Small Exterior Crack in Aquarium Glass

eddie462

I have this rimmed 5.5g TopFin aquarium and I noticed this small crack in the top corner. The crack is only on the exterior of the glass. The interior is smooth. The tank has been empty for a while and has been kept indoors.

Is the tank safe to completely fill or fill below the start of the crack?285E27EF-209F-4EF6-B41F-E91A9E3B2891.jpeg.85759ef4a96c37491d582ff70a785d8e.jpeg

how should i put this.. i dont want 5gallons of water on my floor because i took a chance. if it holds water, it might go 10 years without the crack letting go, or it might go 5 hours. i would replace the tank, unless it is going somewhere 5 gallons of water wont damage anything (garage, laundry room, unfinished basement, etc).

On 1/12/2022 at 11:12 AM, bettta999 said:

i see that crack alittle to bad

On 1/12/2022 at 11:15 AM, lefty o said:

how should i put this.. i dont want 5gallons of water on my floor because i took a chance. if it holds water, it might go 10 years without the crack letting go, or it might go 5 hours. i would replace the tank, unless it is going somewhere 5 gallons of water wont damage anything (garage, laundry room, unfinished basement, etc).

On 1/12/2022 at 11:29 AM, Chad said:

I have to agree with @lefty o here. That crack has a fair chance of growing and letting go. Now, if it was in my unfinished basement, near a drain, and I didn't care too much about the inhabitants then maybe? But sadly, I wouldn't risk it.

On 1/12/2022 at 12:23 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

You could probably get away with it however I would probably just buy a new one so you don't end up with 5 gallons of water and a bunch of dead fish on the floor.

Thank you. My gut feeling on this was to not risk it, but I wanted to see what others would say. 

On 1/12/2022 at 12:26 PM, Swampbones said:

I agree- It's better to replace it than to have dead fish!
If you have the supplies / time, you can always do what SerpaDesign does and recycle the old aquarium 
(take away the broken part obviously) and make something new.
Here's a link to his channel!
https://www.youtube.com/c/SerpaDesign

Thank you. I already watch his videos and I made a paludarium so I guess I’ll make another one. 

CFED267D-A126-40F7-ACE6-F159ACC49ED8.jpeg

• Like 6

Bear in mind the way you intentionally cut glass is by creating a small scratch on one side of the glass to break the surface tension of the glass and guide it in breaking how you want it to break. So, a significant pre-existing crack is a bad idea. You could try siliconing  it from both sides and hope for the best, but I'd be nervous about using it.

Are you sure that its a crack? especially in a five gallon tank, the glass is so thin, it weill crack very easily, and Ive never seen a crack just on one side of glass. Sometimes you will get a scratch or a thin piece of silicone that will look like a crack. try taking a razor blade across it and see if it come off. If its scratched, being a five gallon and the thin glass I would fill in a bathtub or outside and see what happens.