Good plants for a guppy/shrimp breeding tank

hsyoon

Totally agree, plants that are easy to move and not uproot are ideal for breeding. I keep mostly bare bottoms tubs / tanks with java moss, plus floating plants, like hornwort, salvinia, and frogbit.  I also use emergent pothos, philodendron, peace lilies, and lucky bamboo to deal with excess nutrients and make the top of the tank/tub look more interesting.  The bare bottom and moss look may not "look good" as a proper aquascape, but it doesn't bother me much, as then I don't worry about messing up some special scape that took hours to design and plant whenever I need to net out fry / females / whatever.

Another plant that has done super well for me in my guppy breeding tank is Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'. LOTS of hiding places for fry, and it looks really cool.  Another look that I'm really loving currently is Dwarf Sagittaria in front and Vallisneria in back.

Good luck!

On 12/30/2021 at 2:36 PM, PedroPete said:

Totally agree, plants that are easy to move and not uproot are ideal for breeding. I keep mostly bare bottoms tubs / tanks with java moss, plus floating plants, like hornwort, salvinia, and frogbit.  I also use emergent pothos, philodendron, peace lilies, and lucky bamboo to deal with excess nutrients and make the top of the tank/tub look more interesting.  The bare bottom and moss look may not "look good" as a proper aquascape, but it doesn't bother me much, as then I don't worry about messing up some special scape that took hours to design and plant whenever I need to net out fry / females / whatever.

Another plant that has done super well for me in my guppy breeding tank is Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'. LOTS of hiding places for fry, and it looks really cool.  Another look that I'm really loving currently is Dwarf Sagittaria in front and Vallisneria in back.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your detailed guide!

• Like 1

I love Java Moss as well and I agree I wish it grew faster. It’s also great to take a pinch out and put into a fry box. I’ve had success glueing it on drift wood in my bare bottom tanks. It looks great and eventually gets massive.

My new fav is guppy grass though. It’s hardy and easy to move when netting fry. It also looks great. 

I liked hornwort but it is just too dirty for me. It was constantly shedding excess needles on the bottom. 

I do have some water lettuce still. It’s also hardy and fast growing. I swear I pick out so much each week it’s ridiculous. 

Pick which works best for you! 

cheers 

throw a few moss balls in for fun

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 10:52 AM, Coof said:

I love Java Moss as well and I agree I wish it grew faster. It’s also great to take a pinch out and put into a fry box. I’ve had success glueing it on drift wood in my bare bottom tanks. It looks great and eventually gets massive.

My new fav is guppy grass though. It’s hardy and easy to move when netting fry. It also looks great. 

I liked hornwort but it is just too dirty for me. It was constantly shedding excess needles on the bottom. 

I do have some water lettuce still. It’s also hardy and fast growing. I swear I pick out so much each week it’s ridiculous. 

Pick which works best for you! 

cheers 

throw a few moss balls in for fun

Thank you, I cannot buy any moss balls here in BC CANADA because they were carrying invasive species. I will probably buy Java moss and guppy grass, and I will see if I can get my hands on some water lettuce.

• Like 1