Wonder Shells

Cinnebuns

Anyone use wonder shells?  I just got some in the mail. Gonna use them in a tank with snails and a tank with guppies. The directions and videos I've seen about them are lacking in some things I'm wondering about them. Do I just keep them in the aquarium at all times?  Should I be monitoring my gh more now that I'm using them?  I apparently got the small ones which are for bowl sized tanks. Anyone happen to know how many of them I should then put in a 10g and 29g? I assume multiple and therefore should I start with 1 at a time to not overload the system? Anything to watch out for with using them with panda cories?  My concern there was the fact that they hang out on the bottom where the shell is. 

Pics of exactly which package I got.

20220209_231807.jpg

20220209_231144.jpg

Well, it depends on your water parameters that you have in your tank, the parameters of the water you're putting into the tank, and how quickly the GH is being depleted from your tank. I know that's not super helpful, but it's true.

It also depends on the volume of water in the tank. If you put one in, you may not see a lot of change or stabilization as these erode slowly, even in a filter basket. The directions provided, in my experience are for stabilizing GH in an unplanted aquarium. This is what we used them for when I was a kid. They slightly raised the GH in our tanks.

I'm sure other people have more input. I have moved to using crushed coral as it raises both KH and GH as I came back into the hobby. Though this isn't super stable... Honestly I haven't found the magic ticket for "stability" in GH, KH and pH with my 20G. The 75, it takes longer to trend affects and changes so I have no idea if what I'm doing is actually working the way I think it is.

But I digress. It depends on your goal. Depending on what you're looking for, you may need more or less shells depending on your setup and tank size. However, they won't bother the corydoras with their physical presence in the tank.

• Like 2

I personally use one of those tiny ones in a 10 gallon, just because I’d rather use too little than too much. I then test the GH and see where I’m at, and add another one if necessary.

You just leave it in there, and over time it will dissolve completely. If it dissolves really fast, it could mean your GH was really low. I’ve had a wondershell actually fizz when I put it in the tank!

It shouldn’t pose any risk at all to your cories. It’s just minerals, so they should be able to swim around it, even sit on it and taste it without any problems. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I prefer the Coop directions as apposed to the package directions. Package direction is to much of course to get you to buy more. This is what we used many moons ago to condition water. I have hard water so don’t need them but I occasionally throw a piece in for guppy’s and snails to make sure there is enough magnesium in addition to calcium. I did have my panda Cory in with my guppies for a bit and noticed shortly after putting them in they would flash a bit as if the increased hardness made them itchy but then they would calm down once adjusted. 

• Like 1

i use them, but at much lower than the recommended amount.  in 20-55 gallon i use 1 small, and larger tanks 2 small or a large (whatever i have handy). i use them as a supplemental water treatment, but mostly as a mineral supplement. they will dissolve over a period of a few days to a week on their own.

• Like 1

Yeah, don't do what's on the package. In my 29 gallon I use 2 of the smallest size shells for my 0-1 dGH water. In my 10 gallons I use only one at a time and wait one water change after dissolution to add another. It's worked well for me and kept my GH around 5 to 8 (higher for my shrimp tank!) in all my tanks.

• Thanks 1

I still laugh at myself when I see wondershells.  I have crazy super hard water, and I'd never heard of them 'till a stash came with my 95 gallon.  I read the package (and alllllllllllll those things it's supposed to do 😋) and thought "this has to be a gimmick!"  So, I let my daughter paint them as a craft project.  🤣

• Haha 2