Glass surfing or saying hello?

Lexi B

I got a new betta two weeks ago, and I've been a bit worried about his behavior. If he can see me in the room, he comes to the whichever glass he can see me through and "wiggles" about or swims back and forth. It looks a lot like glass surfing to me, but he only does it if he knows I'm there and also haven't fed him yet. 

My other two bettas also will come to the front glass when they notice me, but are not nearly as wiggly/pace-y as the new guy. They just hang out and stare at me. 

Should I be concerned or is this just a Kuzan thing 

On 1/2/2022 at 6:19 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Sounds to me you got a betta with a big personality- awesome. If it's not chronic up and down motion even when you're not there it's not a glass surf I'd be concerned about. He just wants your attention. You should try Betta agility with them. 

Betta agility? I've never heard of it, but it sounds right for him. He's easily the speediest Betta I've ever owned.

Currently I'm trying to train him to flair at a pen haha

You can use an airline ring or feeding ring and train them to go through when you dip it in the water. You can get small floating balls and have them push them. Some you can train to jump out of water for a treat (that one scares me but there's lots of videos on youtube). I started training my last betta but unfortunately she passed away and I won't keep them anymore. 

On 1/2/2022 at 6:43 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

I think you just have a very active betta which is great! There are many toys for bettas that you can purchase so they can use that energy like floating mirrors and other neat things. 

haha i have the betta mirror, but he seems to enjoy pushing the floating ball a lot more than he flares at it!

On 1/2/2022 at 6:23 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

You can use an airline ring or feeding ring and train them to go through when you dip it in the water. You can get small floating balls and have them push them. Some you can train to jump out of water for a treat (that one scares me but there's lots of videos on youtube). I started training my last betta but unfortunately she passed away and I won't keep them anymore. 

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I didn't think i could love a pet i never touch so much, but the term "wetpet" is very accurate. My betta seems to enjoy playing with different items in the tank, so i think i'll definitely give them a try!

• Thanks 1