Can you identify these weird “parasites”.

Tabeth

I’m currently treating him with Polyguard. He had lost scales…I have another thread about him. And he’s doing better….he’s had 3 doses  

I saw one of these clusters the other say but lost it on the glass ( I have bigger pieces of glass.)

Lots of these black egg things and a tonnnn of the black hairs which I cannot visibly see without the (cheap) microscope. There were waaay more of the threads. Little clusters all rolled up?

he just have some rare thing? I cannot find anything like this online. 

Thanks!C59BA383-D3D3-415C-950E-47B2476F65B0.jpeg.7a6454ec01c4fab0d3721eaf2efb66a9.jpeg

F8B1CD91-36AB-480D-B31C-B86595229C26.jpeg

99ABC26E-263C-43B8-A811-5DD369526FEA.jpeg

339196AE-EFED-4EE9-8FE3-E5A846DD5398.jpeg

149226A0-F6F5-4F4B-A4D8-E46653FC76BB.jpeg

On 4/19/2022 at 6:06 PM, Baphijmm said:

Those definitely do look like eggs. Not sure what; curious to find out myself!

Your "hairs" look to me like arthropod legs. Perhaps insects falling in? Yes, they're tiny, but.

That is a freaking ton of insects!!! Like...it must be hundreds because in my tiny teaspoons I was getting so many. Way less than before, tho. The day I started the meds there were soooo many! Little rolled up balls...I don't know. It's seems so gross and i hope its helping. 

Nobody seems to be able to figure out what my guys problem is! When I scraped under one of the scales that fell of there were some little wiggly things which I thought maybe was flukes. 

Thank you so much!!!

I don’t see any parasites or eggs in any of your pics.  I see pieces of assorted plant material mostly (small enough it could be from the food), possibly some insect parts but some looks more like fungal hyphae.  None that looks like infectious fungus, it looks like incidental, environmental stuff, and just some random bits.

Most parasites will look like “something” even if you don’t know what it is exactly.  They will either be moving actively and hard to keep in focus, or they will have a fairly definite shell or cell wall or cell membrane, with something inside that may even have a bit of movement but will definitely have some visible structures or organelles, but they look more “alive” if that makes sense.

If you can put some of the “wiggly things” from scraping under the scales under the microscope that might be much more helpful.

Flukes are fairly substantial, not usually described as tiny.

• Like 2

I have had my windows open and soon I started to see where red worms. As in the pics. They are blood worms. Before I figured that out I saw similar to what looked like insect legs. Turns out they where pies of midge flies. The third pic sort looks like 7F82B38F-4974-4FC6-BFFF-EE57349F08DC.jpeg.903a514f408085b0f8708ae68238b568.jpegplant cell walls they can appear as rectangle or squares.as a plant breaks down the nucleus will break down and leave just cell walls. Not sure if this what it is but there are some  similarities. I don’t have a great micro scope and it’s near impossible to to take pics.. I’m not sure of the stages of the blood worm but I know there are many larvae stages before turning in a nymph.

A15F17DA-9E54-4DC1-8446-0E5812F0B977.jpeg

On 4/19/2022 at 10:07 PM, Odd Duck said:

I don’t see any parasites or eggs in any of your pics.  I see pieces of assorted plant material mostly (small enough it could be from the food), possibly some insect parts but some looks more like fungal hyphae.  None that looks like infectious fungus, it looks like incidental, environmental stuff, and just some random bits.

Most parasites will look like “something” even if you don’t know what it is exactly.  They will either be moving actively and hard to keep in focus, or they will have a fairly definite shell or cell wall or cell membrane, with something inside that may even have a bit of movement but will definitely have some visible structures or organelles, but they look more “alive” if that makes sense.

If you can put some of the “wiggly things” from scraping under the scales under the microscope that might be much more helpful.

Flukes are fairly substantial, not usually described as tiny.

The first video shows more closely. I really scraped the underside of a fallen scale and saw a few worms wiggling. 

thank you! Wiggling things here  I don’t think I see any more thought  

On 4/20/2022 at 12:26 AM, Brandon p said:

I have had my windows open and soon I started to see where red worms. As in the pics. They are blood worms. Before I figured that out I saw similar to what looked like insect legs. Turns out they where pies of midge flies. The third pic sort looks likplant cell walls they can appear as rectangle or squares.as a plant breaks down the nucleus will break down and leave just cell walls. Not sure if this what it is but there are some  similarities. I don’t have a great micro scope and it’s near impossible to to take pics.. I’m not sure of the stages of the blood worm but I know there are many larvae stages before turning in a nymph.

A15F17DA-9E54-4DC1-8446-0E5812F0B977.jpeg

Edited by Tabeth
Wrong video…
  • Love 1

On 4/20/2022 at 6:46 AM, Tabeth said:

Also I do feed bloodworms occasionally. But I can not see these threads to the naked eye. I will trust you tho….

I don’t feed them they are just natural everywhere here and can fit trough the screen. I only time I every have a problem is once and awhile one can pick off a anglefish fry when the the parents move them to a pot saucer

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 10:54 AM, Odd Duck said:

I don’t see anything that looks like a parasite.  I think you’re seeing normal protozoal organisms.  Can you link the post that has pics of your fish?

Thank you !!!!

