Fishkeeping While Sick

Cinnebuns

Looking for some suggestions. I'm very sick and therefore have low energy right now. I had to skip this week's water change because I can barely stay awake let alone do a water change. I'm gonna do fewer feedings to keep the water cleaner. Any other ideas to keep the fish safe while I'm unable to do regular maintenance?

Edit to add:  I checked parameters on Sunday and they were great. Both tanks exactly the same at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. I was going to do a wc or at least top off but my energy has been completely zapped. I know at those levels a wc isn't required but they will need a top off eventually.  Mostly looking to keep the parameters good until I get better. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

For now I would say leave your aquariums, your fish will be fine. You can continue to test your water and if need be get a family member or freind to do a waterchange for you. You can keep feedings to a minimum. This will help reduce amonia/ nitrites.

Get Better Soon! Put your health before your fish, they'll be just fine when your ready to take the responsiblity of matnience again.

• Thanks 2

On 1/25/2022 at 7:31 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Looking for some suggestions. I'm very sick and therefore have low energy right now. I had to skip this week's water change because I can barely stay awake let alone do a water change. I'm gonna do fewer feedings to keep the water cleaner. Any other ideas to keep the fish safe while I'm unable to do regular maintenance?

Edit to add:  I checked parameters on Sunday and they were great. Both tanks exactly the same at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. I was going to do a wc or at least top off but my energy has been completely zapped. I know at those levels a wc isn't required but they will need a top off eventually.  Mostly looking to keep the parameters good until I get better. 

I had surgery back in November. I was lucky that I had time to get prepared for not being able to take care of tanks.

I also have post-covid syndrome, and that does not give me advance notice for not being able to get out of bed. 

My solution is duckweed, frogbit, and watersprite. I move some from a tank with plenty of growth into any tank that is a potential risk. I have an overstocked tank that read 5 ppm nitrates the Sunday before surgery. It now reads 0 nitrates, has been getting overfed, and hasn't had a water change since July. It was topped off before my surgery, and finally got topped off again yesterday. 

Sick is the best argument for Co-op strips. Test your water every other day, and in a pinch, use 2 drops per gallon if you detect ammonia or nitrites and increase aeration.

This will boost your beneficial bacteria, and save your energy for things like getting plenty of liquid in you. 

If your fish are nice and healthy to start with, they will be fine without food or water changes for a week or two. It would just be like if you went on vacation and had no one to feed them or anything. I got covid back just before Christmas, and for about a week just had no energy, I went downstairs to my fish room once that week, and fed the fish, but that was all I had energy to do. I had to lie down and nap after walking back up the stairs. 

• Like 1

First, I just wanted to say Get well Soon.

Secondly, I think this is such a relevant topic at this time.

Thanks for posting. I look forward to reading all the comments. 

I am very blessed by a husband who understands my fish room  and would take on everything but I know everyone is not the same way.