The Livings, Learnings, and all around Shenanigans of Swampy's Fishkeeping.

KatFish

So- I won't lie to you- I wanted to make this forum post to absolutely fangirl about my first ACO purchase that came in the mail. (and yes- I wrote a review for the beanie.) 

I can tell you that getting this in the mail after what happened with Ponyo yesterday made me feel a million times better, and it helped strengthen what resolve that was already there to strive to do better, and to keep going.

PXL_20220119_173137358.jpg.197901e720f8cf8bd4606d45717e8140.jpg

Plus- it's 24*F and the winds are at about 50MPH here in my little town of Kansas, and so the beanie is working wonders  for keeping my ears warm! 

I'm researching now about the Almond Leaves, and wondering if it's a good idea to put them in the tank while it is in the process of cycling- or to wait,
As I am learning that the leaves affect the pH. 
I guess it also depends on what fish I plan on getting in the future too- to fill the 6.5 gallon tank. 

Anyhow- onto more Ponyo related business. 
Or rather, the hospital tank I placed him in. (No- I am not shaming anyone, or the tank- this is me asking the universe how this could've been possible) 
PXL_20220119_160739961.jpg.e3a4e51edd9ccef5daf69fc57db7c57f.jpg
I was cleaning it out today (special thanks to my mom for holding it up in the pictures) when I noticed these spots at the bottom of the tank- 
which, I never noticed when I had first started trying to use it ( I was using it to revive some water spangles that froze in the mail- it didn't work) 

PXL_20220119_160743824.jpg.68aa5a1c1e59165dbbdf3ae5faa11efe.jpg

I touch it- and I realize it's like melting plastic! 
The tank is acrylic, yes- but I have never seen this happen before! 
My first thought is that it could have been the heater- but it never touched the bottom of the tank, nor was it ever higher than 74*F. 
Plus- I feel like at that point, if it was the heater, it would melt the sides- not the bottom. 

I then guessed it could have been the medicine, but that honestly baffles me- because that seems silly, I mean- there have been tons of people who treat their fish in hospital tanks that are plastic tupperwares/containers, so why not a 2 gallon fish tank?

Has anyone else ever seen or experienced this?
Obviously- I don't plan on using this tank again- For a wet pet or even plant propagation. 
My plan now is to make it my sticker holder for all the stickers I'm going to get from Aquarium Co-op!

Also, had to take a selfie in the beanie- it's practically mandatory 😉 
PXL_20220119_173831578.jpg.179a46900a2cd032bb211187d07ba9f0.jpg

That is all for today's shenanigans (so far, anyway) 
I hope you all have an awesome day!

• Like 9

On 1/19/2022 at 1:16 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

Now I need one of those beanies! Lol it would be great for snowboarding 

I've never gone snowboarding, but as someone who has sensory issues with fabrics (and my brother has sensitive skin) we both highly approve of this beanie! 
I might have to buy a second one, because he's been eyeing it the second I let him try it on! 😅 

• Like 1

Jan 20th, 2022

I'm not going to lie; fish, aquariums, and marine biology in general are my special interests in life. 
I don't have a college education, but I was born and raised in the swampy marshes of Florida- so catching fish with my bare hands and putting lizards on my earlobes is in my blood, and the swamp is in my bones. 
(Hence my name- Swampbones. Makes sense now, huh?) 
But moving across the country to the driest and most boring place on this Earth has shown me just how much I go buck wild for fish, and research. 
If I could- I'd tell Toto that I don't want to be in Kansas anymore (Especially since the only major fish co-op is 4 hours away from me by car!)

I suppose that's my rambling and shenanigans for this journal posting for the day, as I continue researching for the 6.5 tank. 

So, as I go down the rabbit-hole of writing down water parameters for the Livebearers (Because I like to check multiple places) 
I'm noticing some consistent information, but also not a complete list of the parameters. 
And I am personally the type to have a complete list of information.
Here's the information I gathered, and if anyone has Endlers- please let me know how accurate it is! Any input is always appreciated! 

