The Livings, Learnings, and all around Shenanigans of Swampy's Fishkeeping.

KatFish

2/17/22 

Just a small update for now!
Did a check on my parameters, since we have signs of life! (Though as of this moment Waldo the snail is currently a Schrödinger 😉 - but really, I'm going to have to cap off my lava rock with some white sand, because this little guy blends in just way to well!)

Current parameters as of 2/16/2022:

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: ~0.25ppm
Nitrite: 5.0ppm
Nitrate: ~10ppm
gH: 75ppm
kH: 4ppm
(gH and kH are from the Tetra 5-in-1 test strips)

Now I know the Nitrites are high, but I have a LOT of plants growing sprouts, and making new growth from acclimating from the store to my water.
I've got one moss ball thriving, and the other isn't- so I've already pulled up the moss ball care guide  and I'm looking into what I can do to revive it. Thankfully the moss is still green, but it's just not as green and healthy as it's other ball buddy.

So far we only have the one Betta Bulb growing sprouts, and the last picture I showed you it had like, two or three- now we have four! 
Jerry from our UTP ( "Unidentified Tall Plant" ) has a total of four sprouts as well, and his root system has even started to grow through a lava rock! He hasn't gotten any taller yet though, but the root system is huge! 
No name for the Betta Bulb yet- obviously- but once we learn what plant it is, then we can name it. 

I've also decided that when I get some other snails I'll be naming them Schrödinger, Carmen, and Houdini.
Because, they all fit within that "Where's Waldo" vibe, ya know?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2022 at 7:20 AM, Swampbones said:

Thankfully the moss is still green, but it's just not as green and healthy as it's other ball buddy.

I, too, have a Houdini. May I suggest a secure lid if you choose Houdini... as our Papillion/chihuahua/pomeranian mix found our Houdini on walk-a-bout.😅

As for your moss ball, you didn't list temp.

I keep moss balls in my fry grow out tanks, because they support microfauna growth for fry to snack on. The moss balls originated in very cold lakes, and don't look their best in warmer temps.

So I rotate my moss balls through the fridge. Each moss ball does 2 weeks in the tank, one week in the fridge, unless the fridge is misbehaving and there's a risk of freezing in the fridge. 

Twice I have saved a moss ball from ice age conditions, by moving it into a cold corner. Luckily, none of the moss balls are named "Baby" 😅

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2022 at 6:58 PM, Torrey said:

I, too, have a Houdini. May I suggest a secure lid if you choose Houdini... as our Papillion/chihuahua/pomeranian mix found our Houdini on walk-a-bout.😅

As for your moss ball, you didn't list temp.

I keep moss balls in my fry grow out tanks, because they support microfauna growth for fry to snack on. The moss balls originated in very cold lakes, and don't look their best in warmer temps.

So I rotate my moss balls through the fridge. Each moss ball does 2 weeks in the tank, one week in the fridge, unless the fridge is misbehaving and there's a risk of freezing in the fridge. 

Twice I have saved a moss ball from ice age conditions, by moving it into a cold corner. Luckily, none of the moss balls are named "Baby" 😅

Ah! Temperature for the parameters was 72* 
Today is.... oh boy 80* - Gotta love these freak ice storms. 😔 

The other one is still thriving though! I don't think my mom will mind some missing tupperware filled with some moss balls 😅 

Also, I'm starting to think I have had a Houdini situation and my dog had a snack... his breath smells extra fishy 😕 
I love my dog, but he would be dumb enough to eat a snail- and the snail was small enough he probably swallowed it whole.
Time to pull out the hair dryer and see if I can unwarp the plastic lid.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:44 AM, Swampbones said:

Ah! Temperature for the parameters was 72* 
Today is.... oh boy 80* - Gotta love these freak ice storms. 😔 

The other one is still thriving though! I don't think my mom will mind some missing tupperware filled with some moss balls 😅 

Also, I'm starting to think I have had a Houdini situation and my dog had a snack... his breath smells extra fishy 😕 
I love my dog, but he would be dumb enough to eat a snail- and the snail was small enough he probably swallowed it whole.
Time to pull out the hair dryer and see if I can unwarp the plastic lid.

I suspect that you may be correct.

20220206_183758.jpg.147410870f25164a7ff266bbafa8eed8.jpg

(Image above: 10 year old zebra nerite, named Houdini)

The only reason we still have Houdini, is because Munchie is a very well trained (if not the best behaved😒) service dog. 

