Canister filter????

BuzzDaddy21

I`ve been looking & looking in the forums to find what someone said about canister filters so they might help me. but I can`t find it.

Anyway, I would like to know about the hoses and shut off valves & the pieces that go in the tank. (I`m sorry can`t think of the names 😕)

I`m not looking at the unit itself just the parts that are used with them.

Also, what types of media are best?

I'm also a fluval owner (307) I got it as a complete set up with my tank so it was predrilled for the pipework and fittings but it's just an in take and return they are through the bottom on my tank but I think hook over options exist.

Media I use the ceramic and sponges it came with I just replaced the carbon with more ceramic.

I have a fluval 207, used all the foam provided and then crammed pot scrubbers into the rest of the bins. 3 months in and all seems to be working great. But this is my first canister and I have yet to open it so my perspective isn't time-tested yet.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 8:06 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Do you just need the intake and return equipment?

Yes, on all equipment. (To be able to get filter up & running & ease of maintenance.)

I should have said from the start that I just received a Fzone 15L filter yesterday, I debated a long while on Fluval but didn`t want to worry about plastic ever breaking. (Had problems with a plastic filter years ago, of course they come with all parts needed.)

I can`t believe of all the different canisters available today.

On 1/5/2022 at 6:14 PM, Guppysnail said:

What questions can I help you with?

I`ll get back to you.

Thanks

• Like 1

I use all fluval 07 series.

All the same ones?? I`ve been looking at the Fluval line for next 40B build. (I have noticed that a lot of money can be wrapped up in the Fluval line.)

Also seems that they come with everything needed to start up a tank.

When using a canister filter is it wise to go bigger or not?

Aqua neat 30 ppi matten filter foam

I think the number 30 is more dense than a 40?

The smaller the number the finer the media?

What is the range of the media? (I hope these are the right words I`m using.)   

The important thing is the volume of the cannister - how much room does it have for filter media?

The flow rate (gallons per hour or GPH) is important, but not as important as the volume of the canister. The more volume, the more biological media you can put into the canister.

The foam media is described using pores per inch (ppi). The more pores per inch, the smaller the pores are. 30 ppi foam is generally considered biological filtration because it does not catch much debris. But 40 ppi foam is considered mechanical filtration because the 40 ppi pores are smaller and catch more debris.

According to aquariumscience.org, 30 ppi foam is the most efficient biological media. 40 ppi foam gets clogged up too fast to be a good biological media. With nothing but 30 ppi foam in my canisters, I open them for a light cleaning only every three months or so.

I have no mechanical filtration in my canisters, and I find that I don't need it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 11:48 AM, HH Morant said:

The flow rate (gallons per hour or GPH)

I would not imagine the flow rates are accurate with any container. (Maybe empty / no media.)   

On 1/7/2022 at 11:48 AM, HH Morant said:

40 ppi pores are smaller and catch more debris

I was way off on this.   

"I would not imagine the flow rates are accurate with any container. (Maybe empty / no media.)"

You are absolutely right, @BuzzDaddy21. 

The published GPH for canisters or pumps is not the GPH that one gets when he actually uses them.

As you point out, the stated GPH rates are the amount of water the pump will move with no media in the canister. Obviously, nobody uses it that way.

But the major problem is that the stated GPH rates assume the pump is moving water horizontally, on the level. But everyone puts the canisters below the aquarium, so the canister is having to push the water up 3 or 4 feet, and often more, depending on the height of the stand and the height of the aquarium. This is called "head pressure," and it drastically reduces the number of gallons which any pump can move in one hour.

The fact is, almost nobody really measures the output coming out of the nozzle into the aquarium. If they did, they would find that the number of gallons moved per hour is not nearly what they thought it was.

In addition to head pressure, the following factors reduce the amount of water moved by a pump:
1. Length of the tubing - in addition to height, most installations require that the tubing run horizontally or diagonally for some distance.
2. The number of elbows, or other fittings or bends which change the direction of flow.
3. Any reduction in the diameter of the tubing. If the pump outlet is 1 inch in diameter, but it is pumping into 5/8-inch tubing, and that 5/8- inch tubing is running into a 1/2 inch nozzle system in the aquarium, flow will be significantly decreased.

