Chicken keepers!

Sal

Here's my latest update!   We busted our butts over the long weekend, and are SO close to having this project "complete."  I say that vaguely, because I feel like this is always something hubs and I will be tinkering with.   But, if I never have to shovel  crushed granite again, it will be too soon... 😂 IMG_5230.jpg.cbfbd71acdc8564ea2addb7327264efe.jpg

Run still needs:  shingles, a door, and one small panel of hardware cloth.

Chairs are only in there temporarily...  We had blocked off the door and let the girls "test run" with a supervised field trip!

IMG_5223.jpg.aaaf06995aa00f3da6aa021831704726.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg.6bf5e7b46e910bd15d1e93dabf553dfa.jpg

IMG_5251.jpg.77e05cac4ffdb380224ef362b0926598.jpg

Coop still needs quite a bit of finishing work, mostly finicky stuff - but we should be able to get it done in a day or two (hopefully next weekend!)

And here are the girls trying out the run!  😍

https://streamable.com/19ampj

Edited by Sal
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

On 5/31/2022 at 10:44 AM, Sal said:

Here's my latest update!   We busted our butts over the long weekend, and are SO close to having this project "complete."  I say that vaguely, because I feel like this is always something hubs and I will be tinkering with.   But, if I never have to shovel  crushed granite again, it will be too soon... 😂 

Chairs are only in there temporarily...  We had blocked off the door and let the girls "test run" with a supervised field trip!Coop still needs quite a bit of finishing work, mostly finicky stuff - but we should be able to get it done in a day or two (hopefully next weekend!)

It looks great.  You probably already thought of this, but I wouldn't leave those chairs in the run.  Chickens will perch on them (and that's not all they'll do while they're there).

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 3:08 PM, JettsPapa said:

It looks great.  You probably already thought of this, but I wouldn't leave those chairs in the run.  Chickens will perch on them (and that's not all they'll do while they're there).

hahaha!!  Yes - those chairs are only there temporarily, we were sitting in the run during work breaks yesterday because it was nice and shady!

On 5/31/2022 at 11:44 AM, Sal said:

Here's my latest update!   We busted our butts over the long weekend, and are SO close to having this project "complete."  I say that vaguely, because I feel like this is always something hubs and I will be tinkering with.   But, if I never have to shovel  crushed granite again, it will be too soon... 😂 IMG_5230.jpg.cbfbd71acdc8564ea2addb7327264efe.jpg

Chairs are only in there temporarily...  We had blocked off the door and let the girls "test run" with a supervised field trip!

IMG_5223.jpg.aaaf06995aa00f3da6aa021831704726.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg.6bf5e7b46e910bd15d1e93dabf553dfa.jpg

IMG_5251.jpg.77e05cac4ffdb380224ef362b0926598.jpg

Coop still needs quite a bit of finishing work, mostly finicky stuff - but we should be able to get it done in a day or two (hopefully next weekend!)

This is spectacular! And you did it yourselves in this world of delivery and instant gratification! I'd high five you if I could 😄 the girls have an excellent home and I look forward to first egg updates and other milestones.

Our could-care-less Cochin has gone broody as of last week! Two years and nothing, but for about a week now I can expect to find her on golf balls in box no. 4. I found a stray egg in the coop and the run yesterday, so now I am wondering if Brownie isn't the one doing that after all. The other egg was green, a first outside a nest box for Olive, so I'm wondering if Brownie is bullying anyone that tries to even come in the coop!? The others all laid in the box furthest away from her. Upside is I get to pet her twice a day, but she saves me for it. Will try and get a pic next visit.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 11:15 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

She's a total weirdo, but I love her anyway, right down to her feathered feet!

Thank you @Jawjagrrl!  Your Brownie is so pretty! 😍  I love her coloring.  I have an Ameraucana that I think is going to be similarly colored, though she has more of a light orange neck & head.  It's so fun watching them change as they feather out.

I just freaken love them!  They all have different personalities and are so fun to watch. Here are a couple photos from today, and a picture I took out in the run the first time they all went under the coop (into what shall now be known at the chicken spa) and took dust baths.  

