I moved this post to journal so I could add to the post as they grow so bee can see if they stay smaller than the 2 inches.

UpSo last week I got some many discus. I didnt know they Had such a thing. So far so good they shipped no problem. I did have a issue with 5 fish that are going to be replaced do to a issue with the dorsal fin. It look as if the back is ok just the dorsal fin is messed up. They seller is. Replacing them plus two more. 

A4761809-9ED2-4398-8B47-BE76177ED5AF.jpeg.540f45b51eba5b7c038a3945dae7d59c.jpeg

Wow those are really cool. How big do they get? 

If you want to succeed you should strike out on new paths, rather than travel the worn paths of accepted success. - John D. Rockefeller

When you say mini discus, I'm assuming that you are referring to the fact that they are just young discus?

You're gonna to need a bigger boat

Edited 55 minutes ago by HH Morant

Gentleman, Scholar, and Renaissance Man

On 3/14/2022 at 9:37 PM,  Dwayne Brown said: 

Wow those are really cool. How big do they get? 

2 inches so should could kept them in a much smaller tank. The seem  pretty hardy so for 

On 3/14/2022 at 9:40 PM,  T. Payne said: 

When you say mini discus, I'm assuming that you are referring to the fact that they are just young discus?

No the seller claims that they do not get bigger than 2 inches. These are still very young at this point. I’m skeptical but I have a large tank that 18 full size discus if I needed to. I will say that the guy has been nothing but honest and helpful when I’ve had questions or was not happy. They don’t seeem like a fish that he is trying to perfect. I ordered 12 he sent 14 just in case one or two died. A lot of personal sellers do this because the fish are cheaper than the cost of postage.  5 of the 14 h e Dora l fins that lay over on their side. No one wants that in discus. When I talked to him he is sending out 6 more to replace the what would 3 I need to have 12 that I ordered. I’ll post here again in a month juts to trach growth.

Edited 4 minutes ago by Brandon p
Edited by Brandon p

I would be very, very suspicious of such claims. "Normal" discus can get to be pretty big. Almost dinner plate size. To go from that to a mature fish at two inches isn't a minor swing. That's a big change. It's not an easy thing to achieve. You would typically breed them down incrementally over multiple generations selecting for size each generation. That takes lots of time and effort. 

• Like 3

I have kept and bred discus for quite a while, and have never heard of mini discus. I would be very skeptical of these being a "new" thing. Honestly, in the video, they look like discus that are a few months old and have not been fed enough. When raising discus fry, they require lots of high protein foods for the first few months, and water changes to keep the water quality good. If they don't get enough food and water quality is sub par, they will become stunted, one of the biggest ways to tell is by looking at the size of the eye in comparison to the rest of the body. If the eyes are noticeably large compared to the body, they are stunted. Sometimes, you will have a few discus in a batch of fry that just don't grow like the others, I have had ones that most will be in the 2-2.5" range and there are a couple that are only 1". Those would get either put into a tank by themselves and see if I can get to grow better, but most of the time, you can tell they are stunted already, and I would not sell them to anyone. 

I am very interested to see how these fish grow for you and what they look like in six months to a year, I just hope this breeder isn't being shady and just selling small stunted discus as "mini" discus.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 6:54 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I have kept and bred discus for quite a while, and have never heard of mini discus. I would be very skeptical of these being a "new" thing. Honestly, in the video, they look like discus that are a few months old and have not been fed enough. When raising discus fry, they require lots of high protein foods for the first few months, and water changes to keep the water quality good. If they don't get enough food and water quality is sub par, they will become stunted, one of the biggest ways to tell is by looking at the size of the eye in comparison to the rest of the body. If the eyes are noticeably large compared to the body, they are stunted. Sometimes, you will have a few discus in a batch of fry that just don't grow like the others, I have had ones that most will be in the 2-2.5" range and there are a couple that are only 1". Those would get either put into a tank by themselves and see if I can get to grow better, but most of the time, you can tell they are stunted already, and I would not sell them to anyone. 

I am very interested to see how these fish grow for you and what they look like in six months to a year, I just hope this breeder isn't being shady and just selling small stunted discus as "mini" discus.

I am not trusting the guy I wanted to see if they would stay small. I haven’t given the guys name because I am not going to give someone that with seeing the product. I did some research and did find that there have been “mini” discus before but there were issues with them including the dorsal fins being deformed. They are getting good care here I love my discus. I had to be in the hospital for a little bit and lost my four Wattley discus. I think that it was because of two missed water changes with the lower ph water. Wattley has some great looking discus but I have found the are more sensitive to water conditions than say Snedeker Discus or a hobbyist that raises them in my area with water similar to mine. I have had discus since I a teen but I learned mostly with the cheapest discus I could find and I made mistakes. I until recently I’m do research and sometimes I learn new stuff and others I’m learning why I do the thing I do. I plan on keeping everyone updated at least once a week.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Update: Mini-discus 

They are still mini. Took a pic or two of the biggest. I still did not give out the seller but a few people did find him and have had mixed results.

The bad:

Shipping is the biggest issue. I think I mentioned before that there are not perfect. There dorsal fin does seem to have have a deformity. I would say for me it’s pretty high about 60-40. So if you do find him and buy be aware of those things. I will post a pic of the dorsal fin. 

The good: 

The seller was good with me. I did demand the dozen fish I ordered not have deformities. It took 3 shipments the second 2 free. One was not really his fault. I can’t remember but the reason but they was a 3 day delay ind shipping they got stuck somewhere in between me and him. I think it was snow or fire. They are pretty hardy. I had a serious health issue and my care was bare minimum. Including few water changes and a heater failure so temps where room temp which is about 78 degrees. The color is not as good as it was, but I think the food is in past month and a half has start to improve.3345DD40-8292-4370-98C6-E7802A8E7D07.jpeg.3e83f9fa258b4b1514b83a3a1a8110d4.jpeg.62C2D384-2DA8-4C54-852D-950758516CC7.jpeg.d06da3a0da6a03fec8bafdae2c34d77b.jpegthe size is hard to see but they are bigger than quarter and smaller an a silver dollars. The oldest I believe are 7-8 months old. They have appeared to stopped growing. They have more color that the photo shows. I had just used the light on so there are a little washed out, but as mentioned before their color is not as good as it was.

• Love 1