I think it really depends on size and need, stocking level/etc.  

I've done the sponges, the HOB, the canisters and even a sump.  My personal preference is still sponge first, then HOB.  Canisters and sumps do have their advantages, but they aren't always required.  Just so you know I run all 4 types right now.

26 minutes ago, aquachris said:

I think it really depends on size and need, stocking level/etc.  

I've done the sponges, the HOB, the canisters and even a sump.  My personal preference is still sponge first, then HOB.  Canisters and sumps do have their advantages, but they aren't always required.  Just so you know I run all 4 types right now.

Heavier stocked tanks do you use canister I have a 135 Oscar tank with 2 oscars and green terror have 46 gal bow front with 6 corydoras a fire mouth twig cat 1kuhli loach  2bristeld pleco then a 55 bp cichlid three baby African cichlids a bichir and smaller but not baby convict 

4 hours ago, Wisnasky-tank said:

Heavier stocked tanks do you use canister I have a 135 Oscar tank with 2 oscars and green terror have 46 gal bow front with 6 corydoras a fire mouth twig cat 1kuhli loach  2bristeld pleco then a 55 bp cichlid three baby African cichlids a bichir and smaller but not baby convict 

Check Amazon they’ve got filters for every budget. I don’t think your tanks are overstocked. 

I have two canister filters, a variety of HOB, and a lot of sponge filters. I really like sponge filters. They have never sucked up a fish or flooded my living room or made ungodly scraping noises while I’m trying to sleep and they’re like, $10 for years of service.

My HOBs are mostly used and I find them just so-so, I don’t like having to buy a sponge for the intake, cramming soggy stuff into slots and worrying about the motor burning out from me not thinking.

My canister filters.... one has worked well from the beginning. The other from the get go has had issues from flooding/leaking to air bubbles in the pipes to just being loud and annoying. Same brand, upgraded model. Like you I am cheap so the brand is not Eheim or Fluval (it’s Polar Aurora) and maybe that factors in more heavily than I thought. But for the price, I think I’m done. I’d rather sink the same cash into plants and lights and sticks and rocks. 

Your 135 is large enough to make a sump a worthwhile idea, and that has the perk of being able to also hold your heater, etc, for improved aesthetics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wisnasky-tank said:

Hello everyone was curious on your thoughts about canister filters what brands do you buy what site do you use etc I’m a poor guy lol so dose cheep mean bad? Should I suck it up and spend 300$ like I said need some opinions and thoughts thanks in advance 

It's hard to pass on the FX4 or FX6.  If you catch them at Petsmart at the right time they practically give them away for free!

I was into canister filters when I kept FOWLR marine tanks. I would end up with surprise brine shrimp in my canisters, which was cool. I also spilled a lot of water.

I have the smallest Eheim Classic 150 as my only canister today, just because I wanted to try the spray bar, and super-basic canister tech. Now I prefer to keep all water in-tank.

18 minutes ago, RovingGinger said:

I have two canister filters, a variety of HOB, and a lot of sponge filters. I really like sponge filters. They have never sucked up a fish or flooded my living room or made ungodly scraping noises while I’m trying to sleep and they’re like, $10 for years of service.

My HOBs are mostly used and I find them just so-so, I don’t like having to buy a sponge for the intake, cramming soggy stuff into slots and worrying about the motor burning out from me not thinking.

My canister filters.... one has worked well from the beginning. The other from the get go has had issues from flooding/leaking to air bubbles in the pipes to just being loud and annoying. Same brand, upgraded model. Like you I am cheap so the brand is not Eheim or Fluval (it’s Polar Aurora) and maybe that factors in more heavily than I thought. But for the price, I think I’m done. I’d rather sink the same cash into plants and lights and sticks and rocks. 

Your 135 is large enough to make a sump a worthwhile idea, and that has the perk of being able to also hold your heater, etc, for improved aesthetics.

Omg thank you so much for that very descriptive answer I have two sponges and a hang on wall filter in the 135 and an off brand canister too much ?? I have  one sponge and a wall filter in my 46gal bow front which is a heavily planted dirt substrate community tank   Thinking small canister be nice in it then a 55gal cichlid tank again sponge and wall filter 

15 hours ago, Streetwise said:

I also spilled a lot of water.

Hey @Streetwise, could you share a few examples of what to watch out for? Ben Ochart did a video on avoiding canister disasters, but I'd bet he missed some, so anything you can share would be great. I have several canisters running, and also share your "canister anxiety" lol. 

