Water is disappearing from tank at night

Help

Last night I went to bed and my fish tank was normal. I had noticed nothing wrong with it, no leaks, no cracks, no nothing, it was perfectly fine. A little bit later that night, maybe 12 or 1 o clock, I heard a splashing constantly coming from the tank. I figured it was a little strange, but ignored it. This morning, at around 6, I woke up to super loud splashing coming from my tank. I jumped out of bed and turned on the light to see that my water level had mysteriously dropped halfway. The splashing was from the HOB filter dropping water from this new height. I frantically cut the power to the tank, and looked around for anywhere the water could have gone. I didn’t find a single drop ANYWHERE, it’s as if the water just turned into thin air. I’ve had this tank for maybe a month, and the room was the same temperature and conditions as all the previous nights. Any idea what happened to my tank water? Thankfully I hadn’t added fish yet. 

• Sad 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:39 AM, Help said:

Last night I went to bed and my fish tank was normal. I had noticed nothing wrong with it, no leaks, no cracks, no nothing, it was perfectly fine. A little bit later that night, maybe 12 or 1 o clock, I heard a splashing constantly coming from the tank. I figured it was a little strange, but ignored it. This morning, at around 6, I woke up to super loud splashing coming from my tank. I jumped out of bed and turned on the light to see that my water level had mysteriously dropped halfway. The splashing was from the HOB filter dropping water from this new height. I frantically cut the power to the tank, and looked around for anywhere the water could have gone. I didn’t find a single drop ANYWHERE, it’s as if the water just turned into thin air. I’ve had this tank for maybe a month, and the room was the same temperature and conditions as all the previous nights. Any idea what happened to my tank water? Thankfully I hadn’t added fish yet. 

Water will not evaporate that quickly. Do you have an airline attached? Sometimes that creates a suction, especially if you do not have a check valve attached. I lost almost an entire tank of water due to a barely visible crack the other day. See photos...

37FB727A-39FD-4900-B4CD-043072CB99EE.jpeg.68d6c4559df635bf48f2bdaaf7fbab71.jpeg

5C4F4DB9-4BA0-40D8-A5B5-C6A487E8BAE4.jpeg.3052e6469e11242de1254932fe5d3e15.jpeg

Check the floor for dampness / wet. Water can run down a very narrow point and pool all over the floor.If you have carpet, it's worse because it gets everywhere there...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

This is one of my nightmares. Coming home or waking up to like 90 gallons of water running out my front door. 

Indeed! This was a 10 gal . . . still lots of wet havoc. a 90 gal spill would make me want to quit the hobby.

• Like 1

did you refill it when you woke up/ did any more water leak out? I would do some investigating, try to recreate the conditions and watch what happened. Maybe it is the airline tubing sucking it out, or maybe there is a tiny crack that is just high up, so the water wont leak anymore once it reaches a certain level and had time to dry

On 4/9/2022 at 8:23 AM, Fish Folk said:

Water will not evaporate that quickly. Do you have an airline attached? Sometimes that creates a suction, especially if you do not have a check valve attached. I lost almost an entire tank of water due to a barely visible crack the other day. See photos...

37FB727A-39FD-4900-B4CD-043072CB99EE.jpeg.68d6c4559df635bf48f2bdaaf7fbab71.jpeg

5C4F4DB9-4BA0-40D8-A5B5-C6A487E8BAE4.jpeg.3052e6469e11242de1254932fe5d3e15.jpeg

Check the floor for dampness / wet. Water can run down a very narrow point and pool all over the floor.If you have carpet, it's worse because it gets everywhere there...

After investigating, what Fish Folk suggested is exactly what happened to mine. And, of course, my tank had to be on carpet so I am currently typing this while listening to a super loud fan. The only good part I guess is that the tank was due for a water change. Also, I did have a check valve, but I bought the tank and filter and accessories including said check valve used at value village so it is possible that it was faulty. Either way, I installed an aquarium co op nano air pump ABOVE the tank this time so that hopefully it’s impossible for this to happen again. Thank you all for your help!

• Like 3