Can you identify these weird “parasites”.

Tabeth

Ammonia spike

I did one treatment if expel p yesterday. 
24 hours later this morning changed 25%

tonight (about 30 hours after dose)ammonia is spiked. What should I do?

Can I change more water? Shiuld I redose the expel p? 

Should I dose prime?

ty!! I really appreciate all your help!

Having no direct experience with this, I'd expect the ammonia spike is likely (or at least hopefully!) from the large quantity of parasitic worms now dying in the tank. Personally, I'd do water changes, even though that can screw with medication levels. You can always re-dose meds; you can't re-alive a fish dead from water toxins.

• Like 1

Here are a few more disgusting pictures. These look like tiny threads all twisted together and kind of segmented. This is the second large one….

someone advised me a microscope is good to have!  For a very cheap pocket one I think it’s not too bad!

4B7BDE0A-A6DA-444A-A15F-2602B78A8272.jpeg

7E9F1B15-7ED7-4F0E-9969-7506076F7266.jpeg

F3D258A7-42DE-45F4-A99B-91C897CF7DF4.jpeg

9FAB44BD-3F86-4146-93E6-E64D534FC99A.jpeg

DE799CA5-45FE-4E53-96E7-DA8B60AF9E90.jpeg

Do I add more medication tho? I did. If removed water?

this morning there were a few disgusting super long gross white “poop” wrapped around some silk plants which resembled worms and that looked like the white poop that I read hangs down from the fish. Super gross. I hope that is the white worms we saw. 

I made some medicated food. Shiuld I use this daily? He takes it well. 

thanks!

Edited by Tabeth

Could they have been there for 2 years? He has always has one side larger. someone had mentioned worms, egg bound, air bladder…..or tumor.  

Does this med have a long half life working for a week?

I’ve treated my betta last night.. He was the last fish I got. I definitely switched media/plants. He seems ok but thought it was best. My other betta died last week but I thought it was his age. And he seemed to have what I thought was a tumor in his side. he was over 2.5 years  

I’m so thankful for the expel p rec!

Edited by Tabeth

I think you are using the microscope to much. The are tons of Micro organisms in water from aquariums. Take a look at like water. You may be a little to worried .I’m not saying it’s not but it could but details worms or something harmless as well.

Edited by Brandon p

I’ve had camallanus a few times, the local stores seem to be infected from where they get their fish. The consensus around here is treat, leave it in water for three days. Worms start falling out in a few hours BUT you want the ones in the tank dead too, that is why three days. You can vacuum gravel, just don’t add more water for three days unless u have to because you vacuumed the water too low. Then yes dose for  the amount of water you added. If you have an ammonia spike just add a bit of prime or whatever you have to bind the ammonia. It will be OK if you unplug the heater it may be putting stress on the goldfish as they are generally good in cold water. And bacteria grows faster the warmer the tank is. After three days do a big water change you know like 80% with a gravel vacuum. In three weeks eggs that might still be in the tank will hatch and you can do one more treatment in three weeks. That is how I do it and many of my fish are 12 years old. Good luck, I hope your buddy gets better

Add a very small amount of salt just a tablespoon for your 40 gallons it helps with the ammonia. I know a lot of people like to add a ton more salt but it is not necessary

I would just dose once a week for the 24hr water change and repeat the treatment in a week's time it can take up to four course of treatment just make sure to gravel vacc to remove as many of the dead worms and eggs after each treatment as for primes ok to use along side of water changes if you get an ammonia spike keep doing water changes Daily and add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any ammonia 

Hey you guys! I’m still treating Clem. I started the expel p and now I’m on the prazi pro. I haven’t noticed any scales lately which was good. But now with the prazi I have found 3 scales cleaning his tank tonight. The light to my scope needs a new battery so I didn’t get super clear shots. I put them in a container to examine tomorrow. 

i also found another long red worm and only checked the scales since they fell off. I didn’t see anything moving. This chunk of black stuff isn’t visible to the naked eye. 

A4B3BEF4-73E3-441C-9939-7B99C55DE98F.jpeg

9AA2C90B-2660-4080-BAC3-69BB94A73372.jpeg

27F11359-BB5F-401E-A6B9-446E7C0A1EDA.jpeg

3CDFAC90-5A18-46EE-A9CC-AEABDB78C2F8.jpeg

8ADC2AB0-9614-4665-863C-34ACE986E92F.jpeg

2ACB7692-863E-4C78-986A-E1746977A929.jpeg