• ACO:
    Temp: Room Temperature without a heater.
    pH: 6.5-8.5
    gH: Any water hardness

• Aquarium Source:
    Temp: 64-84
    pH: 5.5-8.0 (Aim Neutral) 
    kH- 10-30

• Fishlore:
    pH: Neutral
    Water: Soft/moderately hard
    Temp: 75- 85

• FishTank Advisor:
    Temp: 76-84
    pH: 6.5-8.0
    Ammoina: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: <20ppm

• Aquarium Breeder:
    Temp: 72-82
    pH: 7.0-8.0
    gH: 12-20
    nitrate: <40

• Live Aquaria: 
    Temp: 64-82
    pH: 5.5-8.0
    kH: 10-30  

I know the next question to answer is "Well- what else do you plan to put in the tank?" 
and luckily for you, I have an answer for that! 
Since it's my 6.5 gallon tank, I was thinking of keeping it simple with a snail or two (Nerites and Mystery's are mainly available at my LFS- but truthfully I'm not picky, they all look cool!) 
I would also like to try some shrimp, but those aren't available at my LFS- and so I would definitely have to wait on ordering them online until after winter (and a possible cold spring) 
As for the kind of shrimp, it's the same as the snails- I'm not picky! They all look neat.

If I don't need the heater, then that opens up a lot more room in the tank for plants- which I have to be honest, that's what I'm really excited for. I can't wait for winter to be over! 

Anyway- I suppose that's my daily musings, shenanigans and questions for you all! 
Have a good day/night/whatever time it is.

Kat / Swampy

• Like 2

I have not kept endlers, but I have kept a few types of live bearers, and I can tell you that for the most part you don't have to sweat their parameters TOO much. They do need minerals, so somewhat harder water - over 7ph is better than under. But don't chase any specific number. Stability is more important, and each generation born in your tank will be more and more adjusted to your water. Most fish are very adaptable. 

For temperature, they don't need to be too warm. Room temp is fine for most, though I do recommend a heater with an Inkbird thermostat so you can be assured the temp stays where it should be. I'm also a control freak so I like the peace of mind.

As for snails, both nerites and mysteries are great. Nerite, you'll want to make sure your tank has a good build up of algae for them or else they'll go hungry. Mysteries are my favorite, but you'll want to make sure to feed them a calcium suppliment (I feed mine Hikari Crab Cuisine). 

Also, something to keep in mind about nerite is that if they're female they lay little white eggs everywhere that never hatch (they need brackish water to hatch), and are annoying to try to remove. Some people don't mind them, but some do. Just something to consider. 

You can see the white eggs on the rock behind Igor.

PXL_20220110_002447175_MP.jpg.46d272236f0f4551a50b07a51a06006f.jpg

I'm excited to see your journey into live bearers unfold!

• Love 2

On 1/20/2022 at 11:30 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

I have not kept endlers, but I have kept a few types of live bearers, and I can tell you that for the most part you don't have to sweat their parameters TOO much. They do need minerals, so somewhat harder water - over 7ph is better than under. But don't chase any specific number. Stability is more important, and each generation born in your tank will be more and more adjusted to your water. Most fish are very adaptable. 

For temperature, they don't need to be too warm. Room temp is fine for most, though I do recommend a heater with an Inkbird thermostat so you can be assured the temp stays where it should be. I'm also a control freak so I like the peace of mind.

As for snails, both nerites and mysteries are great. Nerite, you'll want to make sure your tank has a good build up of algae for them or else they'll go hungry. Mysteries are my favorite, but you'll want to make sure to feed them a calcium suppliment (I feed mine Hikari Crab Cuisine). 

Also, something to keep in mind about nerite is that if they're female they lay little white eggs everywhere that never hatch (they need brackish water to hatch), and are annoying to try to remove. Some people don't mind them, but some do. Just something to consider. 

You can see the white eggs on the rock behind Igor.

PXL_20220110_002447175_MP.jpg.46d272236f0f4551a50b07a51a06006f.jpg

I'm excited to see your journey into live bearers unfold!

I feel like the most important piece of information is, is that Igor has my entire heart! 😍 The coloration is just absolutely amazing and just pops out with the greens and stony greys of the background! 

and of course, you have given me so much helpful advice! Thank you so much!
Knowing this definitely eases some anxiety I have, and I am super excited to start this adventure!  

