Single quarantine tank or double? - Quarantining Platties and Cory cats

ReeseADHD

I have a a shipment of fish coming in later this week and I need advice on the best method of quarantining. I have a dedicated 9 gallon tank I use for quarantine. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to quarantine 7 platties and 6 Julii corys together for 1-2 weeks in such a small volume of water. If need be I can set up an "emergency" 10 gallon quarantine tank with spare equipment to split them up but it wouldn't be ideal for my living situation & I'm not sure I trust this 10 gallon to hold water. I really don't want to wake up to a blown-out/leaking aquarium. 

I'm going to use the med trio and feed once lightly on the 3rd day of quarantine.

Any suggestions? 

Edited by Lucid_Reese
Rewording for better comprehension

I’ve heard the med trio messes with the cycle, I have no first hand experience with it though I do not preemptively medicate. In that small if it does spikes can happen quick. I use totes and cycled filters for qt.  This may give you options other than an untrusted tank. I store fish equipment in them when they are not in use to make them practical to have instead of just taking up space. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 1:58 PM, Lucid_Reese said:

If need be I can set up an "emergency" 10 gallon quarantine tank with spare equipment to split them up but it wouldn't be ideal for my living situation & I'm not sure I trust this 10 gallon to hold water. I really don't want to wake up to a blown-out/leaking aquarium. 

If they come in at the same time, you can QT them together. If they come from different sources, I would QT them separately.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 7:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

If they come in at the same time, you can QT them together. If they come from different sources, I would QT them separately.

They're coming from the same source but do you think a 9 gallon can handle the bioload of 7 platties and 6 Corries for 1-2 weeks?

Edit* I'm only going to feed lightly once on day 3 

Edited by Lucid_Reese

On 4/24/2022 at 6:05 PM, Lucid_Reese said:

They're coming from the same source but do you think a 9 gallon can handle the bioload of 7 platties and 6 Corries for 1-2 weeks?

Given what's in my 10G right now. Weekly changes. Absolutely.

I think with the meds (depending if you're following the bottle or the co-op method) you would be changing water at least weekly, if not more often.

You bring them in, dose meds, the fish get 2-3 days without food. Then feed lightly?

A side note. Fish are fasted for 2-3 days before shipping.  Then transit time. Depending on how long they are in transit you may want to feed a day or so before meds. This will help them replenish their resources. Meds are somewhat stressful to fish on top of shipping stress. 

• Like 3

On 4/24/2022 at 8:38 PM, Guppysnail said:

Depending on how long they are in transit you may want to feed a day or so before meds.

Thank you for the tip! Just so I understand correctly; put them in quarantine  > feed for 1 or so days > then dose meds?

If it were me and I chose to preemptively medicate I would do exactly that and feed a few times for a day or so depending on how thin they look maybe 3-4 days so they are stronger for the med treatment.  Being that meds are hard on fish I would not want hunger to be the stress straw on the camels back so to speak.  Best of luck with your new group. Looking forward to pictures of them.

• Like 1