Stocking ideas 20 long

JessLynne7

On 4/17/2022 at 11:37 AM, JessLynne7 said:

could I stock 4-5 ember tetras or harlequin rasboras or is that too much.

The beta might snap at those fish.  Depending on what the scape is, the fish might not be able to get away.

It really depends on the temperament of the betta fish as to what can be around it.

The pleco can have a cave, so that's not an issue.  The main thing is to make sure the fish can escape or hide.

Thank you everyone.

I have a pleco cave, a smaller rock cave and a large vase type cave. I have tons of silk plants and am experimenting with my first live plant. Java fern.

I’ve always had bettas and bn plecos but this time I wanted to throw something different in the mix.

ps I typically go for plakat styles in my betas. I like them better than ones with long fins. Just a personal preference 

On 4/17/2022 at 6:39 PM, Its Hutch said:

Sounds nice, I'd include live plants and a wood piece of some sort. 

@Its Hutch I have some Sertculia pods. I think that is how you say it. I got a few of those for the BN bc I am having a hard time finding the right piece of wood. KJE aquatics had these pods and it says they are good for BN and they are big enough 

On 4/17/2022 at 8:42 PM, lefty o said:

java ferns are normally a good first plant, they tend to be durable. slow to grow, and slow to die.

@lefty o

Previously I had a very small led light. I invested in a better light that has white, red and blue to help with the plants.

I think I want some Java moss and or water sprite. I like the Monte Carlo but do not think I have a good set up for it. For now I’ll stick with Java fern. I actually got the windelov type from aquarium coop 

On 4/17/2022 at 6:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The beta might snap at those fish.  Depending on what the scape is, the fish might not be able to get away.

It really depends on the temperament of the betta fish as to what can be around it.

The pleco can have a cave, so that's not an issue.  The main thing is to make sure the fish can escape or hide.

@nabokovfan87

yes your right you cannot predict temperament 

I have a beta now in a 10 gallon and am setting up the new aquarium.

so I have a back up tank in case.

some things I heard was add all the other fish first and beta last. Pay close attention at feeding time to make sure their is no fighting over food. And of course lots of stuff to break line of sight. 
I have that part covered I have so much stuff I feel like it is too much.

i kept fish as a kid with my dad and got back into a few years back. I was trying to help my niece set up a tank and realized I was not doing a good job as a fish keeper 

I’ve been reading and learning and want to do better for my animals. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 9:52 PM, JessLynne7 said:

@Its Hutch I have some Sertculia pods. I think that is how you say it. I got a few of those for the BN bc I am having a hard time finding the right piece of wood. KJE aquatics had these pods and it says they are good for BN and they are big enough 

@lefty o

Previously I had a very small led light. I invested in a better light that has white, red and blue to help with the plants.

I think I want some Java moss and or water sprite. I like the Monte Carlo but do not think I have a good set up for it. For now I’ll stick with Java fern. I actually got the windelov type from aquarium coop 

word to the wise, too much blue light will grow algae very well.

On 4/17/2022 at 11:46 PM, lefty o said:

word to the wise, too much blue light will grow algae very well.

That is good to know. I did not know that.

i will keep you all posted on how it goes. 

I ordered an whiten jagger and it should be here Tuesday. My Fluval is on my 10 gallon and I need to leave it in there for my betta

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 8:00 PM, JessLynne7 said:

so I have a back up tank in case.

That's perfect. I think because of the shape of the fish, rasboras and tetras might get picked on (narrow, slender bodies). Flat bodied fish would be bigger targets too, so that's what concerns me. Something that is out of eyesight would be best, bottom dwellers or something that can retreat to cover. If there is height to the tank..... That's an interesting dilemma.

