Tank stand concerns

beaka

Hey all. I'm looking into buying this 40g breeder tank and stand combo second hand. Apparently it was sold as a set from a reputable store. To me, this stand does not look strong enough to support the tank. It's being sold at a good price, but the stand really concerns me, as I see no center brace on it at all. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 11.23.25 PM.png

Edited by beaka

These wrought iron stands were super common years ago. I never had any issues with them collapsing on me - the biggest thing is making sure that:

A) The tank is rimmed, so that the weight is distributed on each corner of the tank and not all the way around the perimeter of the tank,

B) There's a leg sitting directly under (or very near) each corner of the tank

Seems to be like the stand meets both of those criteria. As far as the lack of a middle brace, flexing should only be a concern if the tank isn't sitting on a level floor, I think. So as long as everything is leveled, you should be fine. If you're concerned about it, it wouldn't be difficult to add a support in the middle - you could use iron if you had to the tools around, but you could also just cut a 2x4 to fit snugly and hammer it into place.

• Like 2