IMG_5326.jpg.d17c5513fe57d75000c5f688b87c035f.jpgIMG_5335.jpg.3c7cc0a0c6882dfb004165ee82d8d85e.jpgIMG_5319.jpg.d582374e917287db8f2b5fbccd1483b5.jpgIMG_5257.jpg.e48aefb751b1268cd0dd6439c2d130c4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 5/31/2022 at 10:21 AM, Sal said:

Thank you @Hobbit & @BigJ - I tend to try to use humor to cover over my raging anxiety, but I forget sometimes it does not translate to written word.  😂

Don’t worry I got you! I was just joking back 😄 

On 6/1/2022 at 9:02 PM, laritheloud said:

Arugula salad for 8 week old babies 🙂

Aww their voices haven’t dropped yet! They’re precious.

@Sal that coop and run is GORGEOUS. It could be in a magazine!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 5:06 PM, Sal said:

Thank you @Jawjagrrl!  Your Brownie is so pretty! 😍  I love her coloring.  I have an Ameraucana that I think is going to be similarly colored, though she has more of a light orange neck & head.  It's so fun watching them change as they feather out.

I just freaken love them!  They all have different personalities and are so fun to watch. Here are a couple photos from today, and a picture I took out in the run the first time they all went under the coop (into what shall now be known at the chicken spa) and took dust baths.  

IMG_5326.jpg.d17c5513fe57d75000c5f688b87c035f.jpgIMG_5335.jpg.3c7cc0a0c6882dfb004165ee82d8d85e.jpgIMG_5319.jpg.d582374e917287db8f2b5fbccd1483b5.jpgIMG_5257.jpg.e48aefb751b1268cd0dd6439c2d130c4.jpg

Lucky girls! Brownie is a partidge cochin, which some may just see as "brown", but the pattern is surprisingly elaborate. We've got a garden project, dog kennel project and of course I haven't scaped my 75s yet, but chicken upgrades are on the list... eventually.

• Like 1

Your ladies are growing beautifully! I also spotted you on another forum about little chicks -- I hope you're moving them outside this weekend because they look perfectly ready.

Mine are now 9.5 weeks old, and we're going to be extending their run another 9ft x 6ft. They get a couple of hours of supervised ranging time every evening and they LOVE it. Favorite snacks so far are black soldier fly larvae, tomatoes, and clover.

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Your ladies look like actual hens now @laritheloud - I love it!  Yes, I joined the backyard chicken forum.  It's funny, I noticed there is a "fish keepers" thread over there, and there is a "chicken keepers" thread here...  Animal Lovers really are the best people!  🙂

We haven't done any supervised free ranging time yet, but we will soon, I think.  Their recall is coming along well, and they will RUN to me for the black soldier fly treats, so I know I can gather them pretty easily at least. 

They have been outside full time in their coop and run for a little more than a week now.  Wehave been having a spring cold snap in New England, so the nights still get down into the low 40's at times - which has made me worry a bit.  Last night was possibly going to get as low as 39F, so I did put the radiant heat panel in for my own peace of mind (they're still only 7 weeks old, and according to the "charts" need to be warmer than 50F). This morning I saw them all huddled up near it, so I think it was the right call.  The coop never got below 65F with the heater on, so they were mostly comfortable at least!

But - they've done SO well otherwise.  They are even roosting, and have "put themselves to bed" a couple times.  On occasion they still need a little nudge into the door.  

They've gotten SO friendly - even our more skittish ones are now starting to hop on laps and enjoy pats and neck scratches.  I love when they hop up on my foot and take a nap.  🙂

IMG_5726.jpg.fc713754ff50c9ad35fa095e1b6db66b.jpg

They also like to sit in the window and wait for me to let them out in the morning, LOL!

IMG_5723.jpg.da1069c90265119d2022113e16daa018.jpg

Added some cute solar lanterns, and a light in the coop to help them know where to go when it gets dark...

IMG_5756.jpg.1ba7a58ad4d9affc3800939926655343.jpg

Love to see them sleeping with their necks dangling, LOL!  Weirdos! 

