Female Apisto C. wont eat and is hiding

Wadikus

Hi there

So I've had a pair of Apisto C. for a little over 2 weeks and now in my tank and everyone was full of energy and active but these last few days the girl has gone down to the corners and is generally hiding. She's not pursuing food or seems to really have any interest in food. The male is growing and has beautiful colors, hes active all over the tank.

Water parameters are perfect and very stable.. she has a white sort of string coming out of her butt.. I've read this can be a symptom of parasites however it can also be a symptom of just not having eaten? Obviously I want to save her and will do what I can.. but my huge problem is im in Canada and we have a stupid ban on fish medications.. if this wasnt the case I'd already have para cleanse and expel-P on the way.

I've heard I can do salt? But it will harm all my plants. I was really hoping Co-Op was going to start shipping to Canada soon as i've heard we can buy meds from USA and have them shipped.

Is there anything I can do? or do I just monitor and if it gets bad euthanize? 

This is my first tank and i'm trying to be the best fish owner I can be 😞

Thanks

Edited by Wadikus

If you don't have a Qarantine tank I would try salt baths 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 time's a day if you notice any destress remove her from the salt straight away you could also add some Indian almond leaves you need a lot of leaves to get  a beneficial effect 1 leaf per gallon as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties you could also try soaking her food in seachems garlic guard to simulate her appetite 

Edited by Colu

Unfortunately I do not have a quarantine tank.. so what you’re saying is take like a bucket and fill it with conditioned water of the same temp and the give her a bath in it for 15 minutes? Then back to the main tank? I can use one of my buckets that I do aquarium water changes with?

also I assume you mean aquarium salt?

thanks so much for your replies

Edited by Wadikus

On 2/10/2022 at 4:16 AM, Wadikus said:

Unfortunately I do not have a quarantine tank.. so what you’re saying is take like a bucket and fill it with conditioned water of the same temp and the give her a bath in it for 15 minutes? Then back to the main tank? I can use one of my buckets that I do aquarium water changes with?

also I assume you mean aquarium salt?

thanks so much for your replies

I use a bucket when doing aquarium salt baths I take 2 gallons of tank water add 1table spoon of Aquarium salt mix well leave for no more then 15 minutes 

On 2/9/2022 at 9:14 PM, Wadikus said:

Hi there

So I've had a pair of Apisto C. for a little over 2 weeks and now in my tank and everyone was full of energy and active but these last few days the girl has gone down to the corners and is generally hiding. She's not pursuing food or seems to really have any interest in food. The male is growing and has beautiful colors, hes active all over the tank.

Water parameters are perfect and very stable.. she has a white sort of string coming out of her butt.. I've read this can be a symptom of parasites however it can also be a symptom of just not having eaten? Obviously I want to save her and will do what I can.. but my huge problem is im in Canada and we have a stupid ban on fish medications.. if this wasnt the case I'd already have para cleanse and expel-P on the way.

I've heard I can do salt? But it will harm all my plants. I was really hoping Co-Op was going to start shipping to Canada soon as i've heard we can buy meds from USA and have them shipped.

Is there anything I can do? or do I just monitor and if it gets bad euthanize? 

This is my first tank and i'm trying to be the best fish owner I can be 😞

Thanks

Can you snap photos, or share a video?

Sometimes Apisto females will hunker down in a secluded place in order to set up shop for spawning. I've had Apistos spawn in quiet corners a handful of times before.

But the white feces sound bad, combined with not eating. Parasites are very common with these fish. We lost our A. Cacatuoides to parasites that slowly took the life out of them.

API General Cure is what I typically use for internal problems. But in Canada, I understand certain medicines are not easy to acquire.

The active ingredients are: 500 mg Metronidazole and 150 mg Praziquantel per teaspoon.

You may be able to buy these over the counter online from chemist suppliers in Canada, and break down pills / tablets with a mortar and pestle. For Metronidazole, check here. For Praziquantel (goes by Biltricide) check here.