So she barks to alert for **everything** before she does anything about it herself. 😅

20200909_181442.jpg.ef5ccc865f485192e87fa6f307f9aac1.jpg

(Image above: black 'Mastador' laying on blue persian rug on left/top & small poofie, cream colored papillion/chihuahua /pomeranian mix staring at the camera)

• Like 2

2/23/2022

Good morning everyone! Or well- good morning as of the time of typing this anyway! 
I just wanted to give you guys a plant update!

The Betta Bulb that I told you had started sprouting? Here's how it looks this morning! It has shot up like a weed! It's little bulb is now even going out of the water 😳
I guess it was a good thing I was planning at looking at larger tanks, because this one is clearly in need of it! (I'm not even sure a 10g will work at this point... I might need to switch to a 10g Tall, if not larger.)

The other plants are doing alright, but some are having that yellowing/browning issue from I'm assuming lack of nutrients/light. 
But the lack of nutrients are clear from this one plant just eating it all up! 
If they get too bad, I can always put them in my 2g tank to grow out.PXL_20220223_122731165.jpg.36c8be600241de266ff610cf2fa6f951.jpg 

PXL_20220223_122734726.jpg.364e6ed25fafc45a87fae330154eee6b.jpg

PXL_20220223_122741725.jpg.24207a85c84a3103b7107892740e09bd.jpg

PXL_20220223_122757654.jpg.7c0c39c6346a9fbae9571b1b76ec4df1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2/27/2022

Just some small updates again!

I got some water spangles! I actually first bought them in December when we were still in the 50's, but then we had a freak snow storm blow in that froze them to death. 😔 
But the person I bought them from was super kind and was willing to reship me some once the weather was clear! And here they are today!
Look at their long roots!!
 PXL_20220227_160600542.jpg.f346c6d08d1d46bf3f7ab493e8cb6487.jpg

Also a view from the top also shows how well the bulb is sprouting with our Betta Bulb plant! PXL_20220227_161151291.jpg.899d18b609ef3fc0a9a808901d8ea890.jpg

My other update for you guys, is that I've gone ahead and changed my mind about what fish I'm going to keep. 
I still want the Endlers Livebearers- don't get me wrong.

But, I had a burst of inspiration from some shower thoughts! 
I've been scouring the internet, LFSs, and big box stores for my fish- to know avail- but there's one place I never thought to check! 

The local Fishing and Tackle shops.
I know, I know- I'm not going to find Endlers there.
But what did I find?

I found.... The Rosy Red Minnow. Otherwise known as the Fathead Minnow.
Plus- they're sold as feeding fish to Big box stores! 
On YouTube? No one talks about keeping them as a pet! 
They just throw them in a pond with all their Koi or Goldfish and forget about them! 

So I'm gonna do it. I'm going to keep some Rosy Red Minnows instead. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 2/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, Swampbones said:

2/27/2022

Just some small updates again!

I got some water spangles! I actually first bought them in December when we were still in the 50's, but then we had a freak snow storm blow in that froze them to death. 😔 
But the person I bought them from was super kind and was willing to reship me some once the weather was clear! And here they are today!
Look at their long roots!!
 PXL_20220227_160600542.jpg.f346c6d08d1d46bf3f7ab493e8cb6487.jpg

Also a view from the top also shows how well the bulb is sprouting with our Betta Bulb plant! PXL_20220227_161151291.jpg.899d18b609ef3fc0a9a808901d8ea890.jpg

My other update for you guys, is that I've gone ahead and changed my mind about what fish I'm going to keep. 
I still want the Endlers Livebearers- don't get me wrong.

But, I had a burst of inspiration from some shower thoughts! 
I've been scouring the internet, LFSs, and big box stores for my fish- to know avail- but there's one place I never thought to check! 

The local Fishing and Tackle shops.
I know, I know- I'm not going to find Endlers there.
But what did I find?

I found.... The Rosy Red Minnow. Otherwise known as the Fathead Minnow.
Plus- they're sold as feeding fish to Big box stores! 
On YouTube? No one talks about keeping them as a pet! 
They just throw them in a pond with all their Koi or Goldfish and forget about them! 

So I'm gonna do it. I'm going to keep some Rosy Red Minnows instead. 

