Fish I.D.

Robin

On 7/17/2020 at 9:11 PM, Irene said:

It looks like a peacock gudgeon or Tateurndina ocellicauda. I have one in my community tank who is well-behaved, but I think I heard in an Aquarium Co-Op video that @Cory and @Dean’s Fishroom don't like them for some reason... 🤔

Hmmm, you don't say.   I would like to know more.  My 11 year old wants some for his 29 gallon.  I'm ambivalent.   Do you remember about when that popped up in a video?  Does anyone else have an opinion on this fish?

8 hours ago, Cory said:

They are beautiful fish, but even though they are small they can be a bit feisty. They can wreak havoc on shrimp and such.

Ahh!  Good to know.  He's planning on keeping something in his 29 with his bristlenose.   Since we're still in the process of setting that tank up he has plenty of time to decide.  

21 hours ago, Bob said:

Blasphemy!!! They are awesome little fish!

I agree and I'm thinking of getting more of them now that I've made sure that's what he is. I think they like to be in a group and he's in a community tank with tetras, sterbai cory's, and one cuckoo catfish.

• 5 months later...

I have four Peacock Gudgeons in a 29 gal. with tons of cherry shrimp. As near as I can tell, the gudgeons don't mess with the shrimp.  They certainly don't eat enough to put a dent in the population and I always have babies swimming around. Maybe I just got lucky when purchasing the adults. I am currently raising fry in a tank with cherry shrimp in the hope that they will be conditioned to not see the shrimp as food.