Pea Puffer Aggression

Kata

Hey Im kind of new to the whole fishkeeping thing and to this forum. Thats why I might need some help!
Basically, I got a 20 gal planted tank with 5 pea puffers in there. I tried to create as much hiding spots as I can and grow plants everywhere. I also feed them atleast every second day mostly every day though. 
Sadly my peas still seem to hate each other and are very territorial and chase each other around alot. I know that thats kind of normal to some degree but I heard everyone say that as long as you have lots of plants and stuff it wont be problem. So as a noob I wanted to ask if there is more stuff I should try or check on? What could be a reason or is it just how they are? Did I just get extra aggressive ones?
Thanks for the help in advance ❤️

Welcome to the forum, pea puffers are awesome! I’ve had mine close to a year now and seem to have gotten lucky with no aggression issues so far. Every fish can be different of course but from what I understand like you said if there’s enough line of site blocks and hides I would think you could make 5 in a 20G work. With that being said you could have 1 (or 5) that will always be super aggressive. Keep a close eye and see if you can find a single aggressor and separate. In my first set up with them I had in a 20G with vallisneria from front to back and bottom to top. Absolutely packed. Their new set up is a maze of driftwood, plants, and leafs. I have dither fish in this tank as well.4785A18D-9EF4-47ED-9791-6FE6F7532A78.jpeg.3a9764e1e6b012f69e33535f6a095b41.jpeg

7E87BF9B-1D54-4C7F-9FCE-77809D49C908.jpeg.e93b35ff57beec2fd516ee260fa90bd9.jpeg

Good luck mate 

• Love 1

I've also had mine close to a year and did have some aggression issues. How long have you had them? It may be that they are just trying to figure out the hierarchy. Can you tell if they are male and female yet? Is it one or a few targeting the others or is it all of them? 

Can you send over a pic of your setup? Do they have hiding spots? Do you have any floating plants? 

Also, they really need to be fed at least once a day and preferably small meals a few times a day to continue to stimulate them. They're smart little guys! What are you feeding them? Is the aggression related to food? 

Edited by Jennifer V
More info

So I have had them for about 2 weeks now so its all pretty early still. I could not sex them out yet, I think they are still a bit to young for that. I will send a picture of the tank as soon as Im back home 🙂 Sadly floating plants just keep dying for me I dont rly know why, so I stopped buying them. I reduced the flow and everything but nothing changed 😕 
I feed them daily and nearly only live food so they dont get bored of it.
Update photo soon! I just wanna make them as comfortable as possible.

On 1/1/2022 at 10:18 AM, Kata said:

So I have had them for about 2 weeks now so its all pretty early still. I could not sex them out yet, I think they are still a bit to young for that. I will send a picture of the tank as soon as Im back home 🙂 Sadly floating plants just keep dying for me I dont rly know why, so I stopped buying them. I reduced the flow and everything but nothing changed 😕 

Are they old enough to tell their sex, yet?  If you have more males than females, that can be a big problem.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 9:18 AM, Kata said:

Try anacharis as a floating plant! I tried a bunch of floating plants too, even duckweed, and it wouldn't grow for me but the anacharis is doing great. The reason I ask is because it totally changed my peas personalities. The male I have calmed down and now they actually shoal together. 

On 1/2/2022 at 4:34 PM, Kata said:

Oh anacharis is considered a floating plant? I got that one in but I stuck all around the edges of the tank. Im trying to get some kind of jungle look with them 😄

It can be either anchored in the substrate or left floating. Try it! Mine is growing like crazy and all I did was throw it in the tank. It's one of the few actual true aquatic plants so I'm sure it'll do well for you both weighted down and floating. I'm excited to see what your tank looks like! 

On 12/30/2021 at 8:43 AM, Kata said:

Hey Im kind of new to the whole fishkeeping thing and to this forum. Thats why I might need some help!
Basically, I got a 20 gal planted tank with 5 pea puffers in there. I tried to create as much hiding spots as I can and grow plants everywhere. I also feed them atleast every second day mostly every day though. 
Sadly my peas still seem to hate each other and are very territorial and chase each other around alot. I know that thats kind of normal to some degree but I heard everyone say that as long as you have lots of plants and stuff it wont be problem. So as a noob I wanted to ask if there is more stuff I should try or check on? What could be a reason or is it just how they are? Did I just get extra aggressive ones?
Thanks for the help in advance ❤️

I’m sorry you’re having difficulty with them.  Although I never raised any I watch enough videos on them because they are so fun to watch.  If you don’t know already, Sea puffers are considered aggressive, they are carnivores and love worms 🪱

you may have two males fighting over a female or a territory in the tank. 

if you keep the water conditions as close to nature this might help them not to be so aggressive.  I don’t know about the P size but I know the other puffer fish when they mature like brackish water.  

do you have a pic of your tank setup?