IMG_5760.jpg.fcc70d40bfaac343be499848eae09eb0.jpg

And of course, the hubby who did all that incredible building - his ladies are very appreciative!!  

IMG_5694.jpg.174a02771d34abe44c7f5dbf5da1889a.jpg

• Love 3

They are SOOO pretty and adorable! Their coop and run is seriously the prettiest one I’ve ever seen. 😍

Just don’t let them peck you in the eye when they’re sitting on your shoulder! I know from experience that glasses don’t guarantee protection. 😛

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 12:38 PM, Hobbit said:

Just don’t let them peck you in the eye when they’re sitting on your shoulder! I know from experience that glasses don’t guarantee protection. 😛

OUCH, and YES!!  I have a weird "phobia" about eyeballs in general, and I have read so many stories of people being in the ER because their chicken pecked them in the eye...  To say I am super paranoid about it is an understatement.  😂

If you are anywhere near my coop you will hear me shouting "DON'T MAKE EYE CONTACT" at my kids and husband with regularity.  😂

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2022 at 11:16 AM, Sal said:

OUCH, and YES!!  I have a weird "phobia" about eyeballs in general, and I have read so many stories of people being in the ER because their chicken pecked them in the eye...  To say I am super paranoid about it is an understatement.  😂

If you are anywhere near my coop you will hear me shouting "DON'T MAKE EYE CONTACT" at my kids and husband with regularity.  😂

I required the kids to wear safety glasses (wrap around style) or the child sized swim goggles, until they developed a healthy respect for what beaks and claws are capable of doing, even on accident. A few goggles had gouges in them, and the children respected the heck out of beaks after that!

Your coop is lovely, and I am ORD😍

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 3:39 PM, Torrey said:

I required the kids to wear safety glasses (wrap around style) or the child sized swim goggles, until they developed a healthy respect for what beaks and claws are capable of doing, even on accident. A few goggles had gouges in them, and the children respected the heck out of beaks after that!

You are NOT kidding about their beaks.   I have a freckle on the back of my arm, and once in a while if I am not paying attention a chicken will sneak up behind me and do what I can only describe as a "titty twister" (sorry if not appropriate, but its the exact right visual explanation) 😂 on my freckle...  

I've also learned the hard way that flip flops are a no no.  😂

• Haha 2

On 6/20/2022 at 11:12 AM, Sal said:

Your ladies look like actual hens now @laritheloud - I love it!  Yes, I joined the backyard chicken forum.  It's funny, I noticed there is a "fish keepers" thread over there, and there is a "chicken keepers" thread here...  Animal Lovers really are the best people!  🙂

We haven't done any supervised free ranging time yet, but we will soon, I think.  Their recall is coming along well, and they will RUN to me for the black soldier fly treats, so I know I can gather them pretty easily at least. 

They have been outside full time in their coop and run for a little more than a week now.  Wehave been having a spring cold snap in New England, so the nights still get down into the low 40's at times - which has made me worry a bit.  Last night was possibly going to get as low as 39F, so I did put the radiant heat panel in for my own peace of mind (they're still only 7 weeks old, and according to the "charts" need to be warmer than 50F). This morning I saw them all huddled up near it, so I think it was the right call.  The coop never got below 65F with the heater on, so they were mostly comfortable at least!

But - they've done SO well otherwise.  They are even roosting, and have "put themselves to bed" a couple times.  On occasion they still need a little nudge into the door.  

They've gotten SO friendly - even our more skittish ones are now starting to hop on laps and enjoy pats and neck scratches.  I love when they hop up on my foot and take a nap.  🙂

IMG_5726.jpg.fc713754ff50c9ad35fa095e1b6db66b.jpg

They also like to sit in the window and wait for me to let them out in the morning, LOL!

IMG_5723.jpg.da1069c90265119d2022113e16daa018.jpg

Added some cute solar lanterns, and a light in the coop to help them know where to go when it gets dark...

IMG_5756.jpg.1ba7a58ad4d9affc3800939926655343.jpg

Love to see them sleeping with their necks dangling, LOL!  Weirdos! 

