What testing kit do you use?

sweetpoison

Lefty I’m on Amazon because I don’t pay for shipping, and the only Tetris chips I can find is for ammonia only.  Don’t I need to test for like everything?

I’m just going to  go ahead and ask more questions instead of taking out a new thread or new topic every time. When I had my 55 gallon tanks we were always taught never to use carbon in our filters only if we were taking meds out of the tank from a treatment. We would use a little bio filter and a bunch of sponges.  Is that still the case? We will pull a sponge or two from our filters and we could have instant thanks cycling for a new tank.   Also prime ~ I know that we still use aquarium salt ~ seems to me we will put it in right during the water change or maybe if somebody was coming down with something as a treatment I can’t remember…

On 3/29/2022 at 8:03 PM, sweetpoison said:

Wait ~ Lefty now that I have your attention. Years ago I used the python is that still the best choice?  I only have a 29 gallon tank

Python works. I use a hand version (aqueon) but the cheaper recommendation is to use a hyggar version if you want to save a little bit of $$.  Bentley Pascoe has a very good comparison video on youtube. When I clean my 29G I just use two 5G buckets and don't hook it up to a hose. For a larger tank, I'd definitely recommend one.

I would also add to your list (and I am listing this based on the available items on aquarium co-op):
1. Fritz salt
2. Med Trio (with the additional item available from fritz for additional internal parasites)
3. Fluval E Series heater (nothing better available, amazon cannot comprehend how to ship / package these without damaging them, so just keep that in mind)
4. Hang-on back filter (or sponge if you prefer).  I recommend the Tidal series, Aqueon Quietflow series, and others would recommend the aquaclear or fluval brand HoBs.
5. Ziss Airstone also is useful if you would prefer to add some aeration.
6. When they are available, the Aquarium co-op battery powered air pump with USB-C connection. They are switching to a new supplier, I would suggest waiting for that.
7. Seachem prime (or another water conditioner)
8. Hang-on box for breeding or the "catch bin" type of devices where you can hang them on the rim of the tank and use them when cleaning or for storing equipment behind the tank easily.
9. Towel
10. 5G bucket (or two)
11. Lid for the aquarium

Aquarium Co-Op Test Strips (and Ammonia strips) for day-to-day check-up type stuff.  I only use them for the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate pads (I find the rest of pads useless for my water).  They're good to detect the presence of whatever you're testing.  And if you're good at extrapolating and getting a "feel" for them, the numbers are accurate compared to API liquid tests.  

If I want to know the pH, I do the API liquid.  Or if I think the strips aren't telling me the whole story (or if I'm having an issue and want to report water parameters), I do the liquid.  I test my discus tank water at least once a day with the strips.  My other tank every couple of weeks.  Sometimes I cut the strips in half (sorry, Cory).  

Doesn't hurt to have both, but if I could only have one I would go with the liquid kit personally.  I would just test my water SIGNIFICANTLY less often because the liquid kit is a pain in the rump to use and takes forever as mentioned above.

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1

Ask 10 different people these questions and you will get 10 different answers because everyone does things a bit differently.  It doesn't make anybody wrong it just means each situation is different and people adapt differently to their individual setups. 

I only use Aquarium Coop test strips.   For my 29-gallon, I use both an AquaCulture gravel vacuum (Python is better but this is what I have) for a deeper clean and a Python water changer.   I know some who will do the gravel vacuum with the Python water changer but I have found the suction isn't strong enough and that if enough sand and gunk gets sucked up it can slow down my sink drain.   I rubber band a filter bag onto the Python water changer so I can run it without staring and worrying about sucking up fish or fry.   I don't use netting on the gravel vacuum though since I am always there and it goes straight into a bucket, I have never sucked anything up (come close) but if I did I would just retrieve the fish from the bucket.   

I personally don't use carbon even when I get it free from a new filter.   I prefer to remove fish meds by doing a large water change.  As for what I use as filter media, it varies.   I use course sponge sheet you can buy from Aquarium Coop but I also use crushed coral and what ever biomedia comes with the filter (because why pay for more when you get it free).   I don't use filter cartridges but tbh I don't buy filters that use those cartridges; I either buy Aquaclears or Seachem Tidals.   Right now I'm highly favoring Aquaclear but ask me again in two years from now and that answer may change as my hobby and preferences change.   I like to run HOB and sponge filter combo currently.  

• Like 2

Coop test strips.
I have liquid test kits, but rarely use them. If you only have one tank, the couple minutes to use them is fine. However, I have 13 tanks. Dipping test strips is just way easier and I find I test without hesitation rather than just assuming everything is fine.

Python
Totally worth the money even with the added cost. I'm still using the original one I bought 20 years ago. The hosing is still pliable and in good shape. You'll never have to buy another one. Get the extra hook end to hang it on a tank. I also suggest getting a metal connector to attach to your faucet because eventually the plastic one will get stripped and wear out (you can buy them on Amazon).

