Chicken keepers!

Sal

On 9/23/2022 at 7:44 AM, Sal said:

She is the biggest of all the girls, has a big red comb, regularly does the egg song, and is starting to squat!  

Opingtons are just the best.  Won't be long now that they're squatting and those combs look ready to go!  

If they're milling around the yard a lot be on the lookout for them dropping an egg some random place or a hidden nest.  They don't know where they're supposed to drop them.  I have a couple ceramic ones that I use to help them figure it out if I start having them leaving them random places.  

• Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 10:35 AM, jwcarlson said:

Opingtons are just the best.  Won't be long now that they're squatting and those combs look ready to go!  

If they're milling around the yard a lot be on the lookout for them dropping an egg some random place or a hidden nest.  They don't know where they're supposed to drop them.  I have a couple ceramic ones that I use to help them figure it out if I start having them leaving them random places.  

Betsy squatted for 2 to 3 weeks before finally laying an egg. A bigger tell for us was her serious nesting behavior the day before her first egg. She kept scratching around and cluckcluckclucking on elevated surfaces like our woven patio chairs. It was very different from her prior behavior, and so long as you know your girls you'll notice the difference. It's fussy hormonal scratching around seeking a nest. It's really cute to watch, but they do appear a little frustrated about it. 😁 😊 We have another pullet scratching around in the nest a lot, too. Betsy ended up laying the egg in the main coop area and NOT the nest box, but I bet she'll figure it out. We have dummy wooden eggs in the box to try and encourage them in the right place.

• Like 3

Your flocks are so gorgeous! I just love chickens. The local college put in a campus garden with chickens this year and the students love them. These silly little creatures bring joy to the soul.

They also let you know when they want something. They are not shy about expressing their opinions!! Especially the “let me out!” opinion. (Mine don’t seem to mind the rain, btw 😉)

• Like 1

Eeeeee!!  So exciting @laritheloud your little variety of eggs is super pretty so far!!

I had the chickens out a ton today, no odd behavior or anything out of the ordinary that I can see, so maybe we are still a ways off!  I think I just need to be patient.  Even my neighbors (who have all enjoyed coming to visit the chickens for months now) are like "any eggs yet?"  It's reminding me of when I was pregnant close to my due date, when everyone would ask every 2 seconds "any baby yet?"  😂

We did get some coop chores done today, and have started gathering supplies for winter.  I picked up a couple heated waterers, and we ordered the plastic wrap and poly carbonate sheets which we will put up around the run to keep drafts down.  I am not planning to heat the coop as I want the birds to naturally acclimate, but do have a couple heat panels ready to use for any longer stretches of sub-zero temps...  Hubby and I are VERY anxious about our first winter, where we live gets VERY cold and snowy, and we just love these dumb birds.  So hopefully all goes smoothly and we will be OK.   If anyone has advice or a supply list they make sure to have on hand, please feel free to share...

We are planning:

-Some extra (chicken safe) insulation on the coop walls
-Deep litter method is already underway from summer - and adding additional straw to coop
-Wrapping the exterior of the run to keep drafts and snow/moisture out
-Heated waterers so water wont freeze
-Warmed food, and snacks like oatmeal and warm corn/extra carbs for higher body temps
-Heat panels ready to use if we have sub zero temps
-already monitoring temp & humidity inside and outside the coop and run, so that will continue
-2x4 roosts turned on the wide side for extra comfy feet, and I may even wrap with scraps of fabric for the winter for extra warmth and snuggliness...

To say they are spoiled would be an understatement!  😂

But fall at the coop is looking pretty!  I want to get a few more pumpkins, which will eventually become a chicken snack!  🎃

IMG_8031.jpg.891f6ea138ca780f82c018c9fe6fa961.jpg

• Love 1

It sounds like you’re well prepared!! My birds hate walking in the snow, so be ready to shovel (or sweep if the snow is light) some paths for them. 😄 You got larger breeds so they should be pretty cold hearty. I’ve heard you can put Vaseline on their combs to keep them from getting frostbite, but when I tried it, it became a dirt magnet and Fluffy just got a really dirty head. 😆 You’ll be amazed when you pet them on a freezing day and the tops of their feathers don’t even feel warm because they’re keeping their heat in so well. Their insulation is next level!

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 11:10 AM, Hobbit said:

Their insulation is next level!

That's so cool!!  I guess that's why they use feathers to insulate winter coats too!  

We do snow blow paths for the dogs already, so we'll add a few more for the chickens! I saw on a chicken forum that someone suggested tossing some straw down on snowy areas for them to walk on - that seems like a good idea too!

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 1:45 PM, Sal said:

I saw on a chicken forum that someone suggested tossing some straw down on snowy areas for them to walk on - that seems like a good idea too!

My girls have been less than impressed with this solution, but maybe you’ll have better luck. 😅

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

EDITED: I came here looking for advice on how to find this handsome man a home, but we worked it out. It won't let me delete the post though, so I'll leave the photo just because he's a handsome one. :classic_smile:

image.jpeg.3228f0e3eef0e67c91fddb4001f3430b.jpeg

Edited by AndreaW
  • Love 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don’t keep chickens but I went to my friends house and we fed her chickens together. All of a sudden I got slammed hard in the calves! It was this dude, top left! That’s a thing? He put a ton of power into it! I have a black and blue spot and 3 claw marks with bandaids!

57BE8911-D24D-455B-B3CC-8515FB29D7C6.jpeg.ce77b9faa4641f4931254b52845c35e7.jpeg

Also this is my favorite one she has, Blackbeard.

27FD9F4D-22E8-4B8A-999E-F111170708EB.jpeg

She told me if her other rooster had been nearby he would have defended me.

On 4/29/2023 at 3:58 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

All of a sudden I got slammed hard in the calves! It was this dude, top left! That’s a thing? He put a ton of power into it! I have a black and blue spot and 3 claw marks with bandaids!

Yep! Some roosters are real jerks! Mine is, I have to carry a stick with me when I go in the chicken yard. 

Here's the start of my new flock: 3 Lavender Orpingtons, 3 Cream Legbars & 3 Buckeyes. 

They're from a sexed batch, so there's only a 10% chance of any being roosters. I'm gonna be real choosy about my next rooster! 

PXL_20230429_000818138.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1