• Haha 1

@H.K.Luterman gave solid advice. Over 7 is best harder is better heater is good for livebearers. If you have soft water wondershells work…wonders. Livebearers must have calcium and magnesium. Outside of this they are very tolerant of many different parameters. They are not what I consider fussy fish. Prior to the line breeding that has genetically weakened many (endlers are the least line bred so still relatively sturdy). Live bearers were easy beginner fish because of their tolerance for wide parameters. HEATERS=INKBIRD as stated. With heaters it is not if they will fail. It is WHEN are they going to fail. Good luck looking forward to following your journey I adore livebearers. 

PS hi. Igor cute as ever 😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2022 at 10:15 AM, Swampbones said:

Jan 20th, 2022

I'm not going to lie; fish, aquariums, and marine biology in general are my special interests in life. 
I don't have a college education, but I was born and raised in the swampy marshes of Florida- so catching fish with my bare hands and putting lizards on my earlobes is in my blood, and the swamp is in my bones. 
(Hence my name- Swampbones. Makes sense now, huh?) 
But moving across the country to the driest and most boring place on this Earth has shown me just how much I go buck wild for fish, and research. 
If I could- I'd tell Toto that I don't want to be in Kansas anymore (Especially since the only major fish co-op is 4 hours away from me by car!)

I suppose that's my rambling and shenanigans for this journal posting for the day, as I continue researching for the 6.5 tank. 

So, as I go down the rabbit-hole of writing down water parameters for the Livebearers (Because I like to check multiple places) 
I'm noticing some consistent information, but also not a complete list of the parameters. 
And I am personally the type to have a complete list of information.
Here's the information I gathered, and if anyone has Endlers- please let me know how accurate it is! Any input is always appreciated! 

• ACO:
    Temp: Room Temperature without a heater.
    pH: 6.5-8.5
    gH: Any water hardness

• Aquarium Source:
    Temp: 64-84
    pH: 5.5-8.0 (Aim Neutral) 
    kH- 10-30

• Fishlore:
    pH: Neutral
    Water: Soft/moderately hard
    Temp: 75- 85

• FishTank Advisor:
    Temp: 76-84
    pH: 6.5-8.0
    Ammoina: 0ppm
    Nitrate: <20ppm

• Aquarium Breeder:
    Temp: 72-82
    pH: 7.0-8.0
    gH: 12-20
    nitrate: <40

• Live Aquaria: 
    Temp: 64-82
    pH: 5.5-8.0
    kH: 10-30  

I know the next question to answer is "Well- what else do you plan to put in the tank?" 
and luckily for you, I have an answer for that! 
Since it's my 6.5 gallon tank, I was thinking of keeping it simple with a snail or two (Nerites and Mystery's are mainly available at my LFS- but truthfully I'm not picky, they all look cool!) 
I would also like to try some shrimp, but those aren't available at my LFS- and so I would definitely have to wait on ordering them online until after winter (and a possible cold spring) 
As for the kind of shrimp, it's the same as the snails- I'm not picky! They all look neat.

If I don't need the heater, then that opens up a lot more room in the tank for plants- which I have to be honest, that's what I'm really excited for. I can't wait for winter to be over! 

Anyway- I suppose that's my daily musings, shenanigans and questions for you all! 
Have a good day/night/whatever time it is.

Kat / Swampy

Guppies today don't seem to be as tolerant as guppies of my youth. That being said, Cory is pretty solid with his recommendation for outside "pond tub breeding" of guppies, and allowing them to adjust to cooler waters each fall. 

I don't like using heaters, unless I have to. If I have to, they are controlled by a pymeter. It yells at me if the temp gets too cool or too warm, due to a malfunctioning heater. I will no longer use a heater with out a pymeter. 

My guppies I got from a local breeder don't like it any cooler than 74°. F1 guppies tolerate down to 70° F as long as it's a gradual adjustment. We will see what F2 guppies like near the end of March.

