Apistogramma jumping

Stephen Zawacki

Hey guys so gotta ask this is upsetting me alot, in my show tank, I keep apistos. I've kept various pairs rare to not so rare.  The thing that is upsetting me is that at least one from every pair has jumped out of the tank and died.  I don't know whay to do it is a rimless tank without a lid,  but I always heard apistos don't jump and my last casualty was my beautiful male inka 50 last night I found him on the carpet in the morning but was doing great eating brine before.  My water parameters are always perfect so that would not cause it. And I do weekly water changes.  What I want to know should I get a new aquarium that has a lid?

• Sad 1

Does seem like odd behaviour for them, I have them in my community tank and they never seem to get the speed up to be able to jump. 

What else is with them ?  Are their multiple pairs of apisto's could it be territory squabbles ?

I would say a lid is the only way to stop jumper or  drop the water level to make it harder  (maybe do that while you sort the lid)

No the tank is a species only with just the breeding pair.  The tank is in my bedroom, would the light spook them and cause them to jump I have a fluval nano also I'm going to attempt to find a lid for the rimless.  I know it is a odd behavior, and it's frustrating me because I usually have no issues 

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

How large are the tanks and how are they scaped; with most harem breeders the female will chase the male away after laying eggs; if the tank is too small and not well scape the male may not have anywhere to go. You could cover the tank with fiberglass screening (being fiberglass it won't rust); it is cheap but won't look pretty. I've only had one youngster jump (hongsloi) when spooked as i was moving it from one container to another; but none of my adults have jumped to my knowledge (but i have glass lids). Anyway for harem breeders you need some place the male can hide from the female when she has laid eggs; and for the female a place where she can hide from the male when she is not ready to breed. Pair forming apisto are a bit better in this regards.