Would this be wise to do?

sweetpoison

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 10:14 AM, Widgets said:

I would drape a piece of plastic with a little overhang over the plywood, then drape cloth over that. You want the plastic long enough to help protect the ends of the plywood, but also to prevent any spilt water from wicking between the plywood and the tabletop.

Ok! Finally!  I couldn’t have a better fit ~ it’s just a plastic tablecloth really thick like you suggested and long. What do you think Widg?

So I can cover this plastic tablecloth with something right it’s quite ugly😩😂

84499AB5-B3F7-4791-8670-3374EFF38941.jpeg

On 4/18/2022 at 11:41 AM, sweetpoison said:

Ok! Finally!  I couldn’t have a better fit ~ it’s just a plastic tablecloth really thick like you suggested and long. What do you think Widg?

So I can cover this plastic tablecloth with something right it’s quite ugly😩😂

84499AB5-B3F7-4791-8670-3374EFF38941.jpeg

That looks good, as in functional. The plastic should protect the tabletop. Now it is time to get creative. 

The plastic does not need to hang down, so you could trim off some of the excess hanging plastic. It depends on how confident you are in cutting it.

You can cover it with a cloth cover, but remember that any water spills can wick below the tank and can be slow to dry. The table is protected, so this may not be a problem for you. Also, it will be difficult to do anything but a spot cleaning of the cloth, so it can start looking ugly. Someone on the forum here had mentioned cutting a tank size hole in the cloth. It could then be placed over the tank, then pulled up over the tank when it is time to clean, or to match the seasonal decor of the room.

Don’t cut to close. I made that mistake. As the droplets of water hit the edge they rol under and get sucked under to the wood. I would leave at least 1 inch or 2 overhang. Stick some lace on it to pretty it up or something to that affect. You should see the ugly on I had under my bearded dragons outdoor cage 🤢makes your look like a boutique display. 🤣 but it worked and folks forever thought I was celebrating 4th of July. 

• Like 1

There is no need to cut it if the length works for you. It all depends upon what you can find to cover it, and what the area under the table will be used for. A longer cover will help hide any aquarium related tools and/or supplies stored below.

OK guys here it is! Put it on my background too!  Almost ready for water ~ I have to get some more things.  I thought about putting a very long drape that way it will cover everything Underneath. But that thought was last week dammit😂

Guppy I am messy too🤫

B9AE5F13-F48A-4EA7-89DE-5F5A2C3516D4.jpeg

• Love 1

Your are too sweet!  Well that’s my plan too!  I have my sand, but I just need to get sponge filters for my filter and for the inside of the tank but  I need that little mini python more than anything😉

Hey I have a question. How do you know if something is safe to put into your aquarium? I have some really cool rocks and I think I used them in my 125 and my 55 but I can’t remember.  
And I have some polished  stones and some silk plants around the house that I thought about using,  Seems to me I think I remember we used the vinegar testing…

For the rocks, the vinegar is acidic and will show if the rocks are reactive. If they are, it means that they will change the water chemistry. Sometimes that change is desired. You could also soak them in a bucket to see how they change the water.

The polished stones, if they are not painted, should be treated like the other rocks. Painted rocks run the risk of the paint chipping or abrasion. I would skip on painted rocks.

I would personally skip on the silk plants, preferring live plants. If you want them, I would try to see what the metal core is made from. I don't think they are waterproof or planned to be wet for any length of time. I would be concerned with the materials breaking down and leaching. Also, I am not sure how to clean algae buildup. 

On 4/18/2022 at 2:35 PM, Widgets said:

For the rocks, the vinegar is acidic and will show if the rocks are reactive. If they are, it means that they will change the water chemistry. Sometimes that change is desired. You could also soak them in a bucket to see how they change the water.

The polished stones, if they are not painted, should be treated like the other rocks. Painted rocks run the risk of the paint chipping or abrasion. I would skip on painted rocks.

I would personally skip on the silk plants, preferring live plants. If you want them, I would try to see what the metal core is made from. I don't think they are waterproof or planned to be wet for any length of time. I would be concerned with the materials breaking down and leaching. Also, I am not sure how to clean algae buildup. 

Great advice as usual!  OK so I’m gonna put some rocks in a container of water ~ do I have to my testing kit to do this first because I don’t. And so how long am I leaving them in there for?

I will pass on my home silk plants!  I don’t have any painted rocks😉

Widget now that I have your attention because nobody answered my question on this…

i’m thinking of these fish and I wanna know what you think

pea puffers but I don’t know how many

Rummynose and Cardinals

There was one more I can’t remember ~ could be a clown fish.

Somewhere along the line I would like to get an axolotl but I don’t know if they can be with these guys I’m gonna do my due diligence and read about that

• Thanks 1

Pea puffers are an advanced fish, so extensive reading would be needed for any chance of success.  They do NOT eat any dried, prepared foods, so a variety of frozen and live foods are imperative.  I have decades of fish experience and don’t feel like I’ve been truly successful with them.

Most clown fish are saltwater fish only and I can’t think of anything freshwater that is referred to as. Clown fish.  You may be thinking of a clown loach, but they get very large, up to 18” in the wild, more likely 12” in an aquarium.  They get there fairly slowly, but you still need to plan on about 100 gallon tank eventually for a clown loach.  Clown knife fish also get quite large, getting up to 3.3 feet in the wild, usually about 20-24” in the aquarium.

There is a clown killifish, AKA banded panchax, AKA rocket killifish (Epiplatys annulatus) that stays small, 1.2-1.4”, that would be an option.  They are notorious for being jumpers so a snug lid would be vital.  Prefer live food, but I’ve read they can be convinced to take some prepared foods, but nearly all recommendations say frozen or live foods similar to the pea puffers.

Rummynose and cardinal tetras are potentially possible with your tank size, but they are considered some of the more particular tetras and really prefer softer water.  Do you know what your tap water parameters are?  Do you have a test kit, yet?  If you can find someone that is raising them locally adjusted to your parameters, or if you happen to be one of the lucky ones that has soft, slightly acidic water, they might be perfect for your water. I would have to put them in remineralized RODI water or mix a little tap water with my RODI to get the right parameters for long term success with rummies or cards.

You might consider Kubotai rasboras or ember tetras as bright spots of color.  Harlequin rasboras are also another very solid choice with lots of activity and great colors.  If you wanted more a school effect, you could have lots of chili rasboras in this size tank.

On 4/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, Widgets said:

That looks good, as in functional. The plastic should protect the tabletop. Now it is time to get creative. 

The plastic does not need to hang down, so you could trim off some of the excess hanging plastic. It depends on how confident you are in cutting it.

You can cover it with a cloth cover, but remember that any water spills can wick below the tank and can be slow to dry. The table is protected, so this may not be a problem for you. Also, it will be difficult to do anything but a spot cleaning of the cloth, so it can start looking ugly. Someone on the forum here had mentioned cutting a tank size hole in the cloth. It could then be placed over the tank, then pulled up over the tank when it is time to clean, or to match the seasonal decor of the room.

Thanks Duck for answering!  Peapuffers I have been reading about them and I know they take live food.  That wiggle. I’ve had Discus  for years and I kept those wiggly black worms in my refrigerator all the time. I know the people puffers eat snails.  As far as the rummy nose and the Tetris go I’ve had them for years in my other tanks and We did just fine. But I am going to definitely check out the ones that you suggested!  I’m getting more supplies this week and eventually I’ll get some water in that tank😑

you didn’t say anything about the axolotl I was thinking about

On 4/20/2022 at 11:15 AM, sweetpoison said:

do I have to my testing kit to do this first because I don’t. And so how long am I leaving them in there for?

It is somewhat hard to know how things change if you don't have a reference. It would be good to setup a second container with just water as a control for reference. The water parameters can change slightly just as it ages.

I don't know if there is any hard and fast rule. The longer you can wait the better. With the accuracy of our test methids, a slow change may take time to show up; but a very slow change may not be of concern since you have time to counteract it. This is a hobby of patience. Are you putting any wood in the tank? If so, you may be waiting for the wood to get waterlogged and sink, so that would give some time to wait. But, you could also just weight the wood down and plough through setting up the decor. 

There is also the Aquarium Science website. There is some really good information on the site. There are also some questionable statements and anecdotal stories, but there are plenty of references to real science. The site indicates that almost every rock can be safe.

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/14-3-rocks/

I don't have experience with the fish you identified, and most of my experience is old, having just gotten back into the hobby after about 15 years away.

On 4/20/2022 at 11:29 AM, sweetpoison said:

you didn’t say anything about the axolotl I was thinking about

Most people need chillers to successfully keep axies, so that’s an entirely different discussion.  Not to mention that axies will literally eat anything that might fit in their mouth.  Not considered  good fit for any type of community fish tank.  Their gills are incredibly fragile and they really shouldn’t be kept with fish or anything that might damage their gills.  Plus they should be bare bottom for most of their lives to be safest.

If you’ve keep discus then you should be fine with the rummies or cards, for sure.

• 3 months later...

Not to be picky or cruel I find most of these tank  stands at Petco PetSmart Wobble after aquarium is put on top .I don’t think in my opinion  they are Pet or kids safe whatsoever .can’t imagine my golden retriever rushing around my living room playing,with that stand.You can build your own stand with minimal effort with two by fours if  cost is a problem don’t like the particleboard stands sold  in stores.Eventually get wet no matter how careful you are stuff happens.With a master carpenter in the  family in my alone with my sweet husband Talented hands no need for me to ever get stands in the store.So one who knows it’s not cheap to hire a carpenter and wood  is very expensive right now in Michigan and other places good luck you might want to check craigslist  etc.sometimes you can find it beautiful piece of Furniture, can easily be turned into a beautiful aquarium stand sometimes for free just a thought. My daughter, Gave away alla huge room of Good furniture grandfather clock beautiful desk exception to someone in need someone starting out great to be able to donate what we don’t need.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:05 AM, sweetpoison said:

I wonder if I could put my 29 gallon long on this table instead of buying a stand?  It’s solid wood and very heavy it takes two to move. Just wondered what you all think?

CF19608A-88E3-4A84-8560-A5B2D2A2EA98.jpeg

2987225D-36F0-4524-A124-6DBE432ACD61.jpeg

Sorry I didn’t see that table that you suggested if you could cross brace it from the inside that would help a lot and check the top board is it thick enough sometimes furniture looks really really sturdy and it’s not .Here’s a test I would do for three times the weight of your car I am counting the gravel on the water plus the tank and stand on the tank if you fall through just kidding probably not a good idea if it holds great I would absolutely use it myself afterJerry rigging it a little painting it black by the time We got done with that I wouldn’t recognize it Good luck don’t know when you posted this new to this channel