@Bill, I am not a canister expert. I have run maybe a half dozen units as a hobbyist.

As a teenager, I made many sloppy mistakes and spilled water on hardwood floors, especially moving canisters to the bathtub and back. In my marine days, I had an old Fluval, with some sort of double valve that would fail to align, and often spill water during water changes. I also had a Rena unit that eventually developed a slow leak where the power cord exited the unit. I also spilled water trying to prime certain systems. Sometimes tubing would spring and throw a bit of water.

I have the smallest Eheim, the Classic 150, on my 16 gallon bow, just because I wanted to try the simplest canister, with green tubes, and a nice spraybar. It has multiple valves that you splice into your tubing, and I like it. That said, I still keep it in a 20 gallon tote, with all the tubing drip-looping into the tote. I spill a little bit on filter cleaning, and I have noticed that some of the plastic on the canister is brittle.

Currently, I prefer to keep the water in the tanks. I say to myself, "Each tank should be its own sump." Now I mostly use air-based Co-Op Nano Sponge Filters (with check valves), or internal sponge power filters, like the MF10 units.

FYI, my experience only covers smaller tanks in residential environments, and not racks or fish rooms.

• Thanks 1

I've had Cascade and Fluval canisters. I'm a big fan of the Fluvals personally, I'm running a 306 and 407 right now. I like the double valve design, and haven't had much trouble with spilling when I clean them, which is very easy. The primer is easy, especially on the new 07 models. The cascade worked well for a while, but was miserable to prime, and I always spilled water disconnecting it. Eventually I gave up on it and upgraded to a 407 when I couldn't keep the seal from leaking anymore. I know a lot of people that have had great luck with the cheaper canisters, but it wasn't my experience.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:08 AM, Randy said:

It's hard to pass on the FX4 or FX6.  If you catch them at Petsmart at the right time they practically give them away for free!

On 10/7/2020 at 8:03 AM, Wisnasky-tank said:

Let me know when that time is lol 300$ for f6

I have to second the FX6, it is amazing powerhouse. I also love the way it burps out the air it gathers every day. The more air it burps and the more often it does it tells you when the maintenance time is getting closer as either the media inside or the prefilter is getting too clogged and the filter is sucking in air through the gap between the body and the lid.

I would however pimp it a bit. The suggested media layout is absolutely terrible considering the flow of water in it, and the media provided is a bit lackluster. I'd also make a DIY spray bar and inlet pipe for it from 1" PVC pipes (there are no suitable commercial spray bars available from Fluval or others), and it will make your life easier. 

I can link a video for the pimping of the media inside it, so your filter foam would actually filter the impurities before the water reaches the bio-media. I assume it's ok to link videos 😛

I was really surprised to see FX6 really being over $300 on US Amazon 😮 Usually everything is cheaper in Murica, but FX6 is just over 200 € on German Amazon. Even 1:1 conversion is usually too much to hope for here.. wonder what is so special about this. Anyway, Black Friday is coming soonish, I'd look for a filter during that day, unless you really really need it before that.

On 10/6/2020 at 4:16 PM, Wisnasky-tank said:

Hello everyone was curious on your thoughts about canister filters what brands do you buy what site do you use etc I’m a poor guy lol so dose cheep mean bad? Should I suck it up and spend 300$ like I said need some opinions and thoughts thanks in 

This hobby can get pricey to say the least, but you can take shortcuts here and there and it won't kill you. I wouldn't take that approach on the filtration though. Contrary to what Cory says, I think canisters are the best way to go for show tanks. They're quiet and less obtrusive. So far Fluval is my favorite, but they can be expensive depending on the size of your tank.

On 10/6/2020 at 5:16 PM, Wisnasky-tank said:

Hello everyone was curious on your thoughts about canister filters what brands do you buy what site do you use etc I’m a poor guy lol so dose cheep mean bad? Should I suck it up and spend 300$ like I said need some opinions and thoughts thanks in advance 

Before you get a canister, please be sure to watch this. They're not for everyone, nor every tank. 

Just now, Wisnasky-tank said:

Ty kindly

9 minutes ago, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

I really love my canister filter and it is very easy to use. I have a Fluval 407 for my 75 gal and payed about $150. As I said it is very easy to use and only takes about .5 hour to clean monthly. Hope this helps!

What fish you keep stocked I have a 135  gal it came with a 305 but when researched this is more for a 40gal 

515D004F-97C4-4EB0-B19A-643A2913C25B.jpeg