why don't we ever talk about sulfur and plant nutrition ?

CT_

of course NPK get a lot of attention and next to calcium and magnesium sulfur is the next most abundant nutrient.  But I don't see it in any plant deficiency chart and I don't see it in easy green either. 

Is fish food so loaded with sulfur that it never matters?

I’m not a scientist/chemist or very good with the nutrients stuff but I do do terrestrial gardening where it is talked about.  I’m out on a limb with my guess here so please be kind.  
The suffer smell in dechlorinators…could this just always add sufficient sulfur that it is never deficient so never paid attention to? 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 9:22 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m not a scientist/chemist or very good with the nutrients stuff but I do do terrestrial gardening where it is talked about.  I’m out on a limb with my guess here so please be kind.  
The suffer smell in dechlorinators…could this just always add sufficient sulfur that it is never deficient so never paid attention to? 

I think because it is a micro with little impact (just a guess) as opposed to NPK which is usually the culprit in most visible deficiencies. 

Im still waiting for the question of "why won't my plant flower" so i can share my limited fertilizer knowledge and ask if their fert of choice supplements Boron, which ive read is important in flowering 🤣

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 11:36 PM, CT_ said:

of course NPK get a lot of attention and next to calcium and magnesium sulfur is the next most abundant nutrient.  But I don't see it in any plant deficiency chart and I don't see it in easy green either. 

Is fish food so loaded with sulfur that it never matters?

Hi @CT_

Good question!  Sulfur (S) is one of the micro-nutrients plants require for good growth, most importantly the production of chlorophyll which gives plants there green color and allows them to produce the sugars they need for growth.  Sulfur deficiencies typically show up on new leaves with the following symptoms:

Leaves light green, veins lighter in color than adjoining interveinal areas. Leaves over entire plant may become yellowish green, roots and stems are small in diameter and are hard and woody. Young leaves may appear to be uniformly yellow. Some necrotic spots... sulfur (aka sulphur) deficiency

Do not assume that if you have uniformly yellow new leaves that the issue is sulfur, there are several causes for yellow new leaves and sulfur is just one of them.  Look to see if the leaf veins are lighter in color than the interveinal areas. 

Sulfur is not needed in large quantities, typically the amount found in plant tissue is about the same as the amount of phosphorus (P).  Depending upon the sources of nitrogen, phosphorus, or potassium in the fertilizer we use there may already be sufficient sulfur in our mix - that is one of the reasons the list of ingredients in our fertilizer is so important.  The most common sources of sulfur (S) in fertilizers are in the form of sulfates, for example potassium sulfate (a common source of potassium) also contains sulfur.  I have soft water and use my own DIY version of Seachem Equilibrium, to increase the hardness (dGH) in my tanks and it contains a lot of sulfates.  Also, if you are adding Epsom Salt to your tank to increase the amount of magnesium you are adding magnesium sulfate so again sulfur is being added.  Hope this helps! -Roy

• Like 2

Thanks Roy!

I just assumed S would be on the "elemental analysis".  Why is it left off?  I use equilibrium which apparently has plenty of -sulfates but doesnt list it in their analysis, so I guess I'm all good.

Edit: thanks everyone!  My phone showed me only roys reply at first for some reason. 

Edited by CT_
  • Like 1

I've always attributed the "lack" of sulfur in fertilizer combinations to the fact that that we steadily supply sulfur everyday in the form of fish, or shrimp food, and they in turn provide it back into the aquarium as metabolic waste, which then in turn gets broken down by a variety of bacteria in the substrate, at least until be come along with our siphon pump to clean out the excess. After all ammonia/ammonium is not the only waste product, there is also "number two".

Not to hijack the thread but to add to the discussion; funny enough I was just about to post this, and ask if anyone had ever actually tried, or heard about this when I saw this thread:

https://purechemco.com/blogs/guides/uses-of-sulfur-prills-for-fish-tanks-aquariums

Anything that promises algae reduction without harming plants, fish, snails, or shrimp gets my attention at least until proven viable, or not.

On 3/17/2022 at 11:37 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Here's a chart of Nutrient to plant mass (dry mass composition). I think enough sulfur is in tap water to cover most needs. 

Actually it's that table that made me ask because there's almost as much S as P according to that table and P is featured prominently.  But I think the other point you and others have made about it "secretly" being in most of the other nutrient salts explains it

On 3/18/2022 at 8:41 PM, CT_ said:

Actually it's that table that made me ask because there's almost as much S as P according to that table and P is featured prominently.  But I think the other point you and others have made about it "secretly" being in most of the other nutrient salts explains it

I thought that was interesting too. But I'd imagine some sciency stuff explains the relationship that I wouldn't understand. 😁

Found this while researching this morning, it made me think of this thread. In other news, be aware it seems some nutrient deficiencies are caused by lack of another nutrient needed to uptake the original nutrient! 🤯🤯🤯🤯 My brains hurt, enough internetting for me today..... 🤣🤣

a897c5f5484f7609f44e22f7edca0ad4.jpg

On 3/20/2022 at 9:04 AM, JoeQ said:

Found this while researching this morning, it made me think of this thread. In other news, be aware it seems some nutrient deficiencies are caused by lack of another nutrient needed to uptake the original nutrient! 🤯🤯🤯🤯 My brains hurt, enough internetting for me today..... 🤣🤣

a897c5f5484f7609f44e22f7edca0ad4.jpg

@Seattle_Aquarist shared this with me in another thread. If your head hurts now try this on for size. Craziness but it does explain a lot image.jpeg.5623f5fb1170330001497bf7a7d9ce4c.jpeg