On 4/17/2022 at 8:00 PM, JessLynne7 said:

i kept fish as a kid with my dad and got back into a few years back. I was trying to help my niece set up a tank and realized I was not doing a good job as a fish keeper 

Same reason I got back into. Awesome stuff 🙂

On 4/18/2022 at 12:32 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

That's perfect. I think because of the shape of the fish, rasboras and tetras might get picked on (narrow, slender bodies). Flat bodied fish would be bigger targets too, so that's what concerns me. Something that is out of eyesight would be best, bottom dwellers or something that can retreat to cover. If there is height to the tank..... That's an interesting dilemma.

It’s a 20 long so it’s longer vs wider.

i definitely don’t want fish getting picked on.

On 4/17/2022 at 9:34 PM, JessLynne7 said:

It’s a 20 long so it’s longer vs wider.

i definitely don’t want fish getting picked on.

Yeah exactly, that's why I was concerned. I feel like you're setting up two awesome tanks.  I would take it as a win if the Betta didn't go after shrimp. But there's stuff like corys that might be fine in that situation.

A 20L, nano fish (a few varieties) isn't a tank I've had for such a long time, but is a great concept that so many people develop. My favorite is barbs, but green rasboras are pretty cool too.

@nabokovfan87

your right their are some cool nano tanks out there.

I love my betas they have personality.

I also like cat fish and plecos bc I am a country girl and we like cat fish lol.

I just thought ya know maybe throw in a small school and do something different.

out of all the fish I have been looking at I really like the harlequins they just look cool,lol.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 9:40 PM, JessLynne7 said:

I also like cat fish and plecos bc I am a country girl and we like cat fish lol.

Depending on substrate and temperature requirements you can definitely fit some catfish. Maybe a bumblebee catfish? Corys are catfish, but definitely not the normal shape of one.

On 4/17/2022 at 9:40 PM, JessLynne7 said:

I just thought ya know maybe throw in a small school and do something different.

out of all the fish I have been looking at I really like the harlequins they just look cool,lol.

Definitely! I have had some, they have an amazing bronze color that shines really nicely against plants. There's a lot of nice rasboras out there. Pencil fish too. So many choices.

On 4/18/2022 at 12:42 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Depending on substrate and temperature requirements you can definitely fit some catfish. Maybe a bumblebee catfish? Corys are catfish, but definitely not the normal shape of one.

@nabokovfan87

I will look up bumble bees. I am not familiar with those. Of course I know about Cory’s.

one day of I ever get a monster fish tank I want a red tail cat but they get huuuggggeeee

On 4/18/2022 at 1:16 AM, freemoney said:

Add the Betta last. Had my Betta and neons in a 10 gallon for a year with no issues. When I upgraded to a 20G there were issues. Not certain the issues were caused by putting the betta in first, but it was a possibility.

@freemoney

i have read about that and it’s good to hear someone’s first hand experience 

thanks

On 4/17/2022 at 1:37 PM, JessLynne7 said:

Looking for some stocking ideas for a 20 long.

I know I want a beta and bristlenose pleco.

could I stock 4-5 ember tetras or harlequin rasboras or is that too much.

I have a sponge filter and a tidal 35.

betta prefer 80; rasbora and ember prefer 76 - pick one or the other. 

-

Personally I would not keep a bn in a 20 long - well a small female might work but a full size male doesn't work well. Been there done that learned.

On 4/20/2022 at 2:50 PM, anewbie said:

betta prefer 80; rasbora and ember prefer 76 - pick one or the other. 

-

Personally I would not keep a bn in a 20 long - well a small female might work but a full size male doesn't work well. Been there done that learned.

Thank you

ive heard BN are hard to sex when they are young.

On 4/20/2022 at 3:44 PM, JessLynne7 said:

Thank you

ive heard BN are hard to sex when they are young.

Next to impossible. I have some baby lemons that are over  4 months old and i cant' sex them yet (I've only 'rescued' 4 from my nannacara who keeps the population under control). They grow very slowly the first 4 or 5 months. 

Also the advantage of a female is she will be out a lot more often during the day; the male tends to hide in his cave during the day.