Edited by Tabeth

On 4/20/2022 at 10:05 AM, Tabeth said:

That only takes me to the “Diseases” section.  If you open the post where the pics of the actual fish are, then click on the 3 little dots, then share, that will create the right link.  I’ve tried searching for your posts and for some reason it’s only taking me to this same thread.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 11:09 AM, Odd Duck said:

That only takes me to the “Diseases” section.  If you open the post where the pics of the actual fish are, then click on the 3 little dots, then share, that will create the right link.  I’ve tried searching for your posts and for some reason it’s only taking me to this same thread.

sorry! 

Does he still have the tiny white worm looking thing sticking out from underneath the scale on his left side? I’m guessing the clear with tiny globules looking thing has come off since that just looks like a glob of mucus dangling, not any parasite I’ve ever heard of or seen.

Can you please summarize for me, in order, every treatment you’ve done?  State dates if you can (estimates are fine).  State any repeats in the order they were done.  For instance:

treated with Expel-P on 3/1.

Treated with PraziPro on 3/3.

Repeated dose of Expel-P on 3/7 and 3/14.

Repeated PraziPro on 3/16.  Etc.

Please include salt dosing, water changes, etc, as close as you can get, if you added salt with water changes, everything you can think of that you’ve done.  It seems pics and doses are spread across at least 3 different threads, so a summary of all treatments collected here is the next step for me when I’m trying to sort through treatment options.

• Thanks 1

Other details: Pics to follow

Thank you guys so much.

I have had him for two years, started in the pond for summer and came inside last fall. He's in 40 gallon alone (friend passed away about a month now). He has two airstones and a bubble wall, a heater, a filter. I use prime changing the water. I double the dose usually because I have higher chloromine...Someone helped me with this. Dottie was very floaty after water changes.

Paremeters:

Temp78

Ph 7.5

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5.-10

salt 1 tablesoon /per 3 gallons

Polyguard for over a week now

I change his water frequnetly, weekly at least usually more

He eats terrific.

Poops seem ok until yesterda.....and I noticed these segmented odd poops. It looked like fish pellets. Unusual for him....so I got the microscope out and tried again.

History...

July I aquired a new betta. (Had switched some media between them....I have learned its a no no)

Sept 28 dotti rubbing

Oct 15 Clems scales noticed lost

Oct 24 noticed lost scale again

Octs dotties fins begin to tear. Frequent water change.

Oct 25 Dottie wicked itchy begin salt 1 tabspoon per 5 gallons

Oct 30 Begin PraziPro. WHen I have began prazipro they got super itchy and it seems to stop and then I stop the Prazi and they start again.

November..Begin investigating more. Friend notices he yawns plus Dottis rubbing.

Nov 13 stopped Prazi

Around NOv 30 another full treatment of praiz

November Dotties tail starts to streak down...some red

NOcember Clem weird whiteish longish poop....told it was ok

Around December I begain Paraguard for around 3 weeks

December ...I Tried Prazi again few weeks

Start Polyguard, starts rubbing glass floor

Noticed the worm out mouth 2 days later at 4am and have not seen another. They seemed like small threads and they weren't super long.

April 1 He lost another scale so I scraped under it and atually did see 2 or 3 wiggling worms via microscope. I haven't yet seen anymore after that time. Nobody else has confirmed this but I swear I see the two worms twitching.

4/5 begin salt 1 tblsp/3 gallons...this has been consistent since this date

4/10  dosage of polyguard

4/13

4/16

4/19

4/22

Today I'm studying him and I noticed a couple of other things on his right side that look like they are sticking out of him like the other one. I will put some videos up on youtube and I have other pictures I will add following this post

Edited by Tabeth

On 4/20/2022 at 10:54 AM, Odd Duck said:

I don’t see anything that looks like a parasite.  I think you’re seeing normal protozoal organisms.  Can you link the post that has pics of your fish?

I agree

You may be feed to much if it is pooping like that. Is the poop clear? If not I don’t see a problem. 

• Like 1

His poop isn't clear! 

On 4/22/2022 at 2:41 AM, Brandon p said:

I agree

You may be feed to much if it is pooping like that. Is the poop clear? If not I don’t see a problem. 

I can't figure out the quote thing....

His poop is usually green vegetation like stuff.  He's been mostly on greens and repashy and occasionally a bit of banana or orange pulp. Once a week blood worms or brine shrimp. Now that I think of it, I gave him a tiiiny pinch of dry food the other day. That stuff must swell up like crazy. 

He is acting well mainly. I wouldn't' think he was sick without the scales falling off. It's been at least or 8....since they started in the fall and when using the prazipro they were scratching after beginning it and then once I had stopped for a day or so it began. (the worm/mouth too is upsetting. Haven't seen it again. That happened a few days after I started the Polyguard which I had thought was maybe killing them. 

I know I'm crazy. Apologies...anxiety here.

Possible camallanus worms it can take four courses of treatment a week apart with Expel p to deal with them the  internal damage caused by the worm's can kill your fish even after treatment

Edited by Colu
Typo
  • Like 1

He could have had them for months depending on the number he had to begin with and the life cycle of the different worms since it looks like you’ve got 2 different kinds there.  But we know that Camallanus need at least 4 treatments minimum and honestly, I’d do 6 treatments, once weekly for at least 4 treatments, then maybe do every other week for another 2 treatments.  This should also cover the white worms in the ball ‘O worms you’ve got there.

I would dose with PraziPro every other week for 3-4 treatments.  The type of worms that PraziPro gets only need dosing every other week.

Oh boy. I cleaned his filter last night and forgot to dump the water.  This morning I walked by the bucket and thought weird! Wonder how a pine needle get in there??

and tonight….cleaning and this is def a worm!!    

77AF002D-3F05-4002-870C-C0A90A3200DA.jpeg