Garden Hose for Python?

ChemBob

I am looking at getting the python water changer. Any reason I can't buy the key parts and use a garden hose? I have a long run and the longer hose kits are costly compared to getting a garden hose. Anything I need to do to the hose before I use it for fish?

If you want to be really sure, the garden hoses you get for RV's is the best choice. These are typically white and can be had from RV sales places or Walmart. I've used a garden hose extension for my vacuum / fill system for years and have not had any problems.

I found it very funny that, for those who can remember, the vacuum / fill fitting you mount to you sink's faucet was originally used to fill and drain water beds!

I was using this system (and my garden hose extension) for Many years before python came on the scene. I'm using the same blue one to this day.

Happy fish keeping 🐟

94556267_WaterbedFill.JPG.8128bde0b2aecdd4832a6f9fbbd92d44.JPG

• Like 1

The benefit of their hose is that it is clear, and Lord forbid you ever suck up a plant or a fish (yes, I did suck up my betta by accident one time - please don't judge I felt absolutely terrible but thankfully he survived with no injury. And yes I ran like a mad man out my door arms flailing trying to get him. it happened because I looked away for a second to address my niece.), you will be able to see immediately to resolve the situation. 

Edited by Ben_RF
  • Haha 1

You should be able to fab up something from your local home improvement store with hose barbs and / or other fittings to join your lengths of tube / hose together for cheap enough.

Try to do it with as few fittings as possible to minimize the cost, and possibilities for leaks. If you end up using pipe threads, teflon tape is much safer than 'pipe dope'. Wrap the tape around the fitting as if you are screwing it in with only 2 wraps. Any more is not only wasted, but also reduces the chance of a good seal.

Have fun with your project!

On 10/14/2020 at 9:18 PM, KBOzzie59 said:

I use a 5/8" ID Flexzilla.

63d980bb-20ca-445a-8e87-26cdecfe7e7c_1.c
WWW.WALMART.COM

Free 2-day shipping on qualified orders over $35. Buy Flexzilla® Garden Hose, 5/8" x 50' x 3/4" - 11 1/2 GHT Fittings at Walmart.com

Bought a 10’ on Amazon. Luv it.  Drinking water safe, super pliable, light weight but doesn’t seam or kink