Kuhlis causing stress (on me not the tank)

Blaha

I turned off my ACO powerhead a week or two ago and wanted to monitor what changes happened and if I want to keep using it or let th water calm down. Things seem happier with it off because it's a little too much flow in my 29G.
I was watching my tank today and a Kuhli poked its head out of the power head, so at least one of the 6 are now living in it. This isn't the 1st thing I've had to remove because they found a way inside of it. I've had to take out some large decorations that are hollow but have holes to let water in and they were in there possibly getting stuck.
Is it okay to leave them, can they get hurt? I do plan to remove the powerhead soon but I now have to manage to get it or them out of there safely.
image.png.d5b2ccd02b1a0bcaea77cc1367661778.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

What is your tank substrate like? If you can add some fine grain sand beds and decor like driftwood to hide and “nest” under it may encourage them to leave less “natural” shelter. They’re very silly and nimble fish so I’d only be worried about damage from any moving parts. Keep an eye on their slimecoats for any signs of excessive abrasions. 

• Thanks 1

It is standard aquarium gravel. I have a system of shells and pots across about 1 square foot of floor space that nothing else can really fit in that they spend most of their time in. Whenever something new shows up they seem to need to explore it. I've slowly been changing plants with bushier plants they can weave around in.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/16/2022 at 2:27 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

My philosophy is that if they can get in a place they can get back out. I would only be concerned if they could get in something like a filter with a running impeller that could dice them up.

for kuhli this is likely true but not true for all fishes; i've heard of betta getting stuck in ceramic orients; and i had a swordtail that got stuck between a clip and a piece of zuc; badly damaged her scales trying to get out.

• Like 1