That sounds like a fun idea!

• Like 1

Love all your updates! Excited about your minnows.

As for your potential dresser tank, it's pretty tall looking dresser so I would do a 20G long up there personally. Easier to get into and feed without a step stool.

And I'd strap the dresser to the wall with a wall anchor. Just be sure there's no electrical that feeds the other side of the wall before you install the anchor, or anchor to a stud.

Edited by Minanora
Verbiage
  • Like 1

Your beta bulb that shot out the flower bulb. I was told bulbs grown in aquariums go dormant quicker if left to flower. I have been trimming all those off to keep it from going dormant. I’m not sure how right this is @Hobbit may have insight from the beautiful bulbs flowers she had this summer. I’m actually curious what it would look like bloomed but don’t want it to go dormant. Great updates thanks for sharing 

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 11:17 AM, Minanora said:

Love all your updates! Excited about your minnows.

As for your potential dresser tank, it's pretty tall looking dresser so I would do a 20G long up there personally. Easier to get into and feed without a step stool.

And I'd strap the dresser to the wall with a wall anchor. Just be sure there's no electrical that feeds the other side of the wall before you install the anchor, or anchor to a stud.

I will absolutely keep anchoring it in mind. 
Based off the the handy dandy cheat sheet I am using to try and figure out my tank- I'm a bit worried a 20g Long would go over my dresser- since it is 30inches exactly, and the website says that most 20g Longs are 30.25inches. 
Going with a Tall is more possible due to the 24.25in width, and the depth of 12.5inches which would easily fall into the depth I have on my dresser of 16.8 inches. 
I honestly don't mind using a stepstool- I have to use it to change my lightbulb, and reach the top shelves. Working on a fish tank won't bother me.

I also planned on adding on some heavier plywood to the top of the dresser, to help hold the weight. 
DIYing the dresser isn't really an issue either, since I got it for $10 at a thrift store almost three years ago (plus I rarely use it for anything other than junk storage) 

On 2/27/2022 at 3:05 PM, Guppysnail said:

Your beta bulb that shot out the flower bulb. I was told bulbs grown in aquariums go dormant quicker if left to flower. I have been trimming all those off to keep it from going dormant. I’m not sure how right this is @Hobbit may have insight from the beautiful bulbs flowers she had this summer. I’m actually curious what it would look like bloomed but don’t want it to go dormant. Great updates thanks for sharing 

Oh that's good to know! I was really wondering what to do with these things! I'm on my fourth one sprouting from the bulb! 
How far down have you been cutting? I know with "regular" (non-aquatic plants) if you trim off to much they die... is that the same for aquatic plants??
At this point I'm out of my depth 🤣 I've surprised myself with a green thumb!

On 2/28/2022 at 10:41 AM, Swampbones said:

I will absolutely keep anchoring it in mind. 
Based off the the handy dandy cheat sheet I am using to try and figure out my tank- I'm a bit worried a 20g Long would go over my dresser- since it is 30inches exactly, and the website says that most 20g Longs are 30.25inches. 
Going with a Tall is more possible due to the 24.25in width, and the depth of 12.5inches which would easily fall into the depth I have on my dresser of 16.8 inches. 
I honestly don't mind using a stepstool- I have to use it to change my lightbulb, and reach the top shelves. Working on a fish tank won't bother me.

I also planned on adding on some heavier plywood to the top of the dresser, to help hold the weight. 
DIYing the dresser isn't really an issue either, since I got it for $10 at a thrift store almost three years ago (plus I rarely use it for anything other than junk storage) 

Oh that's good to know! I was really wondering what to do with these things! I'm on my fourth one sprouting from the bulb! 
How far down have you been cutting? I know with "regular" (non-aquatic plants) if you trim off to much they die... is that the same for aquatic plants??
At this point I'm out of my depth 🤣 I've surprised myself with a green thumb!

As close to the bulb as possible is where I’ve been cutting 

My bulb was in an outdoor tub and it bloomed seven times before going dormant. I think it went dormant because of the weather though, not because of flowering.

My guess is that it all has to do with the amount of energy in the bulb. It will use up energy making leaves and flowers until it runs out, and then will go dormant. But that’s just a guess! So cutting the flower stalks before they bloom basically saves your bulb energy.

It’s pretty neat how fast it’s taking off for you!

• Like 1