Stocking ideas 20 long

JessLynne7

On 4/21/2022 at 9:02 AM, Guppysnail said:

Lots of fun cold water fish. If I had a nickel for every time I planned a tank and it changed 10 times before fish hit the water……🤣

Hahahha right 

you would be rich!!!

I am gonna do it. I am headed to lfs to get a small school of minis or gold barbs and start there.

On 4/21/2022 at 4:16 AM, JessLynne7 said:

Yes I have mixed feelings on Corys. Part of me wants to get some and the other part of me doesn’t. Maybe I need to dog deeper

I'd go with either pygmy - around 12 or so in a 20 long - they are not the prettiest fish but they are really fun to watch as they swim in packs - also eques (very expensive) are very bold out going cory - only 6 to 8 in a 20 long. My orange laser are pretty cory but they hide all day long and my sterbai are easily frightened - nothing seems to frighten eques. Another fish you could consider are kuhli loaches. Yet another fish you could consider are dwarf loaches - these guys zoom around everywhere - you want at least 12 of them - of course you can't get everything - or even most fishes so it is best to plan an entire stocking - but dwarf loaches and kubotai rasbora make an interesting combination with everything in motion. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 11:15 AM, hannah662parker said:

I had chili rasboras with my bettas in community tanks and they did great because they're so small and fast. Ember tetras are also pretty fast. 

Chilis are so cute. And embers both great suggestions 

On 4/21/2022 at 12:01 PM, anewbie said:

I'd go with either pygmy - around 12 or so in a 20 long - they are not the prettiest fish but they are really fun to watch as they swim in packs - also eques (very expensive) are very bold out going cory - only 6 to 8 in a 20 long. My orange laser are pretty cory but they hide all day long and my sterbai are easily frightened - nothing seems to frighten eques. Another fish you could consider are kuhli loaches. Yet another fish you could consider are dwarf loaches - these guys zoom around everywhere - you want at least 12 of them - of course you can't get everything - or even most fishes so it is best to plan an entire stocking - but dwarf loaches and kubotai rasbora make an interesting combination with everything in motion. 

I was worried about cities and the river rock gravel substrate 

everyone loves the loaches but idk they freak me out lol

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, JessLynne7 said:

Chilis are so cute. And embers both great suggestions 

I was worried about cities and the river rock gravel substrate 

everyone loves the loaches but idk they freak me out lol

River rock is awful for most bottom dwellers (cory, pleco, loaches); if you are going to keep any of those you want a fine sandy substrate. Well some loaches are ok with gravel - so depends on the species. I guess that is true of some pleco. Basically some river fishes have rougher substrates - you need to check carefully but soft sand is best for most.

On 4/21/2022 at 3:48 PM, anewbie said:

River rock is awful for most bottom dwellers (cory, pleco, loaches); if you are going to keep any of those you want a fine sandy substrate. Well some loaches are ok with gravel - so depends on the species. I guess that is true of some pleco. Basically some river fishes have rougher substrates - you need to check carefully but soft sand is best for most.

I’m a fan of the gravel. I know loaches and cories are out bc of that.

had gravel with plecos in past but I can always cap it if I need too

Went cold water temperate no. Gold barb first addition 

6BECB53F-962C-40AB-AB11-5D21A8231527.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 7:09 PM, JessLynne7 said:

I’m a fan of the gravel. I know loaches and cories are out bc of that.

had gravel with plecos in past but I can always cap it if I need too

Went cold water temperate no. Gold barb first addition 

6BECB53F-962C-40AB-AB11-5D21A8231527.jpeg

actually, cory's really do fine on gravel. only concern would be if it had sharp edges, which most aquarium gravel doesnt.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 10:49 PM, lefty o said:

actually, cory's really do fine on gravel. only concern would be if it had sharp edges, which most aquarium gravel doesnt.

That’s good to know. That opens the door a bit.

it is sand pebble gravel from hardware store ( I cheaped out).

On 4/21/2022 at 9:49 PM, lefty o said:

It isn't ideal; cory like to shift through the sand and larger particles can get stuck in their gills. very fine sand is much more appropriate. That doesn't mean they won't be able to live on gravel but it isn't as healthy.

On 4/22/2022 at 6:55 AM, Guppysnail said:

I keep Pygmy and panda Cory on gravel. Their barbels are fine. I used to keep albino on gravel. They did just fine as well. I buy cheap big box gravel when it’s on super sale. 🤣

I can’t blame you there. That stuff can get expensive.

I got some at lowes sand gravel it’s called and it’s super pretty 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 9:07 AM, JessLynne7 said:

I can’t blame you there. That stuff can get expensive.

I got some at lowes sand gravel it’s called and it’s super pretty 

I can’t wait to see it!  I may try some next time. Always like to save a few cents. 

On 4/22/2022 at 7:09 AM, anewbie said:

It isn't ideal; cory like to shift through the sand and larger particles can get stuck in their gills. very fine sand is much more appropriate. That doesn't mean they won't be able to live on gravel but it isn't as healthy.

living in a glass box isnt ideal either.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 9:49 AM, Guppysnail said:

I can’t wait to see it!  I may try some next time. Always like to save a few cents. 

So far I have five gold barbs. I ordered a calico pleco - it will arrive next week.

I have some driftwood soaking as we speak you can kind see the gravel it’s light colored and prettyBA59EBD7-BDD1-4056-BD11-4BEFA1BE8AB5.jpeg.79a179c5e3298fb7d84be1e5e66118f3.jpeg

On 4/22/2022 at 9:52 AM, lefty o said:

living in a glass box isnt ideal either.

That’s so true. We trap them for our entertainment 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:29 AM, JessLynne7 said:

So far I have five gold barbs. I ordered a calico pleco - it will arrive next week.

I have some driftwood soaking as we speak you can kind see the gravel it’s light colored and prettyBA59EBD7-BDD1-4056-BD11-4BEFA1BE8AB5.jpeg.79a179c5e3298fb7d84be1e5e66118f3.jpeg

That’s so true. We trap them for our entertainment 

Same kind of argument as our cats and dogs develop Stockholm syndrome because we trap them with us as babies... maybe objectively true, but they're better with us as good owners than in the pet store. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 8:49 PM, lefty o said:

Yes! I know a lot of people suggest sand as really the only option for cories but I think I remember that Cory traveled to see them in their natural habitat and found that the substrate was surprisingly sharp. 

I vote for cories too! 

On 4/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, Jennifer V said:

Yes! I know a lot of people suggest sand as really the only option for cories but I think I remember that Cory traveled to see them in their natural habitat and found that the substrate was surprisingly sharp. 

I vote for cories too! 

absolutely, they dont exist in the wild in what fish keepers consider the environment they should be in.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, hannah662parker said:

Same kind of argument as our cats and dogs develop Stockholm syndrome because we trap them with us as babies... maybe objectively true, but they're better with us as good owners than in the pet store. 

That is true. We take care of all our animals friends 

On 4/22/2022 at 11:52 AM, lefty o said:

absolutely, they dont exist in the wild in what fish keepers consider the environment they should be in.

Maybe we tend to worry or over think things 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 12:09 PM, JessLynne7 said:

Maybe we tend to worry or over think things

Always. Fish are resilient and adaptable to so many things. Nature is not kind or pampering yet they survive. We keep them in ideal settings with free easy consistent food and still fret. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 12:14 PM, Guppysnail said:

Always. Fish are resilient and adaptable to so many things. Nature is not kind or pampering yet they survive. We keep them in ideal settings with free easy consistent food and still fret. 

That’s true. I’ve been worried about the baby barbs ever since they got dropped in

• Like 1