How to get rid of snails

I started a 10 gallon freshwater planted tank 5 months ago (no fish yet) i used eco complete for my substrate and started seeing snails. I know snails are good for your tank but i dont want them at all, i net them out every time i see them, ive tried medications. ( copper, snail zap, kordon rid-ich plus) Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions ???? 

When you add fish (depending on the plan) they will eat the eggs. Then diligent netting will eventually clear them. It sounds like pond snails or bladder snails--they breed like crazy. You can also trap some of them by baiting a cup with cucumber or an algae pellet. If you lift it straight up they will be caught. But without some kind of egg control, you will have to work very hard.

• Like 2

I use a 2-day alum bath of 1 Tbsp alum per gallon of water to kill snails and snail eggs on all my new plants, but certain fragile plants (like guppy grass and pearl weed) did not do well in it. I've never tried treating an entire aquarium with it, but if you don't have any fish or shrimp in the tank that you care about, it might be worth a shot. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 12:51 PM, Irene said:

I use a 2-day alum bath of 1 Tbsp alum per gallon of water to kill snails and snail eggs on all my new plants, but certain fragile plants (like guppy grass and pearl weed) did not do well in it. I've never tried treating an entire aquarium with it, but if you don't have any fish or shrimp in the tank that you care about, it might be worth a shot. 

I will def try that thank you😀😊

On 10/6/2020 at 11:57 AM, Brandy said:

When you add fish (depending on the plan) they will eat the eggs. Then diligent netting will eventually clear them. It sounds like pond snails or bladder snails--they breed like crazy. You can also trap some of them by baiting a cup with cucumber or an algae pellet. If you lift it straight up they will be caught. But without some kind of egg control, you will have to work very hard.

Thank you💙

I second what Irene said about using Alum. I used it on a 20 gal long tank that had plants but no fish and it cleared out all the snails. . The tank is super clear, too! Alum is used in water management to clear up muddy or green water in ponds, so that makes sense. (search "alum use in waterways"). It is toxic at high concentrations and can cause pH fluctuations, so I kept fish out of that aquarium for several weeks and water changes and let the cycle recover. 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 9:36 AM, be28ans said:

I started a 10 gallon freshwater planted tank 5 months ago (no fish yet) i used eco complete for my substrate and started seeing snails. I know snails are good for your tank but i dont want them at all, i net them out every time i see them, ive tried medications. ( copper, snail zap, kordon rid-ich plus) Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions ???? 

I know you don't want snails, but it may be difficult to permanently rid yourself of them, if you will be adding more plants in the future, etc.   It may be easier to just control or limit the population of snails, rather than totally trying to always eliminate the snails, ultimately providing a more beneficial overall eco-system.  Just a thought.  ☺️   I guess I am a snail fan, lol.  🐌

9 minutes ago, DaveSamsell said:

I know you don't want snails, but it may be difficult to permanently rid yourself of them, if you will be adding more plants in the future, etc.   It may be easier to just control or limit the population of snails, rather than totally trying to always eliminate the snails, ultimately providing a more beneficial overall eco-system.  Just a thought.  ☺️   I guess I am a snail fan, lol.  🐌

Lol Thank you. I know i get it. They are good for the eco system. I did add an assassin snail