Would pygmy corys be ok in here with Breeding shrimp?

Lizzyduff

5 gal- Right now I've only got 3 juvenile blue dream neocaridina and some snails in there, but there are a couple more on the way.  I'd like to add some pygmy Corys but am worried they'd eat the shrimp... I've made plenty of places to hide,  but still. 

20220219_103341.jpg

Edited by Lizzyduff
Correction of title
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Pygmy cories are really small, so any shrimp that's bigger then their mouth will be safe. They might get one or two babies every now and then but they won't decimate the population, and the number of shrimp will increase. If you get a mix of both sexs, they might even breed. But the snails might eat the eggs, depending on the type of snail.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I keep Pygmy with neo shrimp. They are fine. Possibly the one off new hatch shrimplette might get eaten but not noticeable. I routinely round up shrimp from my Pygmy tank because they get overpopulate even with a large group of celestial pearl danios added to the tank. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Typo
  • Like 2

@Guppysnailwhat size is that tank? Is that one of your 10g?

@Lizzyduff I'm a few weeks away from getting pygmy corydoras for my shrimp tank as well. Your tank has plenty of hiding areas for shrimplettes. The only other thing I could recommend is to watch how the corydoras interact with the shrimp while feeding the shrimp. You may want to get a dish that is suctioned up near the surface to feed the shrimp their sinking foods. If the cories are eating the shrimp food too much I mean.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 12:12 PM, Minanora said:

@Guppysnailwhat size is that tank? Is that one of your 10g?

@Lizzyduff I'm a few weeks away from getting pygmy corydoras for my shrimp tank as well. Your tank has plenty of hiding areas for shrimplettes. The only other thing I could recommend is to watch how the corydoras interact with the shrimp while feeding the shrimp. You may want to get a dish that is suctioned up near the surface to feed the shrimp their sinking foods. If the cories are eating the shrimp food too much I mean.

They started in the 10 but I moved them to a 20 long. 
original 10 F9CC55EA-9FCC-47FB-8DBB-DBBEAABC61C9.png.545ac2e8033b3682abce8096f4aed04f.png

20 long33E20D10-9B16-4189-BF81-8612E1DF2BAF.png.e1291dbb7e314daa0f4782abbee31b72.png

• Love 1

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but since it's back on the front page of this subforum, I thought I'd post my thoughts too. While there might be a little loss immediately after the shrimp hatch, I'd say it is a very low risk. 

I have a 55 gallon planted aquarium with 8 nerite snails, 12 pygmy corydoras, 40 celestial pearl danios, up to 16 emerald dwarf rasboras ( I never can find them all) & 45 chili rasboras. In April I added 26 neocaridinia shrimp. It's been less than 2 months & the colony is up to at least 50 now. If I'm having any baby shrimp losses, the pygmy corydoras are the lowest ranked critters on that stock list that I would blame.

• Like 1