Aquarium Stand With 2x3s?

Ogpulchra

I'm going to build a stand for a 40g long next weekend, and I'm wondering if I can get away with 2x3s. I'm planning on using a design similar to this, but I can add a center support if needed. I am limited on vertical space, so the extra 2 inches would allow me to add a couple of small tanks on the bottom. 

a51f61cff989c5b2a6107055220b4ae3.jpg

Absolutely, there’s nothing magical about 2x4s. In fact I often rip off 3/8 of an inch on each side of a 2x4 to get a nice clean look without the radius on the corners. If it’s a standard rimmed tanks you won’t even need a center support because they only need to be supported on the ends. Check out the videos of the Aquarium co-op retail store, all their tanks are setup with no horizontal support pieces in the front or back, just along the sides. 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 12:07 PM, Ogpulchra said:

2x3s.

Lumber usually is actually less than the name indicates like 2x3, 2x4, 2x6-over the years the lumber industry has somehow decided that it's OK to keep shaving a bit off the dimensions. What is the actual size of the boards you are thinking of using?  By the way, I built a stand just like this one and it was very easy and turned out great!

Edited by dmurray407

Thanks, Patrick! It will save money too. I can't believe how expensive 2x4s are now.

On 2/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, dmurray407 said:

Lumber usually is actually less than the name indicates like 2x3, 2x4, 2x6-over the years the lumber industry has somehow decided that it's OK to keep shaving a bit off the dimensions. What is the actual size of the boards you are thinking of using?  By the way, I built a stand just like this one and it was very easy and turned out great!

Yeah, the 2x3s would be 1.5"x2.5".

Edited by Ogpulchra
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 10:32 AM, Patrick_G said:

Maybe use some 2x4s on the uprights so you have a little bit more wood to screw and glue into. You don’t want to have any side to side wobble. That would be bad 😁

True. I did plan on adding some kind of bracing, but 2x4s for the vertical supports is a good idea. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 1:25 PM, dmurray407 said:

Lumber usually is actually less than the name indicates like 2x3, 2x4, 2x6-over the years the lumber industry has somehow decided that it's OK to keep shaving a bit off the dimensions. What is the actual size of the boards you are thinking of using?  By the way, I built a stand just like this one and it was very easy and turned out 

The raw lumber is cut to the nominal size, but it shrinks when it dries.

https://sherwoodlumber.com/nominal-vs-actual-lumber-sizes/