Endlers (minus a batch of bachelors in with the guppy bachelors) have been far more adaptable. First winter I had them, they adjusted from the lfs temp of 77° F to my apartment temp of 69° F. Did not impact spawning behavior. 

This winter, endler tanks have dropped to 65°F for weeks at a time with zero ill effects. In fact, I think I am getting more baby endlers🤣

The 2 nerites have also adapted to the lower temps, and shrimp have a much longer lifespan in the 60's as well. 

[Nerites are over 11 years old now, I did lose my shrimp when I got covid, endlers and plants are growing in population.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

January 29th, 2022

We're still in the process of cycling the tank- that's for sure. 
I did a water parameter check with both the 5-n-1 test strips (Because money's just a bit tight to buy other testing things with I still have stuff on hand) and the API master testkit.

Here's the results from today (If anyone is curious):

• MasterTest-
    pH: 6.0
    Nitrate: 0ppm
    Ammonia: .50ppm
  • 5-n-1:
    pH: 6.2-6.8
    gH: 25-75
    kH: 40

I will admit for the tests, I have some slight issues with seeing colors- especially on the 5n1 test strips- so if you'd like, I can do the test again and provide an image result for you guys to give some input as well. 

As someone who only has plastic plants in there, and a sponge filter I bought off of amazon (as well as the HOB filter that came with the kit aquarium) I'm still surprised by the lack nitrites or nitrates.
Because the tank is getting some algae development, whenever I end up shuffling things about the tank, it's a big old cloud of algae and decaying food matter.
Plus all the decor and the heater have the slimy coating- so at this point, is it just the waiting game?

Or is it something else?

(Also- for the specific model of the HOB filter- I literally do not know. It is not listed on any of the product boxes, or information packets, etc. The lack of knowledge hurts my soul.)

Just a waiting game. Are you "ghost feeding" the tank (putting food in to feed the bacteria)? That will help it get going.

It seems like waiting for nitrites to show up takes forever, and then once they show up nitrates seem to follow quicker. But then it's just more waiting and ghost feeding until the bacteria colony is large enough to eat all the ammonia and nitrite and keep the numbers at 0, and that seems to vary hugely for everyone on how long it takes. Algae will help.

Have you considered getting into live plants? 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 10:22 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

Just a waiting game. Are you "ghost feeding" the tank (putting food in to feed the bacteria)? That will help it get going.

It seems like waiting for nitrites to show up takes forever, and then once they show up nitrates seem to follow quicker. But then it's just more waiting and ghost feeding until the bacteria colony is large enough to eat all the ammonia and nitrite and keep the numbers at 0, and that seems to vary hugely for everyone on how long it takes. Algae will help.

Have you considered getting into live plants? 

I am ghost feeding. I am using the sample package of flake food I got, and alternating with some betta pellets. I do have some freeze dried brine shrimp- but I wasn't sure on if that would work (advice would be great on that!)

I would love to get some live plants- maybe I can convince the family to swing by the LFS to let me pick some up.
I do have some gift cards from Christmas that need some attention 😎

I did have one IAL in there, but when I added two- it brought the pH way to far down. 
So I am now experimenting with hanging them to dry via clothes pins to see if I can re-use them at a later date.

(edit, tried to remove the random hyperlink that popped up)

Edited by Swampbones
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 4:36 PM, Swampbones said:

January 29th, 2022

We're still in the process of cycling the tank- that's for sure. 
I did a water parameter check with both the 5-n-1 test strips (Because money's just a bit tight to buy other testing things with I still have stuff on hand) and the API master testkit.

Here's the results from today (If anyone is curious):

• MasterTest-
    pH: 6.0
    Ammonia: .50ppm
  • 5-n-1:
    pH: 6.2-6.8
    gH: 25-75
    kH: 40

I will admit for the tests, I have some slight issues with seeing colors- especially on the 5n1 test strips- so if you'd like, I can do the test again and provide an image result for you guys to give some input as well. 

As someone who only has plastic plants in there, and a sponge filter I bought off of amazon (as well as the HOB filter that came with the kit aquarium) I'm still surprised by the lack nitrites or nitrates.
Because the tank is getting some algae development, whenever I end up shuffling things about the tank, it's a big old cloud of algae and decaying food matter.
Plus all the decor and the heater have the slimy coating- so at this point, is it just the waiting game?

