Sadly most of the canister filters are run in a default setup. I did so originally way back with my Eheim 2028. It got clogged really fast, and all the bio media inside was inundated with gunk. It was a pain to clean. I was young and dumb and didn't even think about flow patterns and what kind of media to put where. So I suffered with it.

Now I have a Fluval FX6. And I'd still be suffering the exact same fate if I hadn't done some research and found a guide on how to fix the issue.

1.) I have a coarse filter sponge on the intake of the filter (which I also made from a 1" PVC pipe since the Fluval one was kind of awful), and no large trash ever even makes it into the canister itself. And the pre-filter sponge is easy to clean, easier than opening the entire canister and digging through it at any rate.

2.) As per flow patterns, I have all the filter sponges and fleece in the canister before the actual Bio-filtration media. Yes, there is some bio-filtration happening in the sponges too, but for me they are there for the mechanical filtration. Plenty of aerobic bacteria in the tank otherwise too. I replaced the original coarse filter sponges inside the FX6 with a combination of medium and fine sponges, since coarse filtration already happens at the pre-filter.

3.) I filled the baskets with as good bio-media I could find (yes I went for the brand of the guy marketing in the video, and it is good in my experience) and slapped a circular patch of filter fleece on top of the top basket in the canister. This catches whatever gets through the coarse, medium and fine sponges. 

Most of the time I just clean the pre-filter sponge when doing maintenance. Second most often I need to change the circular filter fleece. Both of which are remarkably easy when compared to cleaning the sponges located on the sides of the basket. That is still annoying to do, but I don't have to do it that often. Also, I never have had to wash or replace the ceramic bio-media in the baskets. The stuff still looks pretty much pristine and unclogged.

My aim isn't to get 0 nitrates in the tank, like the guy in the video has, I´d like to have some for my plants to snack on any time they want or need. I just want to make things easy for me.

Sadly following the instruction of the manufacturers and using the media that comes with the filters often is a recipe for a failure in that regard at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aquatoid said:

Sadly most of the canister filters are run in a default setup. I did so originally way back with my Eheim 2028. It got clogged really fast, and all the bio media inside was inundated with gunk. It was a pain to clean. I was young and dumb and didn't even think about flow patterns and what kind of media to put where. So I suffered with it.

Now I have a Fluval FX6. And I'd still be suffering the exact same fate if I hadn't done some research and found a guide on how to fix the issue.

1.) I have a coarse filter sponge on the intake of the filter (which I also made from a 1" PVC pipe since the Fluval one was kind of awful), and no large trash ever even makes it into the canister itself. And the pre-filter sponge is easy to clean, easier than opening the entire canister and digging through it at any rate.

2.) As per flow patterns, I have all the filter sponges and fleece in the canister before the actual Bio-filtration media. Yes, there is some bio-filtration happening in the sponges too, but for me they are there for the mechanical filtration. Plenty of aerobic bacteria in the tank otherwise too. I replaced the original coarse filter sponges inside the FX6 with a combination of medium and fine sponges, since coarse filtration already happens at the pre-filter.

3.) I filled the baskets with as good bio-media I could find (yes I went for the brand of the guy marketing in the video, and it is good in my experience) and slapped a circular patch of filter fleece on top of the top basket in the canister. This catches whatever gets through the coarse, medium and fine sponges. 

Most of the time I just clean the pre-filter sponge when doing maintenance. Second most often I need to change the circular filter fleece. Both of which are remarkably easy when compared to cleaning the sponges located on the sides of the basket. That is still annoying to do, but I don't have to do it that often. Also, I never have had to wash or replace the ceramic bio-media in the baskets. The stuff still looks pretty much pristine and unclogged.

My aim isn't to get 0 nitrates in the tank, like the guy in the video has, I´d like to have some for my plants to snack on any time they want or need. I just want to make things easy for me.

Sadly following the instruction of the manufacturers and using the media that comes with the filters often is a recipe for a failure in that regard at least.

Thank you so much for the vivid answers and detailed explanation with sources this is exactly what I was wanting. Too see different views and facts and even opinions  trying to decide if hobs and sponges are easier and just as good or once you start getting to the size tanks I’m at and gonna need  are canisters a must that type of thing 

On 10/6/2020 at 11:08 PM, Randy said:

It's hard to pass on the FX4 or FX6.  If you catch them at Petsmart at the right time they practically give them away for free!

I know many have had their issues with canister filters.  I currently have 10 tanks in my home, including a 180g, 125g, 75g and 65g tanks.  I have sump filters, Fluval FX filters, Fluval 30x and Fluval 40x filters, aqua clears, and ACO sponges.  FX filters were definitely purchased at PetSmart's half off sales (as @Randysaid, amazing deals or even steals!) 

My original FX6 had a leak at the pump due to a failing O-ring.  Thankfully, I caught the leak in time before any serious damage.  However, the leak only occurred after a year or so of use, and I must admit that I performed little maintenance on it.  I am committed now to opening the canisters in intervals of less than a year.  If not already depicted, these guys are champs. 

Yes, maintenance is not easy.  Yes, I have to always pull up the instruction manual out on the FXs (not the 30x or 40x) to make certain I am draining, filling them up correctly.  But that is a testament to how rare how I actually perform maintenance on them. 

I am not a Fluval salesman.  Would actually love to put sump filters and sponges on all of my tanks.  But right now, the canisters are working just well, coupled with aqua clears and sponges on the same tanks.  

Edited by d23perry

45 minutes ago, d23perry said:

My original FX6 had a leak at the pump due to a failing O-ring.  Thankfully, I caught the leak in time before any serious damage.  However, the leak only occurred after a year or so of use, and I must admit that I performed little maintenance on it.  I am committed now to opening the canisters in intervals of less than a year.  If not already depicted, these guys are champs.

I have several Fluval x07, and really like them. Very quiet, and adjustable flow. When I do open them, I'm definitely going to put some silicone lubricant on the o-rings. So easy to do, and from what I've read with leaks, well worth doing!

57 minutes ago, Bill said:

I have several Fluval x07, and really like them. Very quiet, and adjustable flow. When I do open them, I'm definitely going to put some silicone lubricant on the o-rings. So easy to do, and from what I've read with leaks, well worth doing!

Can't state enough that maintenance is the key.  However, as per my experience, it is certainly not to the levels that Fluval recommend.  I love how @Corypreaches that you cannot learn hands on.  But rather, you must immerse yourself and see what works well for you!

On 10/11/2020 at 4:52 PM, Streetwise said:

This the the safety tote for my Eheim Classic 150.

82D6CC25-6E1F-49A3-A840-01AF5EB6ECB1_1_201_a.jpeg.4ad2c7091ba980d1d14fad73fad49f41.jpeg

I have a safety tote for my original FX6 that sprung a leak due to a faulty O-ring.   But none of my other FX filters have a safety totes.  I am not going to say that it is an overreaction to use a safety tote.  But I wanted to make certain that the replacement O-ring was sufficient to stop the leaking.  And I simply have left my FX filter in the tote well after the repair/replacement. 

In the end, I don't feel that a safety tote is a safeguard, unless you are checking it daily (who does that?).

By the time your safety tote reveals there is a problem, you will have filled it up and possibly overflowed it. And that is concerning, as the electricals of your canister filter will be fully immersed in water.   Who would want to dig their hands in there and turn it off?

• Like 1