MJo

MJo

Hi every! New here. I will introduce myself and my tanks when I can move again. (Imminent back surgery). But, for now,,, I can’t find an ID on this snail. Not many get past pinhead size or so cuz we pluck them out. Not too many right now. DO NOT want an explosion! Lol. Thanks for any info about these ‘guests’. They look different than your usual suspects 

547BC465-5B99-49D1-8809-20C51E49EFE9.jpeg

I have bladder, ramshorn and malaysian trumpet snails.  I enjoy them all and they don’t get out of control in my tanks. I’ve been told that over feeding leads to an overpopulation of snail. 

here’s a funny video with Dean and Zenzo from aquarium co-op. 

Edited by Patrick_G

On 2/15/2022 at 3:24 PM, Guppysnail said:

If the shell lays flat to the glass and they stay small probably planorbis planorbis (double typed word is intentional). A forum member recently helped me with the real name of these little guys I always called micro ramshorns. 🙂 

So a different species than “regular” ramshorn snails and not just babies? 

On 2/15/2022 at 6:43 PM, Patrick_G said:

So a different species than “regular” ramshorn snails and not just babies? 

These I have no idea. The ones in my tanks get only slightly larger than the flat head of a pin as full grown. @Biotope Biologist Helped me with the possible I’d on mine. Mine are not regular ramshorns. Always flat on glass never upright. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2022 at 4:15 PM, Patrick_G said:

I have bladder, ramshorn and malaysian trumpet snails.  I enjoy them all and they don’t get out of control in my tanks. I’ve been told that over feeding leads to an overpopulation of snail. 

here’s a funny video with Dean and Zenzo from aquarium co-op. 

i am on the dean side i dont like at all rams horn mine are just ugly and get out of control but i have kept the population by feeding less and removing one each day

• Like 1

Thanks everyone ☺️ Been in research mode. It’s looking like I have ramshorn! I may be leaning toward the planorbis planorbis. It is very small and does stay flat on glass or leaves (mostly glass). Maybe they are so small cuz we pluck ‘em, tho.

Open mind. But not on the subject of plucking. I am team Dean.