Oh, if I solve this for Canadians, I so want a complimentary Pike Fishing trip . . . 🇨🇦

I’ll try and snap a photo but it’s difficult as she’s hiding out under my drift wood etc… hopefully tomorrow ill be able to snap a picture/video. The reason I don’t think she’s setting up to spawn as they’re both pretty young still (I think).. she’s very little.

it’s very frustrating this whole medication thing in Canada.. aquarists got caught in a crossfire. 

thank you

This will sound stupid but if I have to do that 3 times a day I’m taking 6 gallons out of my tank daily and I only have 29 gallon, this won’t stress the tank too much you think?

Update: Whatever killed her has now killed all of my cardinals and im afraid it's killing the rest of my tank. All other fish have reduced energy levels.

parameters are still okay..

feeling super defeated.

Edited by Wadikus

I went out and got a 10 gallon quarantine hospital tank.. but I think all of my fish are sick so I haven't the slightest clue what to do. 

Once this all blows over.. and all my fish are either dead or some survived how do I know when I can re introduce fish into my tank? How do i know its safe.. I have a ton of live plants so I can't just drain it.

If your suffering mass mortality it more than likely a bacterial infection could be Columnaris have you noticed any white patches or white lips on your fish with what your describing I would treat with kanaplex and jungal fungas clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment schedule using jungal fungas clear fizz tabs instead of furan2 as it has been discontinued @Wadikus

Screenshot_20210721-021420~5.png

Edited by Colu

Would love to do this treatment but I am unable do to the unavailability of fish medication in Canada. No white patches from what I can see just white dots on the Cardinal Tetras which I assume is ICH. I treated with API super cure as its the only ICH med in Canada I could get my hands on.

It's putting a beating on my Bristlenose and Corys as they are sensitive to the meds. It's also tanking my oxygen levels I think, I've added an additional airstone and have raised the temp slightly.

Almost none of the fish have an appetite except for the male apisto.

Edited by Wadikus

Liquid from of Api super ick cure is combination of 7.2mg of malachite green and 120 mg of nitrofurazone so I would keep treating with that for now even if your fish don't have White spot I would also add a second additional air stone  as well it's difficult to up the salt as your Cory's and Bristlenose are more sensitive to salt I would Keep treating with Aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons as well 

On 2/16/2022 at 10:58 AM, Wadikus said:

Update: Whatever killed her has now killed all of my cardinals and im afraid it's killing the rest of my tank. All other fish have reduced energy levels.

parameters are still okay..

feeling super defeated.

Sounds like a bacteria infection and not parasite. However it could also be water condition; have you tested for nitrite and ammonia ?

It could be flukes with the symptoms your describing I would recommend treating with general cure as your in Canada I would treat with aquarium salt bath 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes salt is effective against some types of parasites

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Colu,

fortunately I was able to find a vet to prescribe me some praziquantel/metro and i saved the male + my corys and bristle. I did lose all my other tetras. After finishing the treatment and performing multiple water changes I restocked the tank this weeked lightly with some Rummys and a new female cactuoides. Unfortunately she almost immediately started behaving weird.. all other fish are fine, water parameters are great and rummys noses are bright red.

She's up in the corner of my tank tilted downwards at a 45 degree angle?? I see no signs of physical disease and it's way to fast for any pathogen in the tank to have done this to her (24 hours after introduction).

Any ideas?

IMG_4562.jpeg

IMG_4560.jpg

On 3/8/2022 at 3:48 PM, Wadikus said:

Hi Colu,

fortunately I was able to find a vet to prescribe me some praziquantel/metro and i saved the male + my corys and bristle. I did lose all my other tetras. After finishing the treatment and performing multiple water changes I restocked the tank this weeked lightly with some Rummys and a new female cactuoides. Unfortunately she almost immediately started behaving weird.. all other fish are fine, water parameters are great and rummys noses are bright red.

She's up in the corner of my tank tilted downwards at a 45 degree angle?? I see no signs of physical disease and it's way to fast for any pathogen in the tank to have done this to her (24 hours after introduction).

Any ideas?

IMG_4562.jpeg

IMG_4560.jpg

Did you Qarantine her have you seen the male show any aggression towards her