Dutch/ plant farm 75 gallon (and other projects)

Here's a little preview of the almost-final product. I want to move the rotala right a touch to give it more room. I also cut the Ludwigia a tad too short 🥲

Gonna take some nice pictures in the next week or so. I'm pretty sure there are no AGA judges secretly lurking this forum so I'm pretty sure it's safe to post here PXL_20230825_045500239.jpg.1ceab662d40db3cd1e6fadaca6fd7bc9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I never nailed the timing and trimming this year. I'm going to be in Ireland for the next week and back on the 9th, so I have one day to (hopefully) get a better photo once I get back. 

One big change I made is moving the buce back up front. It didn't look good in the background. I'm also hoping the rotala will be recovered a bit by the time I return, I accidentally took it down too far.

PXL_20230902_073101660.jpg.a87bdcf8ce21adbe975dd142b74edaba.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/2/2023 at 10:18 AM, gjcarew said:

One big change I made is moving the buce back up front. It didn't look good in the background. I'm also hoping the rotala will be recovered a bit by the time I return, I accidentally took it down too far.

Fingers crossed that "bolbitis wall" on the back right fills in.  Seriously amazing photo. The movement of the tank, despite it being still is entrancing. It reminds me of this:

4.jpg

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Overall I kinda like the layout. There is still a big empty spot on the right that I was leaving empty in hopes my dormant nymphaea minuta bulb would grow in, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything. The left side is definitely still a hodge-podge too. But at least the middle ain't bad

PXL_20231201_055029597.jpg.a3540f8e4b67db62bf6fb1ac94c31fd5.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/1/2023 at 12:05 AM, gjcarew said:

Overall I kinda like the layout. There is still a big empty spot on the right that I was leaving empty in hopes my dormant nymphaea minuta bulb would grow in, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

Maybe a spot for some hygrophila corymbosa?

Given the layers and all the detail on the left I wish the right had that same layered impact. It'll be interesting to see what you end up with!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 1:34 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Maybe a spot for some hygrophila corymbosa?

Given the layers and all the detail on the left I wish the right had that same layered impact. It'll be interesting to see what you end up with!

I added some ammania pedicellata to the right side. We will have to see how it does without aquasoil. I know in general it's a finicky one.

I think I'm going to get rid of the limnophila aromatica next. It just isn't distinctive enough. Maybe I'll replace it with something like anubias barteri, I need something with broad leaves and dark green color there I think. Or I could go full on fruit stand and try alternanthera reinickii or something.

PXL_20231210_065204319.jpg.84c263dce06c80a4b742dee96eeebb71.jpg

Edited by gjcarew
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 12/10/2023 at 1:02 PM, anewbie said:

you mean the pink jacobi right front? Mine has started to grow tall; i mean way tall; taller than me 😞

Well if you want it to look short and sickly for months, you could try uprooting it.

In all seriousness that tends to happen in lower light. High light makes crypts lay wide and flat 

On 12/11/2023 at 10:25 AM, gjcarew said:

Well if you want it to look short and sickly for months, you could try uprooting it.

In all seriousness that tends to happen in lower light. High light makes crypts lay wide and flat 

i'm not sure what to think the pink jacboii is high but the nurii rosen is laying flat; the light is only at 55% maybe i should up it a little or maybe a tall jacboii is worth no algae? What do you think - if i raise the light will things grow better or will algae find a home? 

btw everything was uprooted sept 10th when i moved the aquarium; alas that didn't dent it. Dang weed i should pull them all out.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Before and after. I've been traveling a lot so haven't had time to trim. It's crazy how much happier the fish look when they have some room to swim.

I'm also trying out Limnophila sp. Wavy and Hygrophila odora for the back left, since the Hygrophila difformis kept bolting to the surface and looking all messy.

PXL_20240113_185023092.jpg.f1fad53a38d62a92e019ea018302e0f8.jpg

PXL_20240115_024826067_MP.jpg.edea489fa9e5d7509b7a9309610b9699.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/15/2024 at 6:07 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Wow, she really grew in!. Must have been a fulfilling trim session 😆

It was exhausting! All in all it was like 6 hours over three days, including all the replanting, substrate cleaning, water change, etc.

It's much more manageable to stay on top of it and only have to trim a little each week

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 3:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I think you have one of my favorite plants!  That buce is doing well for you it seems.  I enjoy that specific shade and leaf shape.  Looking forward to whenever I can get my hands on some.  (Kedegang Japan, not round leaf)

This was from TC, and that entire bunch is only about half of what I had (after ~2 years). I'm selling the other half this week. Buce does so much better when it's planted in the substrate!

• Love 1

On 1/28/2024 at 10:45 PM, gjcarew said:

This was from TC, and that entire bunch is only about half of what I had (after ~2 years). I'm selling the other half this week. Buce does so much better when it's planted in the substrate!

Well if you are selliing them i'll take a few.

On 1/29/2024 at 12:01 PM, gjcarew said:

Just the roots

They look amazing! How did you get them to stay? I have a BN pleco that likes to rearrange my anubias if they're not glued to harscape. I currently have some 4 types of buce that I glued to some rock but I really like the carpet that you have. I want to try it too 😁

• Thanks 1