BIO Wheel

Zodiak246

Run it, it’s fine.  They add minimal performance, anyway, but as long as you don’t have a reason to NOT use it, there isn’t any reason why you can’t.  I pulled mine out of a couple on my 75 gallon so I could run plants emerse around sponge blocks stuffed in the compartments.  Otherwise I run them, but don’t care if they turn.  The surface area they provide is minimal compared to the sponge block filling and even the sponge pre filter I run on all my HOB’s.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum!

My thoughts; if it came out of one of your tanks, I would say give it a soak and see what you can get off and then use it. If it came with a filter you got from someone else, I would pitch it and either replace or just run without it. I find that the wheel is not as important, and actually makes some water splashing noise.

I just pulled out the factory filter cartridge and replaced it with filter sponge and put some biorings in front of the sponge.

I have a 150, I have it in storage right now, I took the bio-wheel out and put it in another tank to just float around and grow stuff.

I've used bio-wheels that were in the garage for a while.  Just give it a good soak overnight and rinse off.

What I'd really like to know is are those wheels actually effective or just a gimmick.  I like the idea that they maintain a home for bacteria when cartridges are changed (if you use cartridges).  But how big a home does the wheel actually provide?  I'd love a side-by-side scientific experiment of wheel vs. no-wheel.  This is also true for so many products!

• Like 2

On 3/2/2022 at 9:56 AM, Fishman Jason said:

I've used bio-wheels that were in the garage for a while.  Just give it a good soak overnight and rinse off.

What I'd really like to know is are those wheels actually effective or just a gimmick.  I like the idea that they maintain a home for bacteria when cartridges are changed (if you use cartridges).  But how big a home does the wheel actually provide?  I'd love a side-by-side scientific experiment of wheel vs. no-wheel.  This is also true for so many products!

Looks to me like they would do very little. Kind of like those stupid media rocks like matrix I think it's called. So ya, gimmick.

BTW speaking of gimmicks,  use course foam instead of cartridges, this way you don't have to replace it just lightly clean after they start to plug. 

Search youtube for Cory's video on optimizing HOB filters. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott
  • Like 2