Is this tank a lost cause?

KnineDHP

Is this acrylic tank toast?  This is a bottom seam near the front right corner. There are a few of these this is the largest. Is there a fix? I don’t know if it leaks I do t want the seam to have any moisture in it if it can be repaired. 

thanks for the advice. 

8B0A5211-C863-437E-8996-ED95406B9168.jpeg

Wait a second! Silicone doesn't bind to acrylic. You're going to need something like liquid acrylic or acrylic glue. Google "acrylic aquarium repair," it takes a bit of prep work and the right materials. 

You can use acrylic welding chemicals to fix it. Weld-On 4 is very thin and can get in the space that is showing the gap. Once that is done, you can caulk all the internal seams with Weld-On 40. Do not use silicone as it will not bind to the acrylic. I built my SW tank using both of those and it worked out great.

It is almost 4 feet wide, made out of 1" acrylic. And no, I do not clean the diatoms because the critters get very unhappy if there are none to eat.

image.jpeg.ec3ff630a876f1ea4d83c9ad34ecebcf.jpeg

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

There is a plastics company here named tap plastics. They build tanks and such. Stopped in pick there techs brain a bit even showed them the tank we brought it with lol. 

they gave me some scraps to learn on and learn to drill for bulkheads. 

weldon 4 for the seam and Weldon 16 for the inside of all the edges. A few days is glue and cure. Here we come!  

• Like 2

On 4/15/2022 at 4:49 PM, eatyourpeas said:

You can use acrylic welding chemicals to fix it. Weld-On 4 is very thin and can get in the space that is showing the gap. Once that is done, you can caulk all the internal seams with Weld-On 40. Do not use silicone as it will not bind to the acrylic. I built my SW tank using both of those and it worked out great.

It is almost 4 feet wide, made out of 1" acrylic. And no, I do not clean the diatoms because the critters get very unhappy if there are none to eat.

image.jpeg.ec3ff630a876f1ea4d83c9ad34ecebcf.jpeg

I like the ecosystem look too. Grow stuff, eat stuff, grow more stuff!

On 4/15/2022 at 7:10 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

TAP is amazing, there is so much they are able to do. Specifically for aquariums, I've had them cut me pieces for replacement glass lids. 

Ya there a fantastic resource and willing to help/educate 

• Like 1