Or is it something else?

(Also- for the specific model of the HOB filter- I literally do not know. It is not listed on any of the product boxes, or information packets, etc. The lack of knowledge hurts my soul.)

I can give some suggestions on your cycle. The API kits are reasonably accurate so I generally trust their readings. I don't know about the 5-in1 though.

Unfortunately your cycle will slow to a crawl at pH of 6.0. I'm assuming your 40 KH alkalinity value is in ppm or mg/L (which are the same thing)? The bacteria need alkalinity to reproduce and when that goes below 40 ppm and pH below 6.5 they'll still slowly eat the ammonia (very slowly) but the population won't really grow very fast.  

You can wait it out, probably for months, or you can up your alkalinity to about 75 ppm until it's cycled and when your population is big enough you might not have to add alkalinity anymore as long as your water changes keeps it at around 40.

• Like 2

January 30th, 2022

As the always amazing @H.K.Luterman suggested, I went off on an adventure today go get some live plants for my tank. 
So with my ACO beanie on, I hiked my way through the miles and miles of pet aisles- swallowing all the temptation and impulse buying- to the live plant section. 

and I'll be honest... Only one plant had a label.
And those were the Marimo moss balls.

Which I bought, by the way- I've been wanting them since 2010, and it is high time that I have them in my life! 

I didn't take pictures in the store- since that would be rude- but here is my loot from my quest (note, my pictures are in the middle of me taking them apart to put in the tank, because I remembered then to take them) 

PXL_20220130_203444679.jpg.6dbe2dd77772ba56bf99c307bed3cf89.jpg

Here is what I am labeling for now the "unknown tall plant" I think it could be Vallisneria

PXL_20220130_203441207.jpg.aa1ce58d49676f281f182a5f2c38e798.jpg

This also came off the "Unknown Tall Plant"- it was embedded in the rock wool! Just one tiny little bulb, all on it's own. I have my highest hopes that this one survives the best. 
I won't lie- I might've already named it.

PXL_20220130_204043892.jpg.ee66bb8d05e0720b4ae255172f39adb2.jpg

This one I don't remember the name of either- but all I know is that it reminds me Parsley, and that's all I really care about. 
It's staying in the planter, since there wasn't as much root growth as the other one, so I want to wait to let it develop before I mess with it. 

The moss balls... Are rather sad. For the ones I had found to be the best of the bunch- they do not "feel" as internet articles describe it to be. 
You know- squishy. 
I think I got a rock wrapped in moss... and for the price I paid, I am a little disappointed in myself for hyping myself up for 12 years 🤣  Oh well! 
Live and learn! Either way, if they grow- fantastic! If not, hey! I get more rocks! Neat!

And now, I sit here and wait to watch the aquatic grass (melt and then) grow.

• Like 3

February 2nd, 2022

Turns out when the family and I went to the LFS they bought me some "Betta Bulbs" as a surprise! 

I have.... No idea what plant they will turn into. But I followed the instructions- as best as I could, I need to get more lava rock into my tank for all the plants to have space for the roots.

And now we are about 4 days later- and they have some... fuzzy stuff? 
They were fuzzy out of the package- but brown and fuzzy, like coconut fiber. 
But now it is a white and fuzzy look. 
432713536_whitefuzztstuff2.jpg.9b51b3536599e977ea1cd0b0c69faa5b.jpg

915270005_whitefuzzystuff1.jpg.5cb78e9d3b0ac150462551c4ee494b96.jpg

I am looking into the Algae Identification Guide but, it's not giving me much information. 
Any advice is appreciated. 
I'll obviously keep up my research as I look into this more. 

Should I move them into a separate tank? 
I was already thinking of  water change, since my pH is still reading at 6.2 🤔

I'm worried that doing to much will stress the plants- I never had a green thumb with non-aquatic plants, so my lack of green thumb and lack of knowledge of aquatic plants is really putting me into the penalty box.

