Trying my hand at Live plants, but...

How the heck do you keep the little buggers in the ground and not floating around the surface? None of the free swimmers in this tank is particularly large but the plants keep popping out of the ground. My guess is that the cory's are disturbing them but it could be the fire eel too. She does spend the majority of her time under the gravel, cruising around like a worm from Dune. There are two rather large rainbow sharks in here too, but I haven't seen them messing with the plants. Maybe at night when the lights are off?

20201011_124017.jpg

• Like 1

The plant weights could be used to get them to stay on the substrate long enough to root. Keep in mind that plants like anubias and Java fern have rhizomes (the horizontal root the stems/leaves and roots grow from) and rhizomes must stay above the substrate. You can’t bury them or the plant will die. 

You can bury the roots that are growing down, and put a plant weight around the rhizome loosely. The roots will eventually grab the substrate and you can carefully remove the weight. Keep it loose, and make sure you’re fish can’t get hurt in any sharp edges or corners. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 10:39 PM, Mitch Norton said:

The plant weights could be used to get them to stay on the substrate long enough to root. Keep in mind that plants like anubias and Java fern have rhizomes (the horizontal root the stems/leaves and roots grow from) and rhizomes must stay above the substrate. You can’t bury them or the plant will die. 

You can bury the roots that are growing down, and put a plant weight around the rhizome loosely. The roots will eventually grab the substrate and you can carefully remove the weight. Keep it loose, and make sure you’re fish can’t get hurt in any sharp edges or corners. 

I know about the rhizome. That's why I'm having trouble keeping them planted. What is this "Plant Weight" you speak of? Is it an official product to be purchased or is it whatever you happen to find that works?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whip's World said:

I know about the rhizome. That's why I'm having trouble keeping them planted. What is this "Plant Weight" you speak of? Is it an official product to be purchased or is it whatever you happen to find that works?

Ah! Disregard. They are a product to be purchased. I just saw the link from the previous reply.

• Like 1

I've had a rough time with my plants, too. Same thing with them popping out before they take hold, and several rookie mistakes. I'm waiting for some dwarf hair grass for my new 10 gal, and watched a video of a guy who separated each individual piece of grass and used aquarium tweezers to plant them individually, all over his tank. I wish i were so talented. 

On 10/11/2020 at 1:56 PM, Whip's World said:

How the heck do you keep the little buggers in the ground and not floating around the surface? None of the free swimmers in this tank is particularly large but the plants keep popping out of the ground. My guess is that the cory's are disturbing them but it could be the fire eel too. She does spend the majority of her time under the gravel, cruising around like a worm from Dune. There are two rather large rainbow sharks in here too, but I haven't seen them messing with the plants. Maybe at night when the lights are off?

20201011_124017.jpg

I let my banana plants float. They sit on the bottom first, but then they grow enough enough leaves that they float. They keep growing, so I am not too concerned. I agree with above about plants with rhizomes, I had to learn that one the hard way!! Killed a few healthy plants that I had been growing by moving them and planting them. Now I tie them to driftwood, or sit them into a pot in the tank where they won't float, but aren't buried. 

Edited by siniardem
Edited to add more info
  • Like 1

These are super cool if you are not 100% certain on placement of plants or have bare bottom tanks.  Also if your substrate is deep enough just bury the pot up to the top.

EasyPlanter2_240x.jpg?v=1601412908
WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

The hole in the bottom center allows plant roots to reach the substrate. Works in bare glass aquariums. Keeps fish from digging up your plants...