had some snails sold to me as Olive Nerites once that bred in my 10g. They seemed to lay eggs in the filter somewhere, then the babies would come out, and their shells would end up in a pile in the middle where my beast of a female betta would leave them. The adults eventually died, no offspring were spared. No other nerites have ever produced offspring for me. Just eggs laid all over the tank, which dissolve.

Edited by BrettD

On 5/3/2022 at 2:58 PM, BrettD said:

Okay take this with a grain of salt, I'm just having fun with it a bit because I think you'll ultimately get it the way you like it.

Do you also have an hob filter in there? If so, I'm thinking hang the heater near the intake to disperse the heat more efficiently.
Move sponges to the corners, then place the wood where the rh sponge was, letting that long branch hang over the cave.
Attach anubias and java fern wendetii to wood and caves to help hide equipment.
Jungle val starting from just in front of the heater and then thickening up to hide the lh sponge. 

The hob is going to be removed when the water is clear. But good thoughts!

• Like 1

Just doodling here...

1622434696_ScreenShot2022-05-03at3_07_55PM.png.b779f4d562af7f519f6ed12d4341a363.png

I'd also add a black backing.

On 5/3/2022 at 2:57 PM, Zac said:

Good idea. My plan is to just have 3 females and maybe 1 male. Then hope to be able to offload the fry at the 5 week mark to try and keep the population under control. Would this be manageable for a 29 gallon?

All depends on your LFS. Fry look better at 3 months. 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/7/2022 at 6:43 PM, Tanked said:

I would also like to see pictures/videos of new born Nerites. The more I read about it, the more confusing it gets. I stumbled on this in another forum, so maybe it is possible.

Hi, I am the OP of the post you've linked. This snail that I am breeding is of the Neritidae family but is of the Genus Theodoxus. This species is Theodoxus jordani, native to my country. Many of the Theodoxus geneus do breed in freshwater and I believe some Theodoxus are becoming more widespread in Europe. Chris Lukhaup posted a while ago about this. https://www.instagram.com/p/CaKvkniIenn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edit: Large Nerites like olives and horned are of the genus Neritina, Clithon, Vitta etc. and need brackish water for eggs to hatch.

Edited by Shadow_Arbor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2