Your favorite budget aquarium light for low light plants?

Hi all!

I am going to be setting up a fish room for enjoyment/breeding and am researching lighting options for the tanks. Primarily I will be having a lot of 10 gallon and 20 gallon longs up and running, likely several dozen. 

What recommendations do you have for affordable aquarium lighting that is capable of growing just low light plants? I am really only needing to grow simple plants like crypts, anubias, Java fern, Amazon sword, and valisneria.

Have any of you had success with a particular light that you think would lend well toward buying in bulk? Appearance DOES matter to a certain extent since the tanks are also for enjoyment, but the light does not have to be stunning. I have been disappointed in the beamswork EA series which was my first try at a budget light. The color spectrum doesn’t seem to blend well and caused spotlighting on the substrate. I’ve looked into the nicrew systems as well as some of the Aqueon planted clip on lights for the 10 gallons. Any experience with these?

thanks ya’ll! 🙂

• Like 1

I also thought of another addition to this question, for those of you with larger fish rooms, how does using one longer light compare to using individual lighting units? Do you find there are issues with the lighting being too strong? How does the cost compare? Definitely a huge benefit would be less electrical outlet demand. Thanks, sorry for this addition just thought of this as well!!!

On 3/12/2022 at 9:22 AM, gardenman said:

In a fish room setting I wouldn't even bother trying to light each individual tank. I'd use LED shop lights to light the whole row of tanks. You can get them in two-, four-, and eight-foot lengths in daylight settings (6000-6500K) and they're pretty cheap compared to aquarium lights. 

You read my mind! Thanks for the response!

• Like 1

Aqueon clip ons I found miserable. The blue stays on full power and you can’t shut it off=algae farm for me. 
I use these on all 7 tanks 10g-40g. 2 foot styles included. Manually adjustable to 5 brightness setting.  You can shut the colors off. Has a manual timer button. My plants do extremely well. Minimal algae unless I leave brightness on too high (my fault). REASONABLY PRICED!  I swear by these in low tech tanks. They do great in tanks I only have anubias and Java and tanks I have Alternanthera and ludwigia. Hope that helps 

3F6E30F1-2198-4F5C-BB15-8A42B6D3DD2D.png

• Like 3

On 3/12/2022 at 10:06 AM, DustinJWagner said:

Hi all!

I am going to be setting up a fish room for enjoyment/breeding and am researching lighting options for the tanks. Primarily I will be having a lot of 10 gallon and 20 gallon longs up and running, likely several dozen. 

What recommendations do you have for affordable aquarium lighting that is capable of growing just low light plants? I am really only needing to grow simple plants like crypts, anubias, Java fern, Amazon sword, and valisneria.

Have any of you had success with a particular light that you think would lend well toward buying in bulk? Appearance DOES matter to a certain extent since the tanks are also for enjoyment, but the light does not have to be stunning. I have been disappointed in the beamswork EA series which was my first try at a budget light. The color spectrum doesn’t seem to blend well and caused spotlighting on the substrate. I’ve looked into the nicrew systems as well as some of the Aqueon planted clip on lights for the 10 gallons. Any experience with these?

thanks ya’ll! 🙂

Well, we use some REALLY budget lighting.

23624710-DA4F-4063-8FB8-148351C37CFF.jpeg.14af6cc2e9366dd9f27237cbc0213aa7.jpeg

We also add cupboard liner underneath as diffuser to mute lights.

4212C36D-5C7C-493E-AE13-C1DBF5765ACD.jpeg.422e04fe3d68e1eb8040a07e1242a2e9.jpeg

We grow lots of plants with this set up. Not saying it’s everyone’s cup of tea, but for cheap? It’s a good option to keep in mind.

I love the Fluval Stingray for a low light, budget friendly option. But for a fish room you probably are better off with 1 large (or multiple) overhead light(s) . The startup price will most likely be well worth the cost, considering a year or so down the road all the aggravation you'll be going through with tangled cords running all over, needing outlets in specific, locations, ect.... 

On 3/12/2022 at 8:06 AM, DustinJWagner said:

Hi all!

thanks ya’ll! 🙂

My least expensive solution has been Costco lights. I have several shoplights from Costco that are enough lumens to grow some more finicky plants as I have gotten braver. I mount on the bottom of the shelf above, so multiple tanks get light from one mounted shoplight. My spouse's 4' tank has a shoplight on the front, and a single functioning fluorescent tube GroLite in the back.

I did buy a Fluval Aquasky for my Walstad inspired tank, it was on sale and I have thoroughly enjoyed being able to program the lights. It can handle medium light plants.