• Like 1

@BuzzDaddy21; I've used a Marineland C-220 canister filter for about five years now and I've had no issues with it. I removed everything from the media trays and replaced that media with filter foam made for this filter in all trays. As long as I can see that water is moving at a good clip and my aquarium water parameters are safe for my fish, I don't care about the GPH, "head pressure," or anything else. My fish are happy, I'm happy, life is grand.  

• Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 8:39 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Fzone 15L

Is this the one that looks like a stainless steel coffee dispenser? 

I remember seeing someone do a review on that.  I vaguely remember him saying he attached his own pump to it, and it is on the outside.  He saw that as good design because it's replaceable, and you get the flow rate you want. However, he also said what everyone said above regarding flow rate. 

I'm curious to see your setup when it's done.   Personally I don't have a canister.  But if I ever go bigger, I consider the Fzone for the reason above.  Otherwise, I may just try a DIY one. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:27 PM, HH Morant said:

But the major problem is that the stated GPH rates assume the pump is moving water horizontally, on the level.

I have never seen a canister filter at level or above a tank. Don`t these filters only pump water out, ok I don`t know these work yet, but will learn. I`m confusing myself. 😕 (Creates a vacuum?) 

On another note, how big of filter would a 20L need.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:10 PM, Gideyon said:

I'm curious to see your setup when it's done.   Personally I don't have a canister.

I`m doing the Fzone 15L on a 40B, this will be the first canister, no the second one in 30years plus. (Not much luck with first one.)

Hope to have the 40B up & running in a couple weeks. (I will have pictures & will try to post.)

I will redo 4 more tanks, and will try fluval on some.

Yes, sometimes I just go off the deep end.🤪

Fluval comes complete for a rimmed tank and I use each of the 07 models. 107 and  207 are just perfect for 20long 107 light stock 207 med stock and 307 on heavy waste high stock are 3 of my 20 longs. They are gravity fed so the canister needs to be under the tank. Fluval are very easy to prime. My first ever canister was fluval 307 took about 30 minutes including rinsing media to install. You do need to purchase silicone lubricant for the o rings. I use Aqua top bought on Amazon. If you would like tomorrow I can take pictures of my setup in the tanks so you can see. Somewhere around page 11 I think of my journal I show the inside of a 407 I’m setting up and how I set it up. Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:31 PM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Would like to know what to use with a rimmed tank.

Eheim AEH4004310 Spray Bar Set 494 Canister Filters Parts for Aquarium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014FIOQC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_P81XBHAH05BRBA7NPWNA

JARDLI Glass Lily Pipe Inflow with Surface Skimmer for Aquarium Planted Tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ2DV9W/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_H1VGJ8Y2K863DKSQT2K6?psc=1

Eheim AEH4004412 Double Tap Connector 494 Canister Filters Parts for Aquarium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004132FGO/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_D7ZRDR6WTCZC2HPWDEZ0

This is what I use. If you buy Eheim Classic canisters, most come with double taps.

And make sure the sizes match.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2022 at 12:59 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Eheim AEH4004310 Spray Bar Set 494 Canister Filters Parts for Aquarium

This looks interesting, would think about putting at the end of tank, 40B, what about noise? Are these made to move water around. How would this compare to other types. (Glass inflow ones with that strange shape.)

I read some reviews, and someone said that they drilled the holes a litter bigger. What's your thoughts on this?

I also might have to get a heater at some point, will that spray bar move water around the tank? (Small Discus?)

On 1/8/2022 at 7:20 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

This looks interesting, would think about putting at the end of tank, 40B, what about noise? Are these made to move water around. How would this compare to other types. (Glass inflow ones with that strange shape.)

I read some reviews, and someone said that they drilled the holes a litter bigger. What's your thoughts on this?

I also might have to get a heater at some point, will that spray bar move water around the tank? (Small Discus?)

They are quite. The spray bar is the output and provides superior surface agitation.

• Thanks 1