Probably the next most important thing are meds and having a plan for quarantine. You need to have that figured out before you buy fish.

Filters and that jazz are more personal choice and depend on your intended use. Depending on your fish selection, you may not need a heater. Plants you might want to think about. Crushed Coral if you need to buffer your water.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 9:45 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Python works. I use a hand version (aqueon) but the cheaper recommendation is to use a hyggar version if you want to save a little bit of $$.  Bentley Pascoe has a very good comparison video on youtube. When I clean my 29G I just use two 5G buckets and don't hook it up to a hose. For a larger tank, I'd definitely recommend one.

I would also add to your list (and I am listing this based on the available items on aquarium co-op):
1. Fritz salt
2. Med Trio (with the additional item available from fritz for additional internal parasites)
3. Fluval E Series heater (nothing better available, amazon cannot comprehend how to ship / package these without damaging them, so just keep that in mind)
4. Hang-on back filter (or sponge if you prefer).  I recommend the Tidal series, Aqueon Quietflow series, and others would recommend the aquaclear or fluval brand HoBs.
5. Ziss Airstone also is useful if you would prefer to add some aeration.
6. When they are available, the Aquarium co-op battery powered air pump with USB-C connection. They are switching to a new supplier, I would suggest waiting for that.
7. Seachem prime (or another water conditioner)
8. Hang-on box for breeding or the "catch bin" type of devices where you can hang them on the rim of the tank and use them when cleaning or for storing equipment behind the tank easily.
9. Towel
10. 5G bucket (or two)
11. Lid for the aquarium

Thanks So much!  I already got it 29gal kit. Comes with a lot of stuff so I already have much of it.   It comes with the filter and I am also getting a sponge filter for the bottom.  I have to get Python type hose that hooks to my sink.  Not really a bucket person😂. The kit comes with the heater thermometer a hood and filter and net and I don’t know what else I can’t remember😂

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 6:50 AM, sumplkrum said:

Coop test strips.
I have liquid test kits, but rarely use them. If you only have one tank, the couple minutes to use them is fine. However, I have 13 tanks. Dipping test strips is just way easier and I find I test without hesitation rather than just assuming everything is fine.

Python
Totally worth the money even with the added cost. I'm still using the original one I bought 20 years ago. The hosing is still pliable and in good shape. You'll never have to buy another one. Get the extra hook end to hang it on a tank. I also suggest getting a metal connector to attach to your faucet because eventually the plastic one will get stripped and wear out (you can buy them on Amazon).

Probably the next most important thing are meds and having a plan for quarantine. You need to have that figured out before you buy fish.

Filters and that jazz are more personal choice and depend on your intended use. Depending on your fish selection, you may not need a heater. Plants you might want to think about. Crushed Coral if you need to buffer your water.

I wish I had kept my python.  I still have the metal adapter on my faucet!!  They do last forever!

On 3/30/2022 at 3:07 AM, Guppysnail said:

I use the small/tall python in my 29. It is just the right size. 

EB5CCCAB-144E-418D-84F6-26D3A60B8D82.png

Thanks For that!  I’m not sure if it is long enough to reach my kitchen ~ I have to see

My replies “have merged”

I Do you not know how I do that!

On 3/30/2022 at 10:40 PM, sweetpoison said:

I already got it 29gal kit.

I predict that you will upgrade the filter and light/hood. Most of the time the kit components are just adequate. It gets you what you need to get started, and will suffice until you decide what upgrades you want to make. I did the 37g kit route to get back in the hobby again after too many years away.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:03 PM, Widgets said:

I predict that you will upgrade the filter and light/hood. Most of the time the kit components are just adequate. It gets you what you need to get started, and will suffice until you decide what upgrades you want to make. I did the 37g kit route to get back in the hobby again after too many years away.

I thought that too especially the hood~  I’m going to have a glass hood. But the filter  I think it’s pretty good

On 3/29/2022 at 7:00 PM, lefty o said:

co-op test strips, if you cant get them tetra has test strips.

So Amazon doesn’t have any of the Tetras all in one test strips anymore they’re out of stock. I’m trying to find a testing strip that has everything I don’t wanna have to buy a separate package of an ammonia strips.

I can’t find the co-op test strips either🤭

On 4/2/2022 at 7:05 PM, sweetpoison said:

So Amazon doesn’t have any of the Tetras all in one test strips anymore they’re out of stock. I’m trying to find a testing strip that has everything I don’t wanna have to buy a separate package of an ammonia strips.

I can’t find the co-op test strips either🤭

I use this for ammonia, it is awesome. 

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-Laboratories-Ammonia-Alert-Monitor/dp/B007R52CZ2/ref=asc_df_B007R52CZ2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=507600687309&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7146927304404015818&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031714&hvtargid=pla-1306352242767&psc=1