Guppy Color Surprises and Darn My Plants

PineSong

Today while I was working in the kitchen I was staring into my tank and thought "Wow, that's a really pretty magenta and purple guppy!" 

Then I realized, hang on a minute-- I don't have any magenta or purple guppies!

On closer inspection I see this is one of my juveniles who has colored up without my noticing; there are so many plants in there it's easy for me to miss one fish. His potential fathers are both blue and orange so no clue where the pink and purple came from. Guppies are miraculous!

I tried very hard to catch him but due to the out of control aponogeton I failed completely. I'm going to try next time I feed them an O-nip tab.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 1/5/2022 at 11:24 PM, Guppysnail said:

That is awesome. I so hope you can get a picture of him. You made aponogeton my new favorite plant. I ordered 5 more bulbs in addition to the original 4. 😁

I still love mine, but man it makes it hard to catch fish!

• Haha 1

I got this gorgeous fella out of blue female guppies that I got from a fellow NMAS club member. The entire aquarium was blue guppies, and the males had these beautiful long blue tales on blue-black bodies.

Meanwhile, the fry looked like this:

16415185017945748947972070771291.jpg.9c6b3db38d12f3fa5ce646401c4b02f6.jpg

Upper rt corner, best picture I could get.

Definitely doesn't look like his daddy, despite coming out of a species/color variation specific tank. Yay for sleeper genetics!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/6/2022 at 8:25 PM, Torrey said:

I got this gorgeous fella out of blue female guppies that I got from a fellow NMAS club member. The entire aquarium was blue guppies, and the males had these beautiful long blue tales on blue-black bodies.

Meanwhile, the fry looked like this:

16415185017945748947972070771291.jpg.9c6b3db38d12f3fa5ce646401c4b02f6.jpg

Upper rt corner, best picture I could get.

That's amazing!