Plant pots

Received my Aquarium Co-op plant order earlier than expected but I don’t know that I’m going to have time to plant tonight. Would it be okay to leave the plants in their pots in my tank? I’m hearing conflicting things about doing this and now I’m worried. They’ve already been in there for several hours…

• Like 2

I agree with @Streetwise and @eatyourpeas.   I nearly always put new plants direct from the shipping bag into my QT tank (if it doesn't have salt in it) or in a 5 gallon bucket full of tap water and leave it setting in my kitchen floor.  Have never experienced a problem from the rock wool or had an ammonia spike.  I can't even think of a way that plants could cause an ammonia spike just by being new.

They should be just fine in your tank until you are ready to plant.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 12:32 PM, Isaac M said:

I do not think there is any issues with leaving them in their pots, in fact, the aquarium co-op easy planters are designed to keep the plants in their pots. 

And Cory recommends the rockwool in the pots as a good way to introduce beneficial bacteria into a new tank. That should actually help remove ammonia not cause it to spike. 

• Like 1