Also- from the images, you can see I removed the Hydrocotyle tripartita from the rock wool! It's doing great so far, it's moving up to the light and not at droopy as when I first took the picture. 
The "Unknown Tall Plant" (Or UTP) seems to be the same. It wasn't in the perfect condition when I got it, but the once translucent bit of broken leaf is now brown-ish. 
That is either a good or bad thing. I don't know. 

The tiny bulb from the UTP has a new growth! If you remember, this is how it looked on Day 1:

673659195_day1.jpg.9d82cd596d7bddb25d4540a9256d52bd.jpg

And here's how it looks now!

252283830_daynow.jpg.be000ffccccba0e7a8d70af9f1dd2e79.jpg

I am so proud of the little guy 😍 I can't wait to see him grow up some more. 

In some totally not foreseen   turn of events, my HOB kit filter has stopped working. Thank goodness I had already bought a sponge filter! It's not the ACO one, but trust me- that's on my list of thing's to buy for my new tank. 
This sponge filter is alright, but the sponge is too fine of a filter medium. 
But hey, it's working in a pinch, and that's what I needed it for! 

so, down the rabbit hole I go (with the faded sighs of my family) looking for a new tank and equipment- since they learned the hard way that the cheap kit tank they bought me has to have retrofitted parts. 
(And I get to have the internal monologues of "I told you so!")

Lot's of googling for me today! Algae, tanks, filters, and more! 

On 2/2/2022 at 8:44 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

The white stuff is biofilm; it likes to show up on things when first added to the tank, especially wood and plant bulbs. It will eventually go away, but if you have snails, they love to eat it. 

This just proves my love for snails even more 🥰

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/2/2022 at 7:36 AM, Swampbones said:

I was already thinking of  water change, since my pH is still reading at 6.2 🤔

Just kidding, (Take that 5-in-1 test strip)
API Mastertest Register the regular pH test at 7.6, but the high range at 7.4.
our Ammonia is 1.0ppm
Nitrites are at 0ppm
and with the nitrate we are a little darker than the shade of yellow for 0ppm, but nowhere near as orange for the 5.0ppm color. 
So I think there are some- just not enough for me to see how much. 

So woohoo! The plants are working hard! And the pH is perfect! 
I am thrilled! 

• Like 2

In with the betta bulb pack should be aponogeton ulvaceaus. It’s a fast grower and gorgeous.  I love mine. @PineSong got the betta bulb packs and turned me on to them. They may be able to tell you what plants are in the pack. As long as they are firm and not squishy they will eventually grow. The white fuzzy is just biofilm etc. I have some in my one tank that have not spouted yet. I can take a picture tomorrow so you can compare and compare your fuzz to mine 🤣. I’m very much enjoying following your adventures. Thank you for sharing 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't still have the package but I got my plant packs at Petco. Here they are in a video that I saw on Youtube, at the 33 second mark you see the list of bulb varieties. I believe your little plant that looks like a green onion is the onion plant listed. My betta bulb packages have yielded 2 aponogetons, one onion plant and a whole bunch of water lilies that I do not think are all the same variety--I have not paid enough attention to compare, but in my betta 10g they are all short and in my 20g tall there are both short and tall varieties. I have NOT fertilized the aponogeton in my 20g tall because the one in my 20L is overpowering after root tabs, and it has stayed a more manageable size.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 7:20 PM, Guppysnail said:

I can take a picture tomorrow so you can compare and compare your fuzz to mine 🤣

You know you've reached a new level of NERM when you're excited to compare fuzzes 🤣

On 2/2/2022 at 7:44 PM, PineSong said:

I believe your little plant that looks like a green onion is the onion plant listed

Green onion... oh! You mean Jerry?

500343554_daynow.jpg.bbd9cc3004af02a06be75ff643b4f737.jpg

It's possible! But he originated from the UTP rock wool, and has the same root pattern and coloration as the UTP- 
So would that mean the UTP is a big green onion? 
... as a culinary graduate- I have the morbid curiosity of asking "Can you eat it?" 
Oh boy- It's 4am, I need more coffee before I start doing weird things like eating fish plants...

• Haha 3