IMG_5760.jpg.fcc70d40bfaac343be499848eae09eb0.jpg

And of course, the hubby who did all that incredible building - his ladies are very appreciative!!  

IMG_5694.jpg.174a02771d34abe44c7f5dbf5da1889a.jpg

Love the lavender.

On 6/20/2022 at 3:39 PM, Torrey said:

Your coop is lovely, and I am ORD😍

We didn’t do thank for the kids but 4H would not have approved. They do teach the kids how handle them. But honestly that way is no fun. You can enjoy them the same I think smart call. I all most lost an eye as a child no with a chicken and no reason to take a chance. 

Your lavender pullet is gorgeous @Sal! Beautiful birds, beautiful coop! 😍 Glad the heater kept them nice and cozy in the cold! They look perfectly pleased on their roosting bar. Ours don't perch on our heads or shoulders, but they're very gentle and will come to me for treats when I give them a nice, loud, "HI LADIES!" I can pet them all right, but none of them have any interest in being held, and that's okay.

We spent all weekend building a 6 x 9 foot rectangular extension to their existing run, digging it out, laying out hardware wire, filling it in with a mixture of sand and hemp. They're SO happy with their expansion. We let them out for a couple of hours every evening but they don't seem to care too much about wandering around while they get used to their chicken palace. 

Also, might I recommend a pair of waterproof shoes kind of like Bogs for stepping into the run area? We have designated chicken shoes we keep outside on the back porch and wear for yard work and doing chicken maintenance!

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 2:33 PM, Sal said:

You are NOT kidding about their beaks.   I have a freckle on the back of my arm, and once in a while if I am not paying attention a chicken will sneak up behind me and do what I can only describe as a "titty twister" (sorry if not appropriate, but its the exact right visual explanation) 😂 on my freckle...  

I've also learned the hard way that flip flops are a no no.  😂

They have phenomenally good eyesight, and will clean you of ticks if you allow them... and are willing to be that vulnerable in your chicken coop!

My daughter really worked with training the birds for 4-H shows (originally) and then just to see how much a chicken could leanr. One of her friends taught her 4-H bird to play the piano (used cracked corn and cat kibble as the original reward) until the chicken demonstrated an enjoyment of just hearing the different sounds. Our rotts worked as herding dogs, and kept the birds on the property and safe from predators. From mid-march until first frost, the dogs would lay down and let the birds, especially the baby chicks, ducklings and goslings, crawl over then and "preen" them. Better than chemicals any day!

When we moved down to Albuquerque in '09, my kids and old man rott had to adjust to only having a backyard flock. Regularly I would come home from the hospital or school to find hens perched on the back of the couch watching TV with the kids. If they saw something worth eating, they would try to peck it out of the TV. Took one summer for them to learn the TV was like the windows: You could see through, but not touch, lol

Apartment living doesn't allow for any birds, so only aquariums for now... and the trutle... and 2 dogs🤣

If the kids are patient, they can teach the birds to walk on a leash. Either a ferret harness or a cat's figure 8 harness, and one of the "spring leashes" that looks like an 80's telephone cord, to prevent the birds from harming themselves, and a few treats in their pocket, and chickens are bright enough to learn how to heal, how to follow directions on turning left or right, etc. Ducks and geese are even smarter, which requires more consistency from the kids. As soon as the waterfowl decide they are smarter than the kids, they will try the kid's patience, lol!

4-H judges get a kick out of the kids walking their poultry around the fair, acting as poultry ambassadors and educators.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/20/2022 at 4:49 PM, Brandon p said:

We didn’t do thank for the kids but 4H would not have approved. They do teach the kids how handle them. But honestly that way is no fun. You can enjoy them the same I think smart call. I all most lost an eye as a child no with a chicken and no reason to take a chance. 

The first 4-H leader the group had almost ruined the joy for the kids. The next year, the group split and we went with one of the families that were part of our homeschool community. Kids had more fun, the hobby wasn't ruined for them, and the whole 4-H group did a few campouts at our farm, and did movie nights at the leader's family farm. Goggles were the best thing we ever did as a group, and allowed all the younger siblings to safely participate (we had newborns up to 16 yo in the group meetings)

• Like 1