Need heating for stock tank

Jacob Walsh

Hii I just got back into the hobby after a long time and I have a question I bought a 100 gallon stock tank I plan to put a Oscar in but I have a few questions?Is it  to put two Oscar’s in there ? What type of heating can I use inside the stock tank it’s a 100 gallon Rubbermaid? Finally is there any good bottom dwelling fish that won’t out grow the 100 gallon ? Thank you and sorry if this isn’t the write spot to post this just joined and figured this is the right group of people that could answer my questions 

I would recommend a 100 w heater. You may not be able to use the suction cups on the side of the Rubbermaid but you can use a clamp on the egde and zip tie the power cord to the clamp. I would also recommend trying to get a good quality heater.  Oscars have a reputation of trying to move anything in the tank and a lesser heater most likely won't handle that kind of abuse as well.

Edited by Never stop learning
Improving the wording
  • Like 1

I would recommend getting two 150watt heater's for a 100 gallon stock tank and  it's cover against heater failure if one goes out you have some backup I use to keep one Oscar in a 5ft tank along time ago they will move everything thing in the tank they have lots of personality bristlenose or other types of pleco would do fine with Oscar as long as they have plenty of hiding places

Edited by Colu
  • Like 3

I would recommend the same as Colu 2 x 150w heaters with maybe an inkbird just for the extra protection. 

As for bottom dwelling fish you have a lot of great options pleco wise, just be sure to provide them with some hiding places. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 7:40 PM, Colu said:

I would recommend getting two 150watt heater's for a 100 gallon stock and  it's cover against heater failure if one goes out you have some backup I use to keep one Oscar in a 5ft tank along time ago they will move everything thing in the tank they have lots of personality bristlenose or other types of pleco would do fine with Oscar as long as they have plenty of hiding places

Now silly question would you recommend running both heaters at the same time ?