Hello everyone!

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I recently transitioned my fish and plants from a standard 20g to a rimless tank. Everything is acclimating and I imagine I’ll have to deal with algae and slow growth for a bit while everything is getting used to the new environment, but here is a quick before and after. Any feedback/recommendations are welcome! Looking forward to being a member of the forum!

AEEB869B-F3A5-4E6A-941B-BB061A1CB553.jpeg

C5344AF9-0ED8-49B2-93F6-0CF07339B45B.jpeg

• Like 2

Disclaimer: I misunderstood I thought that the rim was just removed. That appears that was not the case. I still believe that that there is good information in this post. Please don’t think this is about the original poster. Who I’m not going to mention this because I don’t want them to be associated and how people think it’s about them.  

Nice to meet you. I do like the look but the rim is there for a reason. In a tank that is build to be rimless the do it differently. The glass is thicker, the type of glass can be different, and  the this ugly cheap piece of plastic helps the changes in water pressure caused by fluctuation in water heights. At 20 gals there is little risk but it is more likely that it will crack. If you look it up on the internet you see lots of people saying it is not needed. That they see tanks with out rims all the time. That is true but they engineered the tank so it can with stand that. Next you see is “ I don’t see how a thin piece of plastic holds glass together. It help prevent the glass from bowing out in bigger tanks this is noticeable. In a 55gal tank you see two types of rims. Three if you count rimless. One has a brace across the middle and the other does not have a brace. The one with the brace is less expensive because they can use thinner glass and cheaper materials. A rimless is about $900 just the tank, one with a brace is a dollar a gallon. 20 gallons or 14-18” tall.  I think this tank will be ok you don’t have an HOB or crazy heavy light. It looks like a finnex. I had a friend that had one break on a 55gal is was broke all around the plastic in 5 or 6 places. The brace across the center was all so broke. He wanted to check if it would hold water he got it about 2/3 full and you can see the glass bow out by quite a bit. Got the water out fast and called the company and they explained to him you. I hate for you to get a bigger tank and do the same. As long as you don’t hang anything from it it should be ok. I really like the aquascape.  Hope I didn’t sound like a jerk that was not my intention.

Edited by Brandon p

On 3/19/2022 at 9:11 AM, Katherine said:

@Brandon p I think you may have misunderstood. It doesn't look to me like they removed the rim, it looks like they bought a new rimless tank and moved everything into it.

I think you are right. I’m going to edit the post and put a disclaimer on it as A warning to people thinking about doing that there’s surprisingly a lot of people that do this ( just pry the rim off.  Thank you so much for pointing it out. That’s what I like this forum is people can say that and not worry about a negative response. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 11:37 AM, Brandon p said:

I think you are right. I’m going to edit the post and put a disclaimer on it as A warning to people thinking about doing that there’s surprisingly a lot of people that do this ( just pry the rim off.  Thank you so much for pointing it out. That’s what I like this forum is people can say that and not worry about a negative response. 

@Brandon p thanks for all of the info. It’s a new tank that I am using. I’m definitely too scared to try to take the rim off of the 20. I would hate to walk in and find a tank that exploded and leaked everywhere 

On 3/21/2022 at 9:36 AM, Brandon p said:

Katherine let me know I was thinking the wrong way about the tank. I decided to leave it up and put a disclaimer at it was not you. I can rewrite it but with the meds I have to take may a  take a day  or two. 

@Brandon p no worries, you don’t have to rewrite anything. Thanks for your reply