Deep cleaning a filter

Mr Gumby

So.....I may have inadvertently left a canister filter full of water after I'd swapped it out for sponge filters.

Finally got round to cleaning it today and it smells really bad.

Cleaned and silicon greased the filter and that's all good but the sponge and media still smells really bad.

Other than bleach is there any other options for removing the smell as the idea of safely rinsing the bleach scares me a little

Thanks for the responses @Flumpweesel@Guppysnail.

The sponges are for the prefilter and are specially shaped and a bit spendy which is why I'd rather clean and keep them if possible.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:02 PM, Griznatch said:

Bad time of year for it, but direct sunlight does wonders for killing bacteria. That'll only help if it's a bacterial thing that's making it smell bad however.

Haven't seen the sun for about 4 months lol

• Haha 2

dont run bleach through it. besides being bas for anything fish related, bleach will do a number on o-rings, and seals. i would run warm water, and vinegar through it. put the vinegar/water in a 5 gallon bucket with the intake/output, turn it on and let it clean itself for a few hours.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 12:09 AM, lefty o said:

dont run bleach through it. besides being bas for anything fish related, bleach will do a number on o-rings, and seals. i would run warm water, and vinegar through it. put the vinegar/water in a 5 gallon bucket with the intake/output, turn it on and let it clean itself